Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

C.S. Lewis.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

C.S. Lewis. Empty
PostSubject: C.S. Lewis.   C.S. Lewis. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Famous of the Narnia Chronicles he has written.
Have you ever read other books from C.S. Lewis?
What are good books to read more than the Narnia Chronicles?

I have seen two movies of the Narnia Chronicles now and know a third movies you can watch in the cinema.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

C.S. Lewis. Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.S. Lewis.   C.S. Lewis. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 11:42 pm

I have read two of the 7 Narnia books, "Mere Christianity", and "The Screwtape Letters". While Mr. Lewis is a great theologian, I find his writing style to be dry. I had trouble really getting into the books I have read of his.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

C.S. Lewis. Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.S. Lewis.   C.S. Lewis. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 12:54 am

I read all of the Chronicles of Narnia Books (but I don't remember most of them).
I also have read Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters (Tall Tyrion recommended this one to me), The Great Divorce.
I agree that some of his non-fiction writing comes across as a little "wooden", but I remember enjoying the Narnia books. I understand his "Space Trilogy" is also really entertaining, I need to read those someday.

rockerVu2

C.S. Lewis. Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.S. Lewis.   C.S. Lewis. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 am

I have read all 7 Narnia books, tried to read an other C.S. Lewis book.
Found one of his books and decided not to read this book, because it looked dry ... very dry.
Back to top Go down

C.S. Lewis. Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.S. Lewis.   C.S. Lewis. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 12:38 am

I think there are very few books of his I haven't read. "Letters to Malcolm - Chiefly on Prayer" comes to mind, but other than that, I think I've read them all.

I don't find his style to be dry at all, merely dated. He was a product of his times, but in his day, he was considered a sort of "Everyman's" theologian, very good at translating technical concepts into the language of the people. Sadly, we are not those sorts of people anymore.

People wanting a fiction recommendation would do well to check out 'Til We Have Faces. It is similar to Narnia in some ways (not too much), but more of an adult story. It is his retelling of the Greek myth of Cupid and Psyche. For nonfiction, The Four Loves is an under appreciated classic IMO.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

C.S. Lewis. Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.S. Lewis.   C.S. Lewis. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 2:50 am

Will check them out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

C.S. Lewis. Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.S. Lewis.   C.S. Lewis. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

C.S. Lewis.
Page 1 of 1