Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I think I'm in with you guys now

Go down 
+4
rockerVu2
Timshell64
Staybrite
Follower of Jesus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

I think I'm in with you guys now Empty
PostSubject: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:29 am

I've been getting challenged in my walk with Jesus that my efforts to know him, love him, act like him, think like him and love like him have been shallow, half-hearted, limited and ineffective. I want to know him so much better. I've been reading a book by A.W. Tozer called "The