For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Feelings vs Faith

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8894
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Feelings vs Faith   Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm sure I'm not alone in this...

A daily struggle with what I know and how I feel.

A dirty rotten sinner saved only by the Grace of our Creator.... I know the Bible, I know the promises and stand on those promises. But I also lay in bed at night feeling incredibly insignificant and so unworthy of the love of our Savior, feelings that I should be doing more to be pleasing to God, but also knowing that it's not brownie points that our Father desires to be in His good Graces.

Right now, despite the many blessings in my life and the knowledge of my testimony and His promises that He will not revoke.... I feel empty and distant from our Father.

Anyone go through this ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18176
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 pm

On occasion yes (and sometimes worse).
I would say at least it means you are still fighting the fight. The devil knows he cannot snatch you away from God, so if he gives you these feelings he can at least rob your joy (or somehting like that).
Take heart that you haven't given up on even wanting to please the Lord and just become appathetic....

Number of posts : 14634
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:52 am

I went through this too guily/forgiven.
What Staybrite has written is true.
The devil loves it to give you feelings like this to keep you away from God, to keep a distance between God and you.
Can you talk about this with God, how you feel?
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:24 pm

I appreciate you for responding. And I agree. I have not become apathetic, just distant. A very long story short: My Bible and studies were stolen a few years ago (as you know), shortly after that began serious struggles with my son (4 years of bad decisions he was making), throw in my bad health and I was the one who withdrew from God.

God has recently shown me His never changing love for me in so many blessings I don't deserve... but why can't I draw closer to Him ?? This is so frustrating. It seems we were so tight the first decade, this 2nd decade has been the "wilderness" - I have grown and matured, but still lay in bed at night feeling distant and try to lean on His promise and not my feelings.

I just want to be closer to Him. I need that relationship back.

Thanks for listening.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I just want to be closer to Him. I need that relationship back.

Thanks for listening.

Praying you will get that brother.

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:24 pm

I've heard it put this way. The Christian walk is like walking along the top of a wall. Jesus and our faith in Him walks before us, and our feelings trail along behind. If we turn around and focus on our feelings, we inevitably fall off the wall and have to struggle back on. If we keep our eyes forward on our Lord and our faith, we are better able to walk straight and not fall off. The feelings will eventually fall in line if we keep our eyes on Him.

Hope that helps, bro. I've known a lot of dry times.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:10 pm

That was great TT, thanks. It will certainly help me.

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Very nice Tall T ! We always want to "feel"... it's human nature. But it's much like a marriage. You don't make a marriage work on feelings... it will only last if you stick to your promise.

The promise in our Christian walk is not ours, it's His. And He never breaks His promise, no matter how we feel.

I just gotta keep recalling these facts.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18088
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Quote :
God has recently shown me His never changing love for me in so many
blessings I don't deserve... but why can't I draw closer to Him ?? This
is so frustrating. It seems we were so tight the first decade, this 2nd
decade has been the "wilderness" - I have grown and matured, but still
lay in bed at night feeling distant and try to lean on His promise and
not my feelings.

Could it be that you CAN'T get closer to Him? Jesus said that He and the Father would take up residence INSIDE you. You have part of His divine nature. You are royalty--a child of God! Maybe you need to focus more on who He says you are in Christ. When I do that, I realize that it was my stinkin' thinkin'--not a real distance from God. He's here, and I've got Him in my heart. He said so. By faith, we can KNOW it--not just try to feel it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:11 am

God is there, even when we can't feel His presence.
Sometimes your feelings are tricking you, it doesn't mean that when you can't feel the presence of God He's not with you.
God has written in His word: "I am with you till the day Jesus comes back".

These things I had to learn to know that when I can't feel the presence of Jesus He really is there.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Quote :
Could it be that you CAN'T get closer to Him? Jesus said that He and the Father would take up residence INSIDE you. You have part of His divine nature. You are royalty--a child of God! Maybe you need to focus more on who He says you are in Christ. When I do that, I realize that it was my stinkin' thinkin'--not a real distance from God. He's here, and I've got Him in my heart. He said so. By faith, we can KNOW it--not just try to feel it.

