Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your favorite SECULAR band ?

Go down 
+28
els6789
Through The Dark Radio
xenonlion
kerrick
BearDad
IM4given
Joe C
unworthy
Samson
ishmael81
Timshell64
Just_Sue
bassdude
MikeInFla
messiaen77
ProgPariah77
PouncerW
Dynamis
Addy
Driven
mr.electric40
ChosenOne
Hardkore
alldatndensum
rockerVu2
Fundy
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Your favorite SECULAR band ? Empty
PostSubject: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Since we're here mixin' it up in the "melting pot", I thought we'd stray off a little and go (oh no...) secular.

In what is called the "secular" realm of music, many of us have favorites.
Now I'm talking currently... not bitd. Before Christ, you may have had a favorite, but now do not listen to them due to their unfortunate lyrical subject matters. F'get dem...

I'm talkin' now. Do you have a fav that's considered "secular" ?

I would hafta go with Triumph (minus a song or 2 that I've deleted due to questionable lyrics). I just think they were an incredibly talented band and have some excellent songs.

On the lighter side, I still like to hear some "Jim-Approved" songs of Little River Band and Reo Speedwagon.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Well technically we are supposed to be a Christian only music discussion type site. But if we keep to this thread I'm not sure I see any harm in the discussion (Alldat can decide if he wants to discipline me later).

For several years I didn't listen to any secular music at all (and some here still don't, which is very cool). I have to confess that like you Jim, any secular music I listen to has to be very clean (and 85 to 90% of my collection is still Christian)
But these are the secular bands in my collection and I really dig them all.

Asia
Doro (a guilty pleasure)
Fifth Angel
Giant (I think a lot of "Christian only" music fans have them in their collection)
Heart (a couple)
Journey (again just a few)
Queensryche (again just a few)

I'm actually going to go back and probably pick up a few of those Triumph albums I used to have as they were one of my favorite bands.

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 pm

All in the mix:

Asia
Queen
Journey
Styx
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 7:42 am

I listen to almost no secular stuff (mainly because I find enough good stuff in the christian world to keep me entertained)

I do like the sound of Jorn Lande though - even though his lyrics can be a bit dark!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 am

To be honest I only listen to Christian music for a year or ten now.
I'm not very interested in secular music anymore.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 10:26 am

Quote :
Well technically we are supposed to be a Christian only music discussion type site. But if we keep to this thread I'm not sure I see any harm in the discussion (Alldat can decide if he wants to discipline me later).

Anyone who posts in this thread shall receive 20 lashes with a wet noodle. lol!

Except for maybe Weird Al Yankovic, I can't say that I have any secular music anymore. I guess Line Of Fire would be the closest to that, and even then that has some Christian influences in some of the songs.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Most from U2

some of past few from Alice Cooper (Along came a Spider,Dragontown,Brutal Planet,Last Temptation)

Creed

I also have the greatest hits disc from ZZ Top.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Hardkore wrote:
Most from U2

I also forgot I have two U2 albums as well.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 10:48 pm

I do have Creed's Greatest Hits. I forgot about that one.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:20 am

Bon Jovi never gets old to me. I listen to mainstream bands in the modern rock/hard rock style thou my first choice is Christian rock. I mean as long as the lyrics aren't that bad and they aren't anti-GOD I don't have a problem. I will usually scan lyrics before buying a cd thou. In this day and age I enjoy bands like Creed,Bon Jovi, Wal-Mart version Hinder, but not a whole lot more then that.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 2:05 am

Quote :
(and 85 to 90% of my collection is still Christian)

Ditto.

Quote :
Anyone who posts in this thread shall receive 20 lashes with a wet noodle.

Oww.... oww.... owww, dang those noodles hurt ! What kind are they ???

Got songs by many of the bands everyone listed, but not full albums...
Hey, ultimately all music was MEANT to glorify God - He made it, designed every note... even created one of His angels to eminate music. Unfortunately that angel rebelled and I believe the beautiful music out there that's not Christian, was MEANT to be God-honoring, but this earth's music director (again, a talent he rcvd from the Creator) takes what should have been to God's glory and gives the music lyrics that upset or downright blasphemes Him.

I said all that to say, if a secular band "get's it right" and writes a beautiful song, but adds clean lyrics to it.... then it is God honoring. Even if comes from a band who has other songs that have crap for lyrics.

