For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Raised in Church?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18063
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Raised in Church?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 pm

So BrokenT's thread on "Why Jesus" got me to thinking. How many of us were raised in some sort of church, or did we come to Christ later in life?

For me I was not raised in the church. My parents went to the bar almost every Saturday night for most of my young life and there was no church for any of us on Sudnay morning. Once every year or two my maternal grand parents would show up and make me go to church. I was not happy about this (it didn't help that my parents and grand parents did not go with me...they stayed at home and made me take a bus with the neighbor kids to church).

So I didn't find Christ until much later in life. I didn't start going to church until my wife (who was raised in church) insisted that we start taking our first child to church. Even then I went for several years still not knowing (or even really caring) who Christ was.

So what about you? Where you raised going to church regularly?

Admin

Number of posts : 17978
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:26 pm

My Grandma carried us to church when we were kids. When I turned 14, though, I just dropped out completely and went with the "atheist" thing. I was sick of being picked on by church kids.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:20 pm

as you can see I was raised in church but the switching and having to learn new theology and be baptized again got old. It got to the point where I thought so many churches and ideas..is anyone right. If God had not intervened personally in my life I would have probably left the church for good.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8865
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 pm

I had the "best" of both worlds. My Mom comes down from a long line of Baptists, so I got to experience some sunday school growing up. My Dad always talked about how we're just in a chess game between God and Satan, and he cursed God on a daily basis, drank, smoke pot, etc etc....
We were given a choice whether we wanted to go to church with my Mom or not, and I eventually chose not to ever go again around 11 years old.

So, I was sort of brought up with some idea of Christianity, yet knew nothing about Jesus or what salvation really was or meant.

Because of God's work in my life at 19, my Mom has grown in her relationship with the Lord, my oldest brother dedicated his life to Christ -he and his wife are very strong in the Lord. And my Dad, well... there's still hope Wink
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14568
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:22 am

When I was a kid we seldom went to church.
My dad was very sick and in that time my mom started to go to church, we followed her one by one.
Dad and I were the last.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:42 pm

This is great all, thanks for sharing.

Number of posts : 3682
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:25 am

I was raised in the church, although as most kids, when I got to be in my (late) teens I went away for a number of years. I came back to church when I met a friend and started attending purely to talk with him! Then I heard of Ken Ham and that was it!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.

Last edited by Fundy on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Ken Ham is brilliant !
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:57 pm

I agree, despite his funny accent Ken Ham is great!

Number of posts : 5609
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:24 pm

I've pretty much been brought to church most of my life. I don't think I'd drop out anytime soon, and I hope not. (stats show that more than 70% of kids leave the church by the age of 18)
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Between 13 and 18 I knew it all. I didn't want anyone telling me what to do... it's human nature (esp for males). This is why teens bail on church. Thankfully I had God drawing me to Himself and I had to respond.
Dbf, hang in there and prove statistics wrong. Be a rebel with a cause and stick with the Truth, not cuz of the music, not cuz it's a cool thing to do, and not cuz you have to... hang in there cuz it's TRUTH, and God will bless you for your obedience.
I've read some of your other posts and you know a lot of your Bible, that's an advantage I didn't have at your age. Keep growing and learning God's word and you'll be glad you did !
Back to top Go down
Driven

Number of posts : 5609
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Jim. I appreciate it. God bless ya! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:26 pm

I also wanted to share another thought. I used to think there had to be some great mysteries in scripture that we had to go to church to hear and that we had to go to revivals and read books by many different 'Christian" authors to understand these things of God. I do not believe this anymore. I think its simple to understand now....so simple a child can get it. In My Opinion all this deep theological study is just an invention of organized religion and to me personally organized religion is not a relationship with Christ. It likes to use words like hermeneutics, dispensationalism, open theism, heresy and all the 'Isms". It likes to divide up Christians into different views and pit them against each other. It likes to teach the interpreted teachings of men like Luther, Calvin, the Pope, Joyce Meyers, Wesley, etc. instead of the true meanings taught by Christ through the Holy Spirit. What a sad situation. Going to so many churches growing up I wasn't only baptized many times and taught different theology's and told believe this instead of that..I was also told "you can't be friends with that person of a different view anymore" and " those "Methodist" or "baptist" or 'Catholics" are heretics so they are the enemy" and other various thoughts. So many books today teach things that are not even in the Bible and we are told they are "words of Knowledge" or "special revelation"..geez, what crap! I used to be guilty of believing all this crap and teaching it and I have repented for this. I don't mean to rant at all of you and I have no hard feeling against anyone attending any of these churches but I am sharing with everyone what being raised in the church did for me (or should I say To me?) This is why I am returning to the basics and going to do home bible study with friends where we use only scripture (any translation is cool with me) and have fun.....and walk away from an organized church setting.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:30 am

When I was single, I spent 2 years not going to any churches. I spent my entire sundays in deep study of Scripture and met with a group once a week where we did a home Bible study. I learned more and grew more closer in my relationship with God in those 2 years than any time spent in churches.

Just sayin'
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:02 pm

We are giving serious thought to leaving our current church (but I haven't completely decided). However, I don't think I am ready to completely give up on going to church. We have some old friends from our previous church that decided to "quit coporate church" (as they put it). They joined/started a "home church" and over a period of about 4 years they seemed to grow stranger and stranger and became rather legalistic. I'm certainly not suggesting that happens to most people who go the "home church" route, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it concerns me.

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:54 am

I grew up in church, never really left it. I started out in a Church of Christ when I was very young, then after my family was asked not to return we went to a Southern Baptist church for a little while and for some reason quit going. Then we started to attend an American Baptist church with some neighbors. I like to say I experimented in college by going charismatic for a while before returning to my ABC roots. When my wife and I moved to KY we became Methodists, although I don't tend to think of myself as being in lockstep adherence to any of these doctrinal statements.

I guess I kinda have a love-hate relationship with formal church structures. On one hand they can be stifling, but they also provide some sense of security and accountability for the leadership. The reason I stopped the charismatic thing was that the church started "evolving" into the home group thing, and some of the folks leading the home groups had some kinda out there ideas that were not being kept in check by a central leadership body.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raised in Church?   

Back to top Go down

Raised in Church?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1