Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts

Go down 
+7
kethdredd
7thSecond
nazpastor
Follower of Jesus
alldatndensum
rockerVu2
Dynamis
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

"World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts Empty
PostSubject: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:59 pm

OK, so I get home from work and what do I find in the mail box? The new X-sinner! Just finished giving it the first spin and here are my initial thoughts:

This is much rawer and rougher in comparison to "Get It" and "Peace Treaty"- but intentionally so on the bands part (IMHO). Last year I interviewed vocalist Rex Scott and this is what he had to say about "Peace Treaty":

Quote :
What are your feelings about X-Sinner’s sophomore release Peace Treaty? Are you happy with the way the album turned out?
No. Particularly in the guitar tone area. Pakaderm with John and Dino
Elefante had their style of production and we really didn't care much
for it. That's why we re-tracked it and re-released the songs on Fire It Up in 2006.

So I guess you can understand that X-Sinner was backing away from some of the polish and gloss of the Get It/Peace treaty era.

I also asked Rex about the groups upcoming album (entitled "Back In Red" at the time") and he offered the following:

Quote :
How is work progressing on Back In Red? How is the writing and recording process going? Will it be in the same style as previous X-Sinner albums?
It will be by far the best sounding record we've done. The guitars are
turning out to be exactly what we want and they will even out perform Fire It Up
tracks. This thing will be a full on wall of Marshall stacks on ten
sounding record. We are about half way thru the recording and hope to
have it done by late summer 2007. The songs are very powerful anthems
much more in the vein of Get It but with great guitar tones. I scream a
lot more on this record than on Fire It Up/Peace Treaty. These are by far the best songs we've written. I guess like a fine wine you get better with age! Ha ha!
My first impression after listening to WCIB is that it features the best guitar sound of X-Sinner's career. I will not be able to judge the low end until I listen to it on a better sound system (thin sounding compute speakers do not always allow you to get a good feel to an albums production).

But the group is definitely going for the AC/DC style sound, particularly the vocals. Whether it is to a fault only time will tell on subsequent listens. But the album, on first impression, seems to be a solid 75% ir 80%.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 am

Andy that's great you interviewed Rex Scott.

I have to confess when I listen to "WCIB" in the livingroom the sounds is different than when I put the album in my computer and listen there.
Maybe it's me?

It takes a cuople of listenings before you "know" an album better.

Quote :
But the album, on first impression, seems to be a solid 75% ir 80%.
That means X-Sinner get's a good mark of you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 11:00 pm

I don't have it yet, but I've heard negative comments about the production.

I'm interested to hear a final report from you. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Quote :
I don't have it yet, but I've heard negative comments about the production.

I'm interested to hear a final report from you.

OK, giving it a second listen and this is much different from "Get It" and "Peace Treaty". Production wise, it lacks the gloss and polish of the two but remember that X-Sinner did not like the production of either. I might describe the sound here as rawer but what we get in the process is a more energetic performance from the band.

If you were expecting "Get It Again" or "Another Peace Treaty" then you might be disappointed; but otherwise approach with an open mind.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 11:27 pm

Quote :
I have to confess when I listen to "WCIB" in the
livingroom the sounds is different than when I put the album in my
computer and listen there.
Maybe it's me?

It takes a cuople of listenings before you "know" an album better.

I agree with both of your points. The album sounds much better upon second listen. And I am looking forward to hearing "WCIB" in the 300 watt car stereo as opposed to the computer speakers.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Quote :
The album sounds much better upon second
listen. And I am looking forward to hearing "WCIB" in the 300 watt car
stereo as opposed to the computer speakers.

I do most of my listening in my truck, and the bigger system does not add much.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 9:53 am

I jump in the car to listen how "WCIB" there sounds.
The music is ok for "WCIB", it are the vocals.
When "WCIB" was done on the way they recorded "Get It", "Peace Treaty" it was a perfect album.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 9:58 pm

I don't mind the change in guitar tones. Its the vocals that annoy the crap outta me. I hate the sound Rex uses on this. I have no interest in this album any longer.

He may not like Peace Treaty, but if this sound is what they wanted on that record, then I'm really glad John and Dino saved them from it!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 10:02 am

The vocals sound weird at first, but I can live with them. They were wanting that AC/DC vibe, and they got it.

My beef has been with overall sound quality. Even with it maxed out, you cannot hear the bass or bass drum. They are largely lost in the mix.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 10:07 am

Now, maybe it was a better idea if X-Sinner will sound like themself instead of AC/DC?
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Up to the fifth spin now and am REALLY digging this- almost to the point I am going to say it is a great album and give it a grade in the 90% range. There are so many hooks here and so much energy.

I just cannot see what people do not like in the new X-Sinner. Yes, I can see how some might not get into the vocals but Chris sums it up best in that X-Sinner goes for the AC/DC vibe and hits the nail on the head.