Thanks for that, it's right on the money. I needed to hear that, it's SO TRUE, I know He's sealed me with the Spirit and His stamp of ownership is on me, I know He's in me and will never leave or forsake me... it's taking the "knowing" part and letting facts keep me on this Solid Rock rather than feelings.

Yes Vonnie, feelings trick me... I wish I remembered that everytime they do trick me, but I sometimes give in to the enemy's condemnation.

I appreciate you guys chatting with me on this, it really helped !
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18088
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:24 am

Anytime. I wish there were more discussions like this here. But, seeing that we're such a small board, I don't really see that changing. If those discussions get as heated as they do on other boards, then I'm glad we don't have them.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 am

Guilty/Forgiven, every time I strap back into the same pitfalls. And I do this alot.
When it happened again I feel stupid and think, you should have known from who these thoughts came.
It helps me to memorize what God's thoughts are about me.
God has complete other thoughts about me than I have about myself.

My thought is better a small board and good discussions than many members and lots of discussions with hate, disagrement.

Sometimes it's good that share your thoughts with others.
Maybe we have to do this more with each other.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:49 am

Quote :
My thought is better a small board and good discussions than many members and lots of discussions with hate, disagrement.

I agree with you guys. We're supposed to build up the Body of Christ, not tear it down. There will always be those who want to cause division and have their own "superior" belief on something. Some you can set straight in love and they come to their senses (Lord knows I've been wrong on some things and was corrected), but many times I've argued doctrinal issues and just went round in circles (generating heat and no light).

I appreciate my family here at CHM cuz we are a small group, we all dig a lot of the same tunes, we especially dig Jesus, and we know how to laugh... I like that (oh, and we're all practically the same age.... except Vonnie who's 84 !)
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Quote :
except Vonnie who's 84 !
lol!
Back to top Go down
Driven

Number of posts : 5627
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:00 am

And DBF who's 70 years younger than Vonnie. Razz

When you have those feelings, listen to some powerful music. Jam out your pain! Headbang
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1543
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:29 am

One book I read that helped me through times like this was "Dark Night of the Soul" by St. John of the Cross. It's all poetic and metaphory, so sometimes it is hard to get what it is really saying, but basically he talks about these times where we feel distant from God as times where God is teaching us to walk in faith and not feeling. To know God is present without having to feel it. He sees it as a time of maturing, like how babies develop the notion of object permanence.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:54 am

Quote :
times where we feel distant from God as times where God is teaching us
to walk in faith and not feeling. To know God is present without having
to feel it. He sees it as a time of maturing

Very true. Like I said, I've grown and matured, I've just been distant from Him (in feelings only, and THAT only compared to my past relationship with Him). I look forward to our future walk and in the present I just keep trusting what His Word promises.
I'll hafta check that book out. Not much for poetry and stuff, but I always like a good read.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1543
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 am

It's not really poetry like Lord Byron and Elizabeth Barrett Browning. It is more like the style of writing you see in the Divine Comedy, The Odyssey, and that kinda thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Remember everybody...Faith is not a feeling..its a fact. We can't be run by or make judgments, decisions and base our relationships on feelings. We are led by the Holy Spirit and even when we don't feel close we are. Christ lives in each of us who put our faith in him. jesus in us and Jesus through us at all times. Rejoice even when you don't feel like it and give thanks to God no matter whats going on or how you feel. Also make sure to smile and tell the devil "NO" when he tries to tell you that your relationship with Christ isn't what it could be. Reject him and those he uses to try and bring you down or judge you. Jesus is lord and he lives in you and greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Driven

Number of posts : 5627
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:31 pm

BT! You made it over here! Seems more and more CMR people are joining CHM.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Right on BT. Thank you for that. FACTS not Feelings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feelings vs Faith   

Back to top Go down

Feelings vs Faith
View previous topic View next topic Back to top