Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

That's right, I love EPs

Go down 
+4
ChosenOne
7thSecond
Disposable HERO
Bsax
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bsax

Bsax

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-06-25

That's right, I love EPs Empty
PostSubject: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 2:58 pm

So I have to say I'm pretty curious to get some opinions in regards to EPs. I noticed in the "symbols" thread from about a week ago and other various threads that a lot of you guys aren't fans of the good old extended play.

So how come?

What I love about an EP is of course you are paying less money for less music on the CD however in doing so, if you've got a limited budget for Cds as I do, you get to collect a sample of a ton of EPs from a ton of bands as opposed to a few LPS from only a few bands (because your paying more). The other thing that I really like about them is I find they eliminate the skip factor. You know how on almost every full length CD there's a least one track that you naturally feel the need to skip over because it just doesn't fit your mood or maybe you don't like it. I generally find that the tracks on an EP are some of the best your going to get and not at all skip worthy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the artist usually gets a good deal on them too right? because they're still getting promoted and putting out new stuff but for half the production/studio cost, of course when they later make the full length they'll pay more but in the short term it pays off.

So that friends, is my completely un-nessasary rant on my love of EPs, I'll be back for an encore same time next week Razz
Back to top Go down
Disposable HERO

Disposable HERO

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 4:08 pm

To me an EP is just another album by the band. If I'm really enjoying the music I will usually wish it was longer. But I never think about the cost factor vs. music included. It's just another album in the discography, another selection of music from the band.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 9:36 pm

Bsax wrote:
So how come?

What I love about an EP is of course you are paying less money for less music on the CD however in doing so, if you've got a limited budget for Cds as I do, you get to collect a sample of a ton of EPs from a ton of bands as opposed to a few LPS from only a few bands (because your paying more).
Most of us here are quite a bit older then you and hence have an almost unlimited budget when it comes to cd's. That probably has a lot to do with it.
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 11:16 pm

For me it's the fact that ep's are just so short. Usually only about 5 or 6 songs. I would rather hear a full length album with 10-12 songs on it. Yes they may cost a little bit more but they are certainly worth it. Look at the new Project Damage Control cd that is coming. They are releasing 2 eps with I think like 7 or 8 songs on each disc. I know that they explained thier decision and I think that cost was an issue. But to me why buy 2 cd's when they could've just been put on 1.

The same goes for re-issues of cd's that just came out. For instance I bought the Disciple Scars Remain disc when it came out. Then a few short months later it's re-released with new songs. One song "Things left Unsaid" is really good but I wasn't about to buy the cd again for that one song. I know that those type of decisions come from the record labels and not the bands. I would just rather pay $.99 to download the song into my mp3 player then shell out another $15-$18 for a cd I already have.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 12:39 am

Depends, really. Some eps are total gold, and some albums are really eps with 4 or 5 more lame songs tacked on. I like quality, not necessarily quantity.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:21 am

I don't really care for EPs due to the length. It's gonna take up as much space in my storage rack, so put some extra songs on it! Sure, it's cheaper for the musician to spend less in the studio doing less songs. But, on the manufacturing end, it costs the same to press a CD whether it has 5 or 12 songs on it. The booklet, if you get a lot of lyrics, band info, and pictures can increase with more songs, but not generally that much.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 am

My complain about EP's is they are so short.
You like listening to the music and then the CD is over.
I love to read the lyrics of the CD I am listening too.
EP's seldom have lyrics to read.

A full length album is completer more band info, lyrics.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:17 am

I have no problem with EPs. What I don't like is when they issue an EP (or two) and then have the same songs on a later CD (eg, Harmony).

Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23424
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Depends, really. Some eps are total gold, and some albums are really eps with 4 or 5 more lame songs tacked on. I like quality, not necessarily quantity.

Completely agree. I would much rather buy an EP with 4 great songs, than an LP with 5 or more "filler songs"
I like EPs just as long as the bands sell them cheaper than LPs. I own at least a dozen EPs

topshot wrote:
I have no problem with EPs. What I don't like is when they issue an EP (or two) and then have the same songs on a later CD (eg, Harmony).

Completely agree with this too (didn't Random Eyes just do the same thing?).

Good thread sax girl. Thumbs Up

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Random Eyes and Harmony both have done this. I believe that Decyfer Down is doing the same thing. It is getting to the place that the EP is just an advertisement for the full length release.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Disposable HERO

Disposable HERO

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Like the promo sampler used to be. The discs they used to give out free at the Christian bookstores to hook you.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:53 pm

Now they want to charge you for those, too! LOL

Back to top Go down
Disposable HERO

Disposable HERO

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Charge you more than the cost of the final CD. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That's right, I love EPs   That's right, I love EPs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

That's right, I love EPs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: