Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Going digital ?

Go down 
+4
ChosenOne
Staybrite
alldatndensum
dale434445
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dale434445

dale434445

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 6:01 pm

I am thinking about going to digital music. For those of you that have started downloading, do you miss having the actual cd. I would hate to buy a lot of downloads and then feel like I need to have a physical copy.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 6:34 pm

I kinda miss not getting them on some. But, I just end up ripping them to MP3 and playing them on my Zune anyway. So, while it is nice to have the disc, they don't get played that much now anyway.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 pm

I found that I had been ripping my discs to my computer and my mp3 player to listen to them for probably the last year. (I almost never listen to the actual cds). I really thought I would miss all the liner notes (and I do kind of), but I found that after reading through them once I never even look at them again.

So for the most part I don't really miss cd's much. I'm just a little worried about a safe way to store my downloaded albums so that I don't loose them. (right now I have them copied to two seperate computers, and have been saving the mp3 files to disc....seems I can fit 8 to 11 albums on one disc).

Last year (2009) I bought 30 physical cds, and 2 mp3 albums.
This year (2010) I bought 11 physcial cds, and 25 mp3 albums.
I''ve purchased more music this year, but only spend about 2/3 of the money I did last year.

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 12:50 am

I'm still fighting the system, I still will get CD's but if there is an ep I will download that, but otherwise I keep it old school
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 1:20 am

Staybrite wrote:
I found that I had been ripping my discs to my computer and my mp3 player to listen to them for probably the last year. (I almost never listen to the actual cds). I really thought I would miss all the liner notes (and I do kind of), but I found that after reading through them once I never even look at them again.

So for the most part I don't really miss cd's much. I'm just a little worried about a safe way to store my downloaded albums so that I don't loose them. (right now I have them copied to two seperate computers, and have been saving the mp3 files to disc....seems I can fit 8 to 11 albums on one disc).

Last year (2009) I bought 30 physical cds, and 2 mp3 albums.
This year (2010) I bought 11 physcial cds, and 25 mp3 albums.
I''ve purchased more music this year, but only spend about 2/3 of the money I did last year.

I store all my music on an external hard drive. You can buy them just about anywhere. I got my 250 gigabyte hard drive at Wal-Mart for about $60 and have only filled it about a fourth of the way. Also, you can take ALL of your music anywhere you go and play them on any computer.
Back to top Go down
Ahlitah

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:46 pm

I would go digitial only if there were more albums avail in Lossless downloads such as FLAC.
Back to top Go down

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 1:07 pm

ChosenOne wrote:
I'm still fighting the system, I still will get CD's but if there is an ep I will download that, but otherwise I keep it old school

+ 1
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 9:38 pm

This music fanatic is 100 % digital.

Once my CD collection began to overflow it's original 200 count case, I started losing all my cases and putting the cds in folders that held only the cd and front cover.
About the time I exceeded 2 folders pushing 400 cds, I began burning 12 to 15 albums in mp3 format to 1 CD-R and got a cd deck that played mp3s off of the disks.

Today I have what I believe is the final ultimate music system for the "never satisfied music collector"- In my truck, a 500GB Passport USB'd to my "ACER Aspire One" mini-PC which sits on a base made for mini-PCs - plugged into the "auxilary in" on my Sony Xplod....
Buh, buh, bumpin' a shuffle of over 300GB worth of music.

My Music collection doesn't get any better than this

.....the original artwork ? Displays on the PC screen when a song is playing.
..... the insert information and lyrics ? I can get most info from the internet now-a-days
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Quote :
Buh, buh, bumpin' a shuffle of over 300GB worth of music.

Wooowww! I'm only sitting at about 120 gigs. That idea with the mini computer is a pretty good idea. I may have to consider that in the near future. I have hard a hard enough time with just a 32 gig ipod hooking to my Auxiliary port as it.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:58 am

You can find these ACER Aspire One's for as little as 199.00 - and a 500GB HDD as little as 50 bucks.
Put the 2 together and you have an entire PC music system with mega-storage for 250 bucks...

and little mp3 players with their weak 30 or 50 GB go for 200+ bucks...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 8:57 am

I don't have room in my Danger Ranger for all that hardware. Having the 120 GB Zune is enough. If I need to change stuff out, I have a Terrabyte hard drive in my house where all my new music goes.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:15 am

I also own a terrabyte HD, backing up 97.24 GB of my iTunes. Can't go wrong. Wink
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 8:55 pm

I need to get one of those external HDs or some other form of mass storage device to put all of mine on.

dale434445

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Staybrite wrote:

That is exactly what got me thinking about switching over to digital only.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:21 pm

For those with less than 160gb of tunes, get this baby, iTune playlist it and plug it into your car stereo's aux in... throw it in the glove compartment and enjoy !

Going digital ? Netboo10
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:35 pm

dale434445 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

That is exactly what got me thinking about switching over to digital only.

Yep, that and if you join a subscription site (like emusic) you can download some songs for as little as 49 cents a track. For the most part I can get about 3 albums for $16. That's what I was paying for one new cd (not including s&h)

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Since I have lots of music on my computer my hubby bought an external hard drive.
There I have a folder with all the music.
The music I download on eMusic is there too.
You know losing all the music I have on the computer is one of the most terrible things.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Quote :
You know losing all the music I have on the computer is one of the most terrible things.

I have a slight paranoia about that.... that's why I have my 300 GB collection mainly in my truck, backed up for use in the house on a 1 Tb HDD and a third back up on a 1.5 Tb HDD hooked to my PC at work.

No matter what breaks, burns, crashes, etc... I'm set.

"Rock and Roll Insurance"
Back to top Go down
Ahlitah

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 pm

This is what I do, I get an external hd for my music. Once its filled up, I buy another bigger hd and copy all the music to it with room for more. And keep the old one for backup. So if I ever have a hd fail, I will ALWAYS have my music saved.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Not "if a hd fails", but when
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Going digital ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going digital ?   Going digital ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going digital ?
Page 1 of 1