For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

jewish Studies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: jewish Studies   Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:57 am

I have been studying Judaism here lately. (No, I am not converting) It has been very interesting and I am learning alot and also it has opened my eyes to What we as Christians believe and what the writers of the new testament were really saying. One thing I will share is that what I was always taught in Church, in Christian books and the teachings of many Christian teachers and preachers concerning Judaism and the old Testament are wrong. The Christian View of Judaism does not remotely line up with the Jewish teachings taught by Jewish Rabbis. As time goes on I will share interesting things I learn with everyone. This study is really opening my eyes to what Jesus really did for us and how much God really loves us. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18213
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:39 am

brokentulsa wrote:
I have been studying Judaism here lately. (No, I am not converting)....

Well that's good news!

brokentulsa wrote:
....One thing I will share is that what I was always taught in Church, in Christian books and the teachings of many Christian teachers and preachers concerning Judaism and the old Testament are wrong. The Christian View of Judaism does not remotely line up with the Jewish teachings taught by Jewish Rabbis.

Do you mean that what other Christian's (and Christian authors) have told you is that the Jew's do not understand/teach from the old testament correctly?

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Staybrite...
Let me reword my comment. The way that Christians interpret the old testament and the way the Jews interpret it are different. I have heard some Christian preachers and authors suggest that Christians and Jews interpret things the same way but that is not true. While Jews take the law and sin serious they do not seem to take it as seriously as many Christians do. Many of them even interpret the word sin different than Christians do. They do not believe in a literal Satan like Christians do and sexual immorality is interpreted differently than most Christians do as well.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18168
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:38 pm

But does that mean we are wrong? Could their views been wrong as well? After all, they as a people rejected the Messiah. They certainly were missing something.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Quote :
But does that mean we are wrong?

I am not really looking at who is wrong or right (of course I say we are right because Jesus is the messiah) but it is interesting to see how they interpret certain words and the writing style and what some phrases mean. it is helping me to understand better some of the things said in the new testament. An example would be when it says if someone slaps you on the right cheek offer him the left...This is not talking about being physically struck but insulted...that is if someone insults you just forgive them and walk away.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1578
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:33 pm

I dabbled in this a while back and would love to return to it for just the reason you say. Matthew and Hebrews always leave me with more questions than answers it seems because they were written to a Jewish audience and I just don't follow their thinking in the same way and I don't get a lot of the references.

I also understand what you mean about the differences in interpretation. I think Christians tend to view the OT either through the lens of Christ (meaning looking at it only as it relates to Christ) or as something that has little or no real relevance now.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18213
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks for the clarification BT.

I have to admit there are large chunks of the OT that confuse me senseless (not that I even understand all of the NT).

Admin

Number of posts : 18168
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 am

Quote :
An example would be when it says if someone slaps
you on the right cheek offer him the left...This is not talking about
being physically struck but insulted...that is if someone insults you
just forgive them and walk away.

That's pretty much how I've always interpreted this and how most of the churches I've gone to have taught that.

But, like Gary said, there are still many parts of the Bible that are still confusing. I know that God will reveal those things when I am ready or in need of understanding them.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Quote :
That's pretty much how I've always interpreted this and how most of the churches I've gone to have taught that.

You are pretty lucky...I have been in several churches including a fundamentalist baptist church when I was a kid that taught that every word was literal...slap meant physically strike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: jewish Studies   

Back to top Go down

jewish Studies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1