As for the production and sound quality, I also do not get what is missing here. When I crank it in the car the low end is huge; sure the bass is not mixed clearly like on the new Menchen CD but you can still hear it.

Once again, X-Sinner is trying to re-invent themselves by drifting away from much of the polish characteristic to "Get It" and "Peace Treaty". Just my two cents...
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 9:59 pm

Dynamis wrote:

Once again, X-Sinner is trying to re-invent themselves by drifting away from much of the polish characteristic to "Get It" and "Peace Treaty". Just my two cents...

And therein lies the problem. There are hundreds if not thousands of bands who would love the opportunity to have that polished sound, but end up with rough sounding demos because they can't achieve it. To my ears, this disc sounds like it was done in someone's garage and sent out to try and get a record deal back in 1984 or so. That sound just doesn't cut it in the digital age, at least not for me. Groups like Harmony and Theocracy have GREAT sound, GREAT mix, GREAT vocals and sound like professional releases. I have tried to get into the new X-Sinner, but I cannot tolerate the vocals and the mix. I bought it to support the band, but if they release another in this vein, I won't. They can attempt any sound they like, but if I want a garage band from 1984, I will see what I can dig up on cassette.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 12:20 am

Doesn't really sound like something I'd be real interested in. If I wanna hear AC/DC I just play one of my AC/DC albums. I much prefer their Def Leppard sounding stuff anyway. My favorite X-Sinner songs are "Don't Go" followed by "You Got Me".
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 12:47 am

Quote :
And therein lies the problem. There are hundreds
if not thousands of bands who would love the opportunity to have that
polished sound, but end up with rough sounding demos because they can't
achieve it. To my ears, this disc sounds like it was done in someone's
garage and sent out to try and get a record deal back in 1984 or so.
That sound just doesn't cut it in the digital age, at least not for me.
Groups like Harmony and Theocracy have GREAT sound, GREAT mix, GREAT
vocals and sound like professional releases. I have tried to get into
the new X-Sinner, but I cannot tolerate the vocals and the mix. I
bought it to support the band, but if they release another in this
vein, I won't. They can attempt any sound they like, but if I want a
garage band from 1984, I will see what I can dig up on cassette.

I'm right there with ya', bro.!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 1:52 am

I got some Ken Taplin stuff I'll trade you guys for it. Smile
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 8:26 am

If I didn't have all the Ken Tamplin stuff, I might be tempted.

Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 11:16 am

alldatndensum wrote:
If I didn't have all the Ken Tamplin stuff, I might be tempted.

Same here. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd

kethdredd

Number of posts : 116

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 4:16 pm

If any of you guys have the "Loud n Proud +2 disc", that shows the album I was hoping for, it features some great tracks without the Elphante polish but it doesn't have the absolutely comical vocals that WCIB has.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 12:54 am

I'm finally getting to listen to this, and I don't see much problem with it production-wise. They got the sound that fits the music, though I'll agree the kick should have been bumped up more. I can hear the bass fine. It doesn't sound like a demo to me - I cannot say the same for any of Saint's releases, for example. My problem is I never liked AC/DC so I'm not keen on a band trying to duplicate them (while I did like JP in Saint's case).

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:40 pm

Quote :
I can hear the bass fine.

Really? I have to max out the bass on my truck stereo to be able to tell the bass from the guitars. Sure, there is some low end, but the instruments are just not separated in the mix at all.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 12:13 am

You're hearing's probably going out on the low end. Twisted Evil It's not as pronounced as some are (which I often find annoying), but I can follow it well enough.

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 9:48 am

Quote :
You're hearing's probably going out on the low end.

Perhaps, but I usually keep the bass on my truck stereo at about the halfway mark. Unlike my dad and brother, I want to hear more than just the bass and bass drum. I like hearing the mids and highs too! But, when you only use 2 guitars, a bass, and the drums, ALL the instruments should be clear--especially from a band that KNOWS how to get that defined of a sound.

I can hear the bass just fine on the new Eden's Way, Nailpoint, Wisdom's Call, etc. just fine, thank you very much.

Back to top Go down
Dreams

Dreams

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Got the CD today...and...filed it away under "for collection purposes only".

If they were trying to copy AC/DC they failed miserably.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 5:50 pm

I agree

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 4:23 am

I've held off buying this. I may still get it, as I think that the problems mentioned won't be a huge issue with me, as I did like the demos. But I'll just give it a while and see if there's not a lot of other CD's to buy this year.

Impellitteri - Feb/Mar
Stryper - June/July
Sacred Warrior - PLEASE 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloodgood - looking slightly doubtful
Whitecross - Dead and buried

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts   "World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"World Covered In Blood" - initial thoughts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: