For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Understanding The Bible

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fundy

Number of posts : 3746
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Understanding The Bible   Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:12 am

A few years ago my friend wrote a book asking the question what doesn't the church understand. Basically he grew up with the same beliefs as me, we take the Bible as God's inspired Word and understand it literally (in context) from beginning to end. We don't hold to miracles, speaking in tongues etc. So we're kind of the old school traditional evangelical believers.

Then in 2003 he experienced the Holy Spirit and his life changed round. He started preaching and teaching for healing, speaking in tongues, falling over in the spirit, laughing in church etc. In his book he says he missed the point of most of the new testament in regards to what we should be doing as Christians.

Now I've always struggled with healings, as I've never seen someone have their sight restored, or a leg miraculously appear after it's been amputated. But my friend is fully on fire for the healings and miracles route. And he says it's obvious if you read the Bible that that is how it should be interpreted.

The thing is, if you don't know anything about life, this planet and have no religious ideas stuck at the back of your head - and THEN you read the Bible, you'll basically end up with believing the Bible is literally true from start to finish and that we, as Christians, can perform miracles and healings if we believe and trust in Christ. And therein lies my problem. I can't get my head round the idea of healings etc. but the Bible seems to suggest that we should expect them.

It's no faith breaker for me, as I am sure of my belief in Christ (and as my signature says, there's only 3 things you need) but I still struggle with things like what I've mentioned above.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Boy that's a tough one....I have given it some thought but I still don't think I have a strong veiw (regarding miraculous healings) one way or another.
I do think there seems to be a lot of people claiming to heal and do miracles (in the name of Jesus) but I don't see a lot of documented proof for those healings/miracles.
That is not to suggest that healings/miracles cannot happen. I believe they can (and probably do) happen (all from the hand of God, and not man mind you).
Jesus told the disciples that if their faith was only as large as a mustard seed they could move the mountains (Matthew 17:14-20)

Number of posts : 5641
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Personally, I'm more of a theological Christian than an excited Christian. I've always had an interest in studying themes of the Bible.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:37 pm

danielbandfan wrote:
Personally, I'm more of a theological Christian than an excited Christian. I've always had an interest in studying themes of the Bible.

Can't you be both (an excited theological Christian)?

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:39 pm

For some reason, I can't. Laughing I just can't get into miracles and healing and stuff, because my church is a small church in a small town and not many young people are in it. Of course it's just me. (They're not mutually exclusive.)
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18177
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 am

I have trouble with healings and such due to people like Benny Hinn and others who make almost a Vegas show out of the gospel. Also, we've learned to rely on our medicines and doctors in our Westernized nations (Canada, USA, England, etc.) so that we don't HAVE to rely on God for that. I think, if we did not have access to the wealth of modern medicines, that our reliance on our Savior would be much higher and that we'd see a lot more miraculous healings.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
drumdude

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Coming from a 17 year old Southern Baptist teenager, I've seen a thing or two. I've seen people speak in tongues and be laid in the spirit, and also people healed. These things don't happen in my church, of course.

I don't understand these things. I think for me it's not fake, but like the speaking in tongues I believe is a gift. I also think if people were healed in Jesus name in the Biblical days when he wasn't physically present I believe it can happen today, it's a matter of faith (for the person praying, and the one being prayed for.)

I don't have any idea about being laid in the spirit though.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14677
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:24 am

I'm having problems with the big and massive massive healing services.
But people who fell down by the power of the Holy Spirit, I can't understand this.

I think God is today still able to do miracles and heal people like we can read in the Bible.

Speaking in tongues is something that people do in the worship services in our church.
It's a gift from God to speak in tongues, Satan is not able to understand the tongue language.
When you don't have the words to pray it helps to speak in tongues.
God never will misuse this to let you speak out strange things when you speak in tongues.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8921
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 pm

I believe God still heals and performs miracles... just not every Wednesday at 7PM.

