For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Prayer for a gig

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18177
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Prayer for a gig   Sat May 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Tonight, me & Tim (and Jessica & Rick) are playing at a Christian bookstore in Lebanon, TN @ 6 PM. We would appreciate any prayers we can get if you see this in time.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
sabidoo

Number of posts : 2068
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Sun May 25, 2008 8:03 am

So how did it go?????
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14677
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Sun May 25, 2008 3:45 pm

What I can do is pray for you that God will bless this gig and touch the hearts of the crowd.
Good luck you all.
And ... tell me what you played and how it went please.
Ohh yeah, I am always curious to know what you played.

Last edited by avdb11 on Tue May 27, 2008 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Sun May 25, 2008 4:52 pm

It went okay. We only played four songs due to this being a big open mic night at this Christian bookstore in Lebanon. It was being held outdoors, so there was no place to plug up our amps. So, Rick and I had to just go direct to the PA using direct boxes. The bass was killing the small PA that we had to use. I had absolutely no distortion or any effects available as all that was built into my amp. So, we sounded a lot lighter than normal!

Here's the four songs we did:

Amazing Love
Are You Listening?
Talkin' 'Bout Jesus
God With Us (MercyMe)

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18229
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Sun May 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Missed the chance to play for you, hope you had a blast.

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Mon May 26, 2008 7:11 am

The songs are beautiful.
I like them all.

Now I would like to know what a PA is.
Both Mission Of One songs are my alltime favorite songs.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Mon May 26, 2008 7:27 am

PA stands for Public Address system. It is the mixer and speakers through which a band plays.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Mon May 26, 2008 7:36 am

Is that harder to play with than with an amp?

I remember one of the guitarists of LND had to play with a PA too and it caused him many problems.
Back to top Go down
sabidoo

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Mon May 26, 2008 11:03 am

avdb11 wrote:
Is that harder to play with than with an amp?

I remember one of the guitarists of LND had to play with a PA too and it caused him many problems.

There should NEVER, for ANY reason be an amplifier within 1000 miles of a sound stage. If the P.A. can't handle the job without instument amps, then one is wasting time being on that stage. (or the sound man needs to be fired)
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Tue May 27, 2008 6:51 am

That theory works, Sabidoo, if the guitar player has an outboard effects unit where he can still get his sound. Without that, or an amp, you're pretty much dead in the water when it comes to getting the sound you like.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2949

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Tue May 27, 2008 7:49 am

Sometimes the PA doesn't have the balls to do the job, and a lot of bands like using their amps as monitors.

I sometimes only run the vox and kick through the PA and let their cabs do the rest, but it's not a big room. This Sat will be my first outdoor gig but it's not a rock/metal show.

The concert I went to last night, the PA couldn't handle even the vox though the real issue is the bands had their cabs too high. If I was running sound I would have made them turn them down. Wish I had earplugs.

sabidoo

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Tue May 27, 2008 11:15 am

topshot rhit wrote:
If I was running sound I would have made them turn them down.

EXACTLY the reason you can't allow amps onstage. Doesn't matter how good you are, how good you think you are or how much "experience" you have. You WILL continually turn your volume up uP UP until the PA is just wasting space and the entire sound begins to turn into a roar with the occasional drumbeat, IF the drummer can play loud enough.

Did a show in MN a few years back. All week I kept telling the bassist, guitarist and keyboard to turn DOWN and let the PA do it's job. They SWORE that they never touched their volume....HA

The next to the last night, it got so bad that all I did for a full set was to give a count to start them and then I stopped playing. NOBODY ever knew. Each person was competing to get thier "sound" above the mix until nothing could be heard but a loud roar. After the show, I told them how I had stopped playing. They didn't even have a clue. The next night, they kept their amps all but turned off and the PA sounded sweeter than a c.d.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Tue May 27, 2008 11:17 am

Quote :
Wish I had earplugs.

I actually take earplugs with me to every concert now. I hate leaving a show and having my ears ring for hours on end. Now, if the volume seems to high, I pop those babies in. I'd rather the sound be a little muffled than to suffer any potential hearing loss.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Tue May 27, 2008 11:19 am

Quote :
You WILL continually turn your volume up uP UP until the PA is just wasting space and the entire sound begins to turn into a roar with the occasional drumbeat, IF the drummer can play loud enough.

Don't you mean, "IF the drummer can play at all"? lol!

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Tue May 27, 2008 2:52 pm

I have always used my amp as a monitor, but Sabidoo is right affraid you cannot turn your amps up once the stage sound and PA is set.
I almost beat a bass player to death with a music stand once because he kept turning his amp up, and claimed he wasn't.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 am

I used to get so angry when I used to play bass for a Assembly of God church here. During our pre-service practice, they would fuss and fuss about how loud the bass was. The PA level was set the same as the previous week as was my bass amp. But, because there were no people in the sanctuary, everything was louder. So, I'd turn down the volume and they'd set the PA accordingly. Then, when service started, the soundman would be motioning for me to turn up again because he couldn't hear me. He'd max out my volume in the mains and still not hear me. So, I'd set my volume back to where I started. Problem solved. It was like that every week.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 am

I can see how that would happen.
But I don't think that was the case with this show, because we where outside, and it was during practice before any of the people arrived.

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for a gig   

Back to top Go down

Prayer for a gig
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1