For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My new Bible

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8863
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: My new Bible   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59 pm

As some of you may know, a while back my truck was robbed and among other things, they stole my Bible bag (maybe thinking it was a camera bag or something)... in it was 17 years of notes, Greek studies, special tabs for quick ref, etc. I was devastated. After several months of searching (posting cash rewards), I gave up and began searching all my old notes and rough drafts of previous studies so I could incorporate them into a new Bible. (thank God I had made photocopies from some of my more in-depth studies)

Then I found this:

After listening to the angels singing and the lights shining down upon it, I realized... hey, why not ??

It's smaller than my Bible and fits in my Bible bag.
With a 120 GB HD and 1GB ram, it's got the guts I need for Bible study on the go. I've got over 2 dozen Bible versions on it (but set to auto open my most used ones - NKJV, NIV and TNIV). It was so cheaply priced, I was able to buy Pradis and Libronix and add a ton of commentaries, history, Greek & Hebrew study, devotionals, etc.
It gets 3+ hours on a full charge, so I can go through Church service or Bible study without a plug. Bye bye paper notes everywhere.
Oh, and the speed of searching for a passage or book is incredible.
I back up everything once a week in case sticky fingers think they need this more than I do.
This thing is my American Express card, I got it on me always cuz it's compact and light. It does everything a laptop can do with the exception of a cd-rom.
Besides Bible study, I've got games on it, built in webcam for chattin with my daughter at college, all my pharmacy work notes I need (no more carrying folders), I've got movies on it as well as home videos and my entire photo album, and of course - hours of rockin' Christian tunes to listen to.
Another plus is, it has XP, which I'm partial to... tried Vista, don't like it.

People at church who've noticed it think it's a great idea. I'm totally loving it. Been studying the 7 feasts and Daniel 9 - I back my studies up on an external and my home pc and know that if this gets stolen/broken, I've still got my Bible studies which are far more important.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18063
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:48 pm

Very cool, but how strange to be bustin open your laptop during the pastors sermon to read along in your bible.
I hope the light from the screen doesn't bother the people behind you.

Number of posts : 14568
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Cool you have found a new way to read in the Bible and make notes of the sermon.
I still read my paper Bible in church and make notes of the sermon in a book I use for "sermon notes'.
It's sad your Bible is stolen guily with all the notes you have made in 17 years.
I hope the person who has stolen your Bible will be blessed by reading in it.

We have had a study about Daniel two years ago and it has been very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Quote :
I hope the light from the screen doesn't bother the people behind you.

Nah, it's actually smaller than it appears in that picture. And it's bright enuf in church that it doesn't glare or nuthin. I also keep it silent so no one hears anything.

Trust me, I get very annoyed when I hear unnecessary distractions (I was an usher for several years) and I make sure it's discreet.

However, those who have glanced over my shoulder and seen it think it's a fantastic idea... hmmm, I doubt I'm the first person to be doing this.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

However, those who have glanced over my shoulder and seen it think it's a fantastic idea... hmmm, I doubt I'm the first person to be doing this.

Ok then, I'm officially jealous. (thou shalt not covet)
Thanks for causing me to sin brother.
Tongue

ROTFL

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:46 am

in my office files I have almost 20 years of Bible notes from Church, home studies, retreats, etc... I plan to start going thru all those and speaking* the most important ones into my new study tool -The Mini Laptop Bible. This way I can begin to incorporate these notes into my main notes.

My newest studies shall far outshine those studies that were stolen from me ! In yer face satan !!!

* Dragonspeak - the tool I used to speak all my notes into my computer throughout 2008

Last edited by Guilty/Forgiven on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:48 am

Quote :
I'm officially jealous

Dude, this tiny computer is way cheap ! you can find it for as little as 340 bucks !
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Number of posts : 3681
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:14 am

Looks great.

Fundy

does it have any games on it?

Razz

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Quote :
does it have any games on it?

I never have time to play them, but yes, Ive got my oldies but goodies...
NES and SNES Emulators with dozens of the top name games.
In addition to those, I got PacMan, Elf Balls, Jezzball, Tetris, and many more.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2924
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:22 am

So doesn't your typing (or talking) during church disturb your neighbors or don't you take notes during the service?

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 am

Quote :
So doesn't your typing (or talking) during church disturb your neighbors or don't you take notes during the service?
Smile

The talking part is only for when I'm by myself inputing lots of notes... the typing is dead quiet, and only my immediate neighbors in church are aware of this tiny pc - but it's my wife and son (and they already know I'm nuts so it's ok).

It was kinda funny today tho - the pastor was demonstrating different ways of wording in an Isaiah passage and began to ask "who has the NKJV?" some raised their hands, including me - "who has the NASB?" some, including me... people who know me started cracking up cuz I kept my hand up the whole time he was asking who had with them a certain version, and of course, I have them all.
Guess you had to be there. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:07 pm

That's funny. Sounds like something I would have really gotten a kick out of.

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm impressed you can type without making a sound. If I go slow I suppose I could as well.

I like eSword, but I only have maybe 6 English translations. There are others I'd also like but they are not free. I take my laptop to studies, but not to Sunday worship.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 am

Once I started doing much of my studies on my original laptop (15" screen), I began thinking how cool it would be if I could load it up and carry it everywhere with me- but decided against it cuz it was too geekishly large.
This little guy is so small tho - 8" screen and half the thickness of my Bible... it's very discreet. It takes a little getting used to with typing tho.

PS -eSword is cool cheers
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17978

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:51 am

Does eSword have multiple translations you can use?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:30 am

SwordSearcher and e-sword are free Bible softwares that have different Bible versions, commentaries, Greek and Hebrew refs, and dictionaries. Granted the libraries are full of public domain material, many are great references.

I personally use (and recommend) two different softwares: Libronix and Pradis -both of which I have purchased several reference works and continue to build my digital library.

It's great to be able to pop open my tiny laptop anywhere I am and have 1000s of reference works including all my own studies....
I love it !
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:15 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Does eSword have multiple translations you can use?
http://e-sword.net/bibles.html
The non-free ones are listed first now. You can select whichever version you want to see at any time or you can create a custom parallel Bible.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new Bible   

Back to top Go down

My new Bible
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1