What's your take ?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 8:49 am

For me, if the band has mostly garbage for lyrics, I still won't buy the CD if they get one right. If Motley Crue were to do a song about Jesus, I still would not go out and listen to the rest of their catalog. Ditto for Kiss, AC/DC, or the rest of the stuff I loved back in the day. I might buy the one track, but that would be it.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 10:48 am

Quote :
I still would not go out and listen to the rest of their catalog.

agreed [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Every once in a while I like to spin "Beth". Lyrically, it's such a selfish and silly song, but it's a classic harmless "radio" song that takes me back to the 70s (in a good way.... if that's possible)

Is there anything redeemable by Motley Crue ? From what I remember, every lyric they sung was trash.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 am

I take Alice Coopers albums "The Last Temptation", "Brutal Planet" and "Dragon Town" to be 'Christian' in content, but any of his other albums to be secular. So I have those 3 albums and also "The Eyes Of Alice Cooper".

ALthough it has to be said that I'd love to get Hey Stoopid! and Trash back in to my collection. Hey Stoopid is a great album and has lots of memories for me.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 am

Careful of the "memories". I got into a "memories" spell for a while and ended up with a few albums and songs that I ended up getting rid of... again !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Staybrite wrote:

Fifth Angel

cheers

My favorite secular band is Savatage. They have some lyrics that have Christian overtones, but they are definitely not a Christian band. Here's a very searching song, but one that comes to a great conclusion, IMO.

Quote :
Jesus
What's the reason
For these scars that will never heal
Hearts that no longer feel
Eyes that can no longer see

Jesus
What's the reason
For this child that will not survive
With all her dreams inside
Could she mean nothing to thee

And Jesus please tell me if you can recall
Just where you were when this sparrow did fall

Jesus
What's the reason
Every tear isn't weighed the same
Could you have died in vain
If we have short memories

And Jesus would you then come down from your cross
Return every nail and say we are lost

And in the dark we seek your silent company
For each hope that arrives and fades from memory
Still after all this time our loss you won't concede
For in the dead of night the rumor is
Your hands they still bleed
Still bleed
Still bleed
Still bleed

Jesus
It would seem then
That somehow you still trust
You have more faith than us
Perhaps that is how it should be

There are more lyrics in the liner notes but not in the song itself that are very interesting as well.

Quote :
I hated You for killing a child
In her mother's arms
Hated You for making her know
Her father could not protect her from Your harm

I hated Your life inside my soul
And wanted to see it end
But then I remembered that you were once a child
And I had to think again

Back to top Go down
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 6:50 pm

1) RUSH Drums

2) IRON MAIDEN Headbang

everything after that sorta moves around....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:53 am

Tall Tyrion the lyrics you have posted are the "words" of a person who doesn't know Jesus. What I hope is that Jesus will give him the answers on his questions.
How do they call it
Music with positive lyrics?

Rush -- I remember the music of Rush when I was a secular hard rock fan.
Many years ago. My favorite albums was "The Trees".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 2:33 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Careful of the "memories". I got into a "memories" spell for a while and ended up with a few albums and songs that I ended up getting rid of... again !

Exactly my story recently. I got rid of all my Rush, for good this time. Atheistic evangelism = EPIC FAIL!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Quote :
Atheistic evangelism = EPIC FAIL!! Rolling Eyes

Smile

Yeah, I'm pretty content with Trytan as a replacement for the sounds of Rush. I really dug 2112 and Moving pix, but I often wondered about the infatuation with the pentagram. They also have some lyrics I didn't feel comfortable listening to. They definitely were/are a talented band though... incredible drum-work. Just don't feel comfortable listening to 'em anymore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Rush
Asia
Dream Theater
Yes
Iron Maiden
Robin Trower
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush

I could go on, but y'all get the idea...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 3:32 pm

joe61 wrote:

Asia

Ok I don't run into too many other Asia fans, so I have to ask wich period is your favorite?

- Classic Wetton era (basically the first three studio albums)
- The Payne era (90's thru the early 2000's, Aqua, Aria, Arena, Aura, Silent Nation)
- The Returned Classic Line-up (the Phoenix and Omega albums)

I have to say I really like both the early Wetton and the Payne eras.....but I'm a bit disappointed with reunited classic line-up. I thought the Phoenix album was really weak, and I haven't even heard much from the Omega album yet.

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Omega and Phoenix aren't bad...but they're obviously not like the first three. The Payne era is way underrated IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 8:21 pm

I lost touch with Asia after the 'Aria' album, but I enjoyed all of their work up to that point. 'Astra' was a bit weak in my opinion, but filling Steve Howe's shoes would be a daunting task. I didn't care for some of John Wetton's references to the Payne-era Asia as the 'counterfeit' Asia when he was interviewed prior to the reunion tour. I do wish John Payne and the other pre-reunion members would continue as a band-they have some good things to say musically.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Morse Code, Trust, and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite SECULAR band ?   Your favorite SECULAR band ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favorite SECULAR band ?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next