For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What are your thoughts on Sunday School?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18247
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:56 am

Churches seem to be moving away from this old time practice. In many major cities, they are moving to a more "small group" setting where people gather in homes to study. The smaller kids, of course, will have a special service for the kids (children's church).

Our church is 189 years old and we've had Sunday School for about 100 years of that. Personally, this is one old time practice I don't want to see go away. I love it! It's the original "small group" where everyone studies the word of God together in their age group whether you are 9 or 99 years old.

I would be the first to admit that I get more spiritually from a study than I do a corporate worship service. I love the face to face closeness of it, challenging one another with different concepts and views, and the ability to go deeper in the Bible than the average 30 minute sermon.

So, how about you? Are you a Sunday School supporter or dropout?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18276
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:56 pm

This is a tough one for me because with the exception of being forced to go to church & Sunday school twice a year between the ages of 7 & 10, I have almost no exposure to Sunday school. None of the "modern" churches I have attened in the last 15 years have even offered Sunday school to adults. My only recourse has been "small groups" where we usually read and discuss some book (many of them just modern day Christian self-help type stuff). I expect I might get a lot out of a Sunday school setting, but most (if not all) churches here in the NW seem to have abandoned it.

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:26 am

I have not been to sunday school since I was a teenager. Alot of churches do not even have it anymore. I did go to a church once who had sunday school after church instead of before. I really like home bible study's the best.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14729
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 am

Sunday School is a great way to teach the kids in groups of kids in about the same age.

In my church there are groups for the kids from 3-12 years.
The adult people of my church have smaller groups where we talk about biblecal things.

I think it's important for kids to have Sunday Schools.
It's good kids learn more about God in groups. It's earier for them to understand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:57 pm

I love Sunday School. Done properly, it's more like church "should" be, IMO.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Could you elaborate on that, TallT?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:02 am

A few years back, we were at a church that had Bible STUDY after the traditional church service. It was like an adult sunday school where all ages were welcome. We would have a passage to study and everyone would participate in the study. To me, that's sunday school.
Our current church has some teachers that do sunday school during the worship service to give the kids something more on their level. But typical of EVERY church, there's always a call for more help with teachers. No one wants to volunteer their time to teach the children. This could be why it's dwindling at many churches.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 am

rockerVu2 wrote:

The adult people of my church have smaller groups where we talk about biblecal things.

That is the way it is at my church too.
So I guess my question for Alldat, is were you refering to Sunday school for children, or adults....or both.

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Quote :
I love Sunday School. Done properly, it's more like church "should" be, IMO.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:33 pm

Staybrite wrote:
rockerVu2 wrote:

So I guess my question for Alldat, is were you refering to Sunday school for children, or adults....or both.

Actually, whatever your opinion is, that's great. If you want to comment just on the kids' version, that's okay. I still like having a Sunday School class for adults. I get to discuss the word of God more on a level where I am at. For that reason, I love adult Sunday School.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:48 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
rockerVu2 wrote:

Actually, whatever your opinion is, that's great. If you want to comment just on the kids' version, that's okay. I still like having a Sunday School class for adults. I get to discuss the word of God more on a level where I am at. For that reason, I love adult Sunday School.

I think I would really like an adult bible study class too, but cant seem to find one at a decent church in my area.

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

Well, children are there to be instructed in the faith, obviously, but with the older children and adults, Sunday School is more like a home Bible Study. You have a leader, but everyone is welcome to share and discuss the Scriptures and edify one another with their own perspectives and insight. To me, THAT is the sort of Koinonia that the early church experienced, and far more spiritually satisfying to me than the average church service.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
A few years back, we were at a church that had Bible STUDY after the traditional church service. It was like an adult sunday school where all ages were welcome. We would have a passage to study and everyone would participate in the study. To me, that's sunday school.

Yeah. This. Cool
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14729
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 am

I would like to ask what's the differcence between a Sunday School for adults and
smaller groups of people of church discussing about God?
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:51 am

Nothing. Except location and time. Sunday school for kids happens during Church services so the kids have an alternative that's at their level. Adult Sunday school is usually after traditional service and is usually led by the Pastor in a "school" type setting.
A Bible study is usually a group of adults who meet at someone's house and go more in depth with Scripture.

We had the problem of a watered down, shallow pastor several years ago, and when a friend of mine (who's a strong student of Scripture) proposed a home Bible study to go more in depth, that pastor told him he couldn't do it (the pastor wanted to be the leader of the group at the church only). Obviously that didn't go over well and so after he and I left the church, we started our own in depth Bible study. That was three and a half years ago and it's still going strong with many who come and participate. People are hungry for doctrine, for understanding more of who God is and what He did for us in the Person of Jesus through the Spirit.
I'm thankful to say, the church I go to now is providing classes on apologetics.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Number of posts : 3763
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Sunday school is for kids aged 3 - 12 where I am, but mid week they have home bible studies where eight to ten adults gather together and discuss what was preached on on the Sunday previously.

I think Bible Studies are great where it's just a small group for you can share stuff and ask questions that you wouldn't necessarily be able to do in church.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Well, children are there to be instructed in the faith, obviously, but with the older children and adults, Sunday School is more like a home Bible Study. You have a leader, but everyone is welcome to share and discuss the Scriptures and edify one another with their own perspectives and insight. To me, THAT is the sort of Koinonia that the early church experienced, and far more spiritually satisfying to me than the average church service.

I agree with this completely! I definitely feel as though I get more out of the class on Sunday morning than I do the sermon.

Back to top Go down
drumdude

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:16 pm

I love Sunday School! We don't have any curriculum, we start in Genesis and go to Revalation studying. By the time my youth pastor gets to the end of the Bible he doesn't have the same class as when he started because it takes several years to get all the way through. But in addition to Sunday I meet with a group on Monday nights where we have super awesome Bible Studies. For those of you that know when Aldat (Big Chris) started Campus Life. When that stopped me and a very good friend of mine took it upon ourselves to continue it without the name Campus Life. We have studies that are wonderful, with number of teenagers that range from 5-20. I don't see a problem with Sunday school or small study groups.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Number of posts : 1476
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:46 pm

We recently left our church. Instead of going to another one we may just do a bible study with some friends of ours..rotating between each others house. We will have food, fellowship, prayer and Bible Study. Just simple fun the way it was when we were kids going to sunday school and VBS. Jesus said where 2 or more are assembled there I will be also. How awesome is that.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Number of posts : 5653
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 pm

I like it. We're discussing being humble in the sight of the Lord (James 4:10) right now.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Number of posts : 1476
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:51 pm

A nearby non-denomination Bible church has a mid-week Bible study for men that I used to attend. It was pretty much the equivalent of Sunday school in word and form. The problem is that around a year ago I was putting in a lot of extra hours at work and got out of the habit of attending.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on Sunday School?   

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts on Sunday School?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1