For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

NUDE !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8894
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: NUDE !   Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:17 pm

That got your attention ! Perv !

Seriously though, I got a question -

Why is it so many of the great early painters portrayed Biblical figures, from Abraham to the Disciples, walking around either naked or barely wearing anything ????

This is more common than I'd like to believe.... and come on, they prolly had better clothes than we do today ! I refuse to believe they walked around necked.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18173
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 pm

I think it depends on what period the paintings were created.
It seems like a lot of Renaissance art celebrated the nude form, so many of those Renaissance paintings of biblical figures will appear as nude (or nearly so) to "celebrate the nude" so to speak. I think the reason you see so many of them from that period is because most of those works were commissioned by the popes (and various church) and the artists just painted those bible figures in the modern style. What is funny is that it "dates" the painting to the renaissance (much like a 50's era sience-fiction film "dates" itself by not having computers etc.) At least that is the way it seems to me (I'm not at all an expert).

If you go back to more medieval art you will see the early biblical figures more conservatively clad.

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Good stuff ! Thanks Gar !
That's a very scholarly answer, whether it's true or not, it sounds well educated and it makes sense.

It may just be a coincidence but I've seen a couple paintings within a months time and it crossed my mind "why the heck is this guy stark ??"
I mean, if you're painting King David dancing around the Ark, that makes sense, or even the Garden of Eden scenes... but your average Prophet or Disciple wasn't streakin' all the time. Don't get me wrong, the art is amazing, and I couldn't come close to painting what these artists have done....

I think what gets me is accuracy... ie The Last Supper (a painting where they were actually clothed thank God !!!). One of these days I plan to draw/paint a REAListic version since the Jews back then did NOT sit at a long table as depicted. I've already sketched out a more true to history rendition of 13 men reclined on the ground - and they're gonna look like JEWS ! Not anemic blue eyed "pure" pansies. My picture's gonna have rugged Jews depicted as each one would have been according to their background... and no, Judas won't be the one with a gotee and evil look on his face.

And NONE OF THEM WILL BE NAKED since this is not the Renaissance period Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 am

Guilty/Forgiven, that is one awesome avatar, dude! Cool
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:57 am

Demolition Man wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven, that is one awesome avatar, dude! Cool

It's the same picture on Oratorio's first album cover.

http://firestreamvault.com/main/index.php?go=showitem&item_id=955&cat_id=330

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Quote :
It's the same picture on Oratorio's first album cover.

Shhhhhh ! Don't give away my secret ! Laughing

Actually, that album cover moved me... and it was about 3 weeks ago I stumbled on some people mocking Jesus on a website... so it was rather inspired. The album image and the Scriptures just came together in my head and I photoshopped the rest.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Ah you did all that. I thought maybe you found that somewhere with the scripture already attached.

Admin

Number of posts : 18083
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Quote :
Why is it so many of the great early painters portrayed Biblical figures, from Abraham to the Disciples, walking around either naked or barely wearing anything ????

Ummmm......could it be that they were just really liked nekkid people, and many times could paint nekkid people in a church!

You'll understand more after watching these two clips from an Animaniacs episode:

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18083
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:27 pm

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: NUDE !   Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:08 pm

lol!
lol!
lol!
lol!
Back to top Go down
Driven