And it's clear from Scripture that He doesn't heal all. Whether much faith or lack of faith. Those He chooses to heal ALWAYS results in glory to HIM (the ultimate purpose of His work), never to man (whether He uses someone to heal, or He heals directly)

Our spiritual has been redeemed with a future hope of our physical redemption. As of now, man is still subject to his "body of death." (Rom. 7:24)
Paul (the one who, in great faith, was refused a healing from God -2 Corinthians 12:7-9) sums it up when he writes:
"The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishoner, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body...then the saying that is written will come true: 'Death has been swallowed up in victory' " (1 Cor. 15:42-44) (See also Rev. 21:4-5)

Many of Christ's followers suffered sickness and disease, and eventually died due to some form of illness. We can find some examples in Scripture of God's children suffering sickness and disease (Matt. 5:45):
King David - Psalm 119:71,75
Job - Job 2:7
Paul - Galatians 4:13,14
Timothy - 1 Tim. 5:23
Elisha - 2 Kings 13:14
See also: 2 Tim. 4:20 / Phil. 2:25-30 / 2 Kings 20:1
Back to top Go down
PouncerW

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:15 pm

I am not one to limit God in what He can do...
But I know God has His purposes and plans for our Lives. And more often than not, it differs from what we think is God's plan. As Guilty/forgiven has stated, even the great Apostle Paul did not receive healing for the 'Thorn in his flesh' but God used it to Paul's benifit to further Glorify God. I think people look for healings too recklessly for their own purposes and there is no thought for what God will receive from such.
As for tongues, I believe it is a gift that has passed, because its purpose had been fulfilled. Back in the early church, according to 1 Corinthians, tongues had only one distinct purpose, and that was to edify the church. If you could not get a translation, it was just babble. The scripture shows adjacent to the chapter in 1 Corinthians 13: 8-10...

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail: whether there be tongues, they shall cease: weather there be knowledge: it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is PERFECT is come, then that which is in part shall be done away."

That which is perfect is what we have today that the church in Corinth did not have, the complete written word. To suggest that God still has to give us messages thru tongues is to suggest that what he has provided in His word is inadequate, and we have to be careful with that. Everything we need to edify the church is contained in the complete written word of God.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Since I was not around when some of these threads were started I may be playing catch up with a few of them...Hope thats cool with everyone.

Healing...Scripture says that healing is available to all...now healing may come in many ways. When we accept Christ our souls are most defiantly healed. We are brought to life. Before Christ we are dead and with Christ we are alive.
As for physical healing there are some through history who have experienced instant healing. Jesus healed people and did miracles to show he was the messiah.
Notice Jesus always told those he healed to tell no one. I always found that interesting. As we see though people were so over joyed that they told everyone. When we are sick or have a broken bone or whatever and we heal that is a gift from God. God loves us so much he gave our bodies the ability to heal itself. Also medication or counseling can be a form of healing. Medication helps heal our bodies and Godly counseling can heal our minds. Even death can be a healing from God. When one is sick and they physically die in Christ they are instantly in his presence and are totally healed from all earthly pains.

Tongues...

This is a gift from God. Scripture shows that many of the early church believers spoke in tongues. Today some still speak in tongues and some have the gift of interpretation. Notice in 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 and 1 Corinthians 12:28 this is one of many gifts given to certain believers. Some people have this gift and some do not. We each have certain gifts that have been bestowed upon us by the Holy Spirit. Working together, each using their gifts, we work as a church bringing the gospel to the world. Very Happy

Scripture says that all scripture is the Word of God. Paul makes it clear we are to be led by the spirit. It was the spirit that gave the inspirations and the words to all the writers of the scripture...IMO we should also rely on the Holy Spirit for the true understanding of the Bible. Without the guidance of the Holy Spirit the Bible is just another book that makes some but not total sense. With the help of the Holy Spirit we can easily see what the lord is saying. Remember, we are to be led by the spirit.
Back to top Go down
Driven

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:36 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
God loves us so much he gave our bodies the ability to heal itself.

Right on. Thumbs Up

If people can't build bodies that repair themselves, then how can our healing bodies have arrived by chance? It points to Creation. cheers
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8921
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:05 pm

Quote :
Without the guidance of the Holy Spirit the Bible is just another book that makes some but not total sense. With the help of the Holy Spirit we can easily see what the lord is saying. Remember, we are to be led by the spirit.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Bible   

Back to top Go down

Understanding The Bible
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1