Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

90's alternative

Go down 
+6
topshot rhit
dale434445
Staybrite
Addy
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 8:38 am

As I was feeding my Zune yesterday, I started coming across some of my old 90's alternative like Rob Walker, Wish For Eden (Rob's first band), Grammatrain, etc. It really got me to wanting to hear some of that again.

I know--a true metalhead would never admit to liking this stuff. Good thing I don't claim to be a true metalhead!

But, over the years, I managed to let go of some of my collection. I got rid of all my Tragedy Ann and Reflescent Tide, and the first Johnny Q. Public CDs. Anyone still have those? They are now out of print, and were not big enough sellers the first time around to probably ever be reissued.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 8:56 am

It seems your Zune stays hungry for more rock & roll.
When your Zune has eaten enough he's burping to say "thank you for this cool music"? lol!
Back to top Go down
Addy

Addy

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-11-18

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:06 am

Theres nothing wrong in liking Non metal stuff Im a big believer in that

Though I gotta say Ive heard of Wish for Eden and Johnny Q but havent heard any music
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockcityonline.net
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23424
Registration date : 2007-02-08

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 3:57 pm

I have Wish For Eden's "Pet the Fish" and I can actually get into it (in small doses). Never heard anything from Tragedy Ann or Johnny Q Public. I did just hear a Reflescent Tide tune on Topshot's show and it was really good. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that.

If your in an alternaitve mood how about putting some Stir or Human on your zune?

Admin
alldatndensum

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 4:46 pm

I believe I could put some Stir on there and it would be appropriate.

I found my Johnny Q. Public CD.

I still need to find either the CDs or MP3s of Reflescent Tide and the first two Tragedy Ann projects.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
dale434445

dale434445

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2007-04-27

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 5:20 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

I love the this cd, a very underrated album.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:01 pm

I've got one of the TA CDs, One Nation. Until just recently I also had the RT - I was surprised someone finally had wanted it. Perhaps you can persuade me to send you the files/CD.

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 11:31 pm

I can send the TA files I have. It would be an even swap of out of print MP3s.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:28 am

hey what about me!?!?

Fundy

Number of posts : 5327
Registration date : 2007-05-04

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 2:59 am

Send me all your CD's Staybrite, and I'll send you a thank you card.

Very Happy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 9:11 am

Stir is very cool. I've collected some song of them.

Staybrite, Fundy will only send you a card when you send him your "babies"
I think you can ask much more as "thank you" for this.
Maybe you have some jobs to do for Fundy?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:49 am

Quote :
hey what about me!?!?

I am thinking that lots and lots of money for me to invest in a new studio would be a fair asking price.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Fundy wrote:
Send me all your CD's Staybrite, and I'll send you a thank you card.

Very Happy

Wow what a fantastic deal, how could I pass that up? Rolling Eyes

Alldat wrote:
I am thinking that lots and lots of money for me to invest in a new studio would be a fair asking price.

Ditto what I said to Fundy.

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-03-15

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 5:22 pm

dale434445 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

I love the this cd, a very underrated album.

Agreed! I think it's much better than most people give it credit for.

Grammatrain, Clash of Symbols, Johnny Q. Public, Wish For Eden, yay! I came into the whole "hard music" thing right about the point where the "old guard" of hair bands and metal were giving way (in the mainstream, anyway) to the grunge/alternative movement, so I embraced it all at the same time. I'm just as big a fan of Nirvana as I am Guns 'n Roses, so I got into several Christian alternative bands like that. I actually saw Grammatrain and Johnny Q. Public live in '96 w/ White Heart and Petra - awesome show.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Static Fuse

Static Fuse

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-01-18

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Quote :
I came into the whole "hard music" thing right about the point where the "old guard" of hair bands and metal were giving way (in the mainstream, anyway) to the grunge/alternative movement, so I embraced it all at the same time. I'm just as big a fan of Nirvana as I am Guns 'n Roses,

That's EXACTLY how is was for me! So I wind up playing both in Static Fuse, which is old school hard rock, and doing my solo stuff, that's totally grunge.

I LOVE alternative/grunge. Here are some of the Christian grunge/alt bands I dig:

Bleach -- love all their albums, particularly "Space." Their singer Davey has kind of a Billy Corgan sound to his voice.

Common Children -- Their first record, "Skywire," is my favorite. Emotionally drenched heavy grunge. Their second album, "Delicate Fade," is much more mellow. Haven't heard the 3rd album. Amazing songwriting... in fact, their singer/songwriter/guitarist Marc Byrd wrote the praise song "God of Wonders," as made famous by Third Day.

Elder -- dark, heavy grunge, kind of similar to Stavesacre

Stavesacre -- actually saw these guys open for Project 86 back in the day and got to hang with them after the show. Very unique sound, maybe comparable to Tool, but definitely not a knockoff

Forevertree -- pretty much an Alice In Chains knockoff with some great songs. "Live or Die" could have been on Alice In Chains's "Dirt" (and for the record, Alice in Chains is in my top five bands of all time -- I actually got to see them live in '96, one of their last few shows Layne ever performed at!)

Human -- a VERY overlooked alt/grunge band. Very emotional stuff. I've seen them compared to Bush before, but I don't think they sound anything like them. Maybe like if Jars of Clay had lots of heavy guitars but kept their emotional sound.

Miss Angie -- very cool punk/pop/grunge stuff, sounds a little like Hole. She graciously signed my cd cover for me last fall!

Poor Old Lu -- if there was such a thing as "progressive grunge," this is it. Genius stuff, but not really sure how else to describe it.

Skillet -- Love their first record, can't stand the rest. The first record is a blatant silverchair knockoff, but I love it.

Sweet Nectar -- another band that defies description, but definitely in the alt/grunge genre

Third Day -- I know, I know, they're not alt/grunge anymore, but I love their Conspiracy #5 album. They were one of the first bands i ever heard, and I thought they were Pearl Jam when my friend played them for me years ago. And I think their new record, "Revelation," is their best since conspiracy #5!

This Train -- a weird mix of alternative and rockabilly. I mean, mix the Stray Cats with the Gin Blossoms, and you get This Train.

Sometime Sunday -- pre Tragedy Ann project by Mikee Bridges. I have two of their albums. They're not quite hooky enough for my tastes, but if you're a fan of Nirvana's "Bleach" album, you'll probably dig this stuff. Nirvana always claimed to be punk meets Black Sabbath, and Sometime Sunday kinda has that vibe.

Tragedy Ann -- Mikee Bridges's new band after Sometime Sunday. Much more mainstream than Sometime Sunday, but still very cool. I love all three of their albums. Kind of a Nirvana meets Foo Fighters kind of sound.

Wish For Eden -- alt. metal, and the first release on Tooth and Nail Records.

Big Tent Revival -- their Amplifier album is great, kind of a Wallflowers type sound

Fono -- Met my wife at a Goo Goo Dolls concert 10 years ago. Fono opened for them. They sound like an edgier Goo Goo Dolls.

Smalltown Poets -- an okay (but not great) gin blossoms knockoff

Stir -- one of the greatest Christian grunge albums! This album is about 80% stone temple pilots, 20% alice in chains. Very heavy, cool stuff.

There are others, these are the ones off the top of my head...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:02 am

Quote :
Skillet -- Love their first record, can't stand the rest. The first record is a blatant silverchair knockoff, but I love it.

I'm just the opposite with Skillet. I can't stand anything before "Alien Youth" and think they are doing better music now than ever before.

Quote :
Sometime Sunday -- pre Tragedy Ann project by
Mikee Bridges. I have two of their albums. They're not quite hooky
enough for my tastes, but if you're a fan of Nirvana's "Bleach" album,
you'll probably dig this stuff. Nirvana always claimed to be punk meets
Black Sabbath, and Sometime Sunday kinda has that vibe.

Sometime Sunday is awesome. You hit the Nirvana/Black Sabbath combo right. Sometime Sunday was just a grittier, rawer sounding Rose. It's not for everyone, but I still love those two albums.

Quote :
Third Day -- I know, I know, they're not
alt/grunge anymore, but I love their Conspiracy #5 album. They were one
of the first bands i ever heard, and I thought they were Pearl Jam when
my friend played them for me years ago. And I think their new record,
"Revelation," is their best since conspiracy #5!

That has to be my least favorite Third Day disc, and I don't really know why. There are some great songs there. Maybe it had to do with my hiatus from Christian rock for a few years and missing this. I got back into the band when "Time" came out. The debut and "Time" seemed to be extensions of one another with Con. #5 being the odd man out. Over the years I have learned to like it, but it's still not my favorite.

As for "Revelation", that is in my number 2 slot right behind "Time". When it comes to Third Day, there isn't really a bad one in my book.

Back to top Go down
Static Fuse

Static Fuse

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:15 am

Quote :
I'm just the opposite with Skillet. I can't stand anything before "Alien Youth" and think they are doing better music now than ever before.

Well...I agree that the newer albums are better, I just don't like 'em as much Smile But I do think that their current sound is more true to who they are, and they're really good at it. I just don't really like the post-grunge rock scene.

Quote :
Sometime Sunday was just a grittier, rawer sounding Rose

Agreed.

Quote :
That has to be my least favorite Third Day disc, and I don't really know why. There are some great songs there. Maybe it had to do with my hiatus from Christian rock for a few years and missing this. I got back into the band when "Time" came out. The debut and "Time" seemed to be extensions of one another with Con. #5 being the odd man out. Over the years I have learned to like it, but it's still not my favorite.

I know what you mean. I have albums like that, that I just wasn't in the right place to get into them. I also agree that Time is more of a continuation of the debut than conspiracy was. The only song I really like off of Time is "Never Bow Down." I think I just don't really dig them as a southern rock band (I'd rather listen to the Crowes or Big Fat Jam). I like their more alternative stuff better.

As for Conspiracy #5, yes, there are LOTS of great songs on it! I love You Make Me Mad, How's Your Head, Alien, I Deserve (probably my favorite Third Day song), Who I Am, and Gomer's Theme.

Quote :
When it comes to Third Day, there isn't really a bad one in my book.

Agreed! Love those guys! My wife had the honor of having them sing Happy Birthday to her on her 16th birthday after a show!
Back to top Go down

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:46 am

Conspiracy #5 is my favorite Third Day album. I even have the pre-release single. Never have liked anything past that quite as much.
Back to top Go down
Static Fuse

Static Fuse

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:13 am

Almost forgot -- not recorded during the 90's, but Tait's "Empty" absolutely rocks! And I can't STAND dc talk -- but I love this album. Pete Stewart played guitar on it, and also the guys (I forget their name), the brothers who played on Petra's "God Fixation" album (which is about the only Petra album I really like, cause it doesn't sound like Petra lol).

Great alt rock kind of album!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:34 am

After just a short while, I got tired of the Tait album. I traded it away and can't even remember one song from it.

But, the Pete Stewart disc I do remember well! Loved that album! Maybe I'l feed that to the Zune......

.....with "Conspiracy No. 5" just in honor of you guys.

Back to top Go down
elsid

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:52 am

alldatndensum wrote:
After just a short while, I got tired of the Tait album. I traded it away and can't even remember one song from it.

But, the Pete Stewart disc I do remember well! Loved that album! Maybe I'l feed that to the Zune......

.....with "Conspiracy No. 5" just in honor of you guys.

There is a pretty large production change with Conspiracy No. 5. Third Day used Sam Taylor (King's X, Galactic Cowboys, Atomic Opera, Awful Truth) to handle the prodcution and some other items.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Static's mention of the Forevertree disc reminded me of another band. Torn's album "Tree" (from 1999) was definately an alt-metal/grunge sounding disc . I believe it was one of those one-man kind of projects. I really dig it.

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-03-15

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 5:06 pm

^^ Yeah, "Tree" is an okay album, not too bad.

"Conspiracy No. 5" rules Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:10 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I can send the TA files I have. It would be an even swap of out of print MP3s.
I'd prefer Stir and Wish For Eden as I don't have anything from either.

I, too, really like the Torn album. Wish they had mixed the vox higher or used less processing.

Staybrite

Staybrite

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:16 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
I'd prefer Stir and Wish For Eden as I don't have anything from either.

I, too, really like the Torn album. Wish they had mixed the vox higher or used less processing.

Yes you can totally tell the production/mix was a non-pro job on the Torn album, but the emotion in those songs is just fantastic.

I could hook you up with full burns of both Stir and WFE if you can decide what you want to sell and what you want to keep from that trade list.
Laughing

90's alternative Empty
PostSubject: Re: 90's alternative   90's alternative I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

90's alternative
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: