For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers   Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:47 pm

Yesterday I received in the mail for review a CD entitled "Terra Nocturne" by a group called Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers.

The CD moves in a cool Pink Floyd influenced progressive rock direction: slow and moody vibe to the music with a lot of keyboards, synthesizers and saxophone. Never been much of a Pink Floyd fan but kind of like the approach to the genre taken by Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers. It would receive a positive review... if I review it.

My main concern - and the reason I am posting it here and not in the music section - is I am not completely comfortable with the lyrical direction taken by the group. The albums liner notes go into detail abut a "story of a journey through the emotions and transcendental experiences which transpire during the course of one particularly lucid evening". The song "Open Door" is described as "the soul leaves the body for the spiritual lessons and astral journeys..."

I do not know about you, but when someone starts using terms like "transcendental experiences" and "astral journeys" bells and whistles start to go off. It almost evokes visions of "new age imagery" or some guru sitting alone atop a snow covered peak.

Am I overreacting here? I am just not comfortable with the terminology. Google "transcendental experience" and it brings up some pretty weird stuff. Do I want to expose the visitors to Angelic Warlord to transcendental experiences and astral journeys? My gut feeling says no.

That said, the Contact page at the site is pretty straightforward about the type of bands I cover: Christian bands, bands of Christians or mainstream bands with Christian members. Not once in the past two years have I had to contact an artist submitting a CD and ask where they are coming from in terms of their lyrical direction and/or spiritual beliefs. But looks like the time has come.

Any suggestions on how to best approach this matter? Any thoughts on the subject matter presented by the group? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18174
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers   Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:28 pm

If it were me, I think that I would just contact the band for further clarification to the meaning behind their lyrics.

If you don't feel comfortable with the lyrics, then you are not obligated to review it. I would definitely tell the band why I wasn't going to support them on Angelic Warlord. It is your site, after all--and a mighty fine one at that!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18213
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers   Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:19 pm

If it were me I probably would not review it.
Posting any band on your site seems like an endorsement from you. So I certainly wouldn't take it lightly (and I'm sure you don't).
The terminology sounds a little "new age" to me too, and I don't think I would be comfortable with it.

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers   Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:44 pm

Just want to thank both of you for the input. After sleeping on the matter and giving it a bit of thought, I decided the best course at this point is to send the artist an e-mail requesting clarification in regards to their lyrics and storyline behind the album.

Staybrite, you hit the nail on the head when you state that any band I cover at the site is an endorsement. So my inclination is not to review the album - again, the terminology is to "new age" for my taste - but thought I would get the artists input first.

Thanks,

Andy
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18213
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers   Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:34 pm

Good idea.
Thumbs Up

PostSubject: Re: Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers   

Back to top Go down