Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Always a sucker for a good deal

Go down 
+2
alldatndensum
ChosenOne
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Always a sucker for a good deal Empty
PostSubject: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:30 pm

So I was in the local Christian Bookstore and scored for $4 that cd featuring those 2 guys from Petra. Normally, $14 which I would not get it because this was a cheap way of using Petra's name and tarnish thier legacy. The funny thing is is that there is drums and bass. Why not just bring back Louie Weaver and a bass player and just call it Petra.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:03 am

Quote :
The funny thing is is that there is drums and
bass. Why not just bring back Louie Weaver and a bass player and just
call it Petra.

Even if they aren't using Louie, why not just call it Petra? It isn't like we haven't had worship discs by Petra before. Unfortunately, this one was not good enough to be worthy of the Petra name. We don't care if they can no longer sustain a full tour. We just want some new rockin' Petra--not just some watered down remakes (almost note for note) of tired worship songs.

Bob--John--it's time to bring the Petra music machine back to life and rock it the way you want to.....not the way the industry would push you!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:50 am

Good idea to bring the Petra machine back to life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:55 am

Call me if they contact Greg Volz again... Razz
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 8:38 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Call me if they contact Greg Volz again... Razz

Call me as well, so I can make sure NOT to buy it. I'm a sucker for the Schlitt era.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Schlitt era Petra was the better era. Funny at the same bookstore they had some Grex x Volz album for the same price. Looked more like a worship album as well. About the only Petra cd I would get with Volz if I ever track it down would be Beat the System
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 5:35 pm

I really like Beat The System, but More Power To Ya and Not Of This World are just as good. I like both eras of Petra. They were different, sure, but both had their strengths. When Schlitt joined the band, they also changed producers and went with the Elephante brothers, which veered them toward a different sound than the previous records with Volz. Its hard to know what they would have sounded like with Volz and Elephantes, or Schlitt and no Elephantes. But history is history, and I like 'em both.

That being said, I'm just as glad Petra is over with. Jekyll & Hyde was okay, but nothing approaching the greatness of their 80's and early 90's output. Whether it was J&H or the praise stuff, I was done with Petra, and the next generation of fans wasn't embracing them either. These guys are in their 50's now. If they do anything, it should be mainstream rock in the vein of Wake Up Call.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
If they do anything, it should be mainstream rock in the vein of Wake Up Call.

Good assessment. "Wake Up Call" may not have been as rockin' as fans may have wanted, but it was a solid album that rocked hard enough to please rock fans, and had enough melodic sensibility to please CCM and fans into more mellow stuff. Plus, the ballads on that album were some of the best they wrote during the Schlitt era, in my view. "Believer Indeed" and "Just Reach Out" are both quite powerful, as is "In My Shoes".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Quote :
These guys are in their 50's now. If they do anything, it should be mainstream rock in the vein of Wake Up Call.

And I would be perfectly okay with that. At least you know they would be doing something that was totally them. Their fans would love them for it!

Quote :
That being said, I'm just as glad Petra is over
with. Jekyll & Hyde was okay, but nothing approaching the greatness
of their 80's and early 90's output.

I have to disagree a little here. Sure, the younger kids don't want to see an old people band rockin' out--well, unless it's at an AC/DC, Aerosmith, or Stryper show. The younger kids do buy a HUGE number of classic rock tickets if you ever go to one of these bands' shows.

Regardless of that fact, I think that "Jeckyl & Hyde" only lacked ONE element to make it be considered their GREATEST achievement. If Bob Hartman had of ripped our faces off with some good leads, Petra fans would have said that Petra saved the best for last.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:27 pm

I thought "Jeckl & Hyde" was one of their better efforts, but I liked "Wake-up Call" as well.

PostSubject: Re: Always a sucker for a good deal   Always a sucker for a good deal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Always a sucker for a good deal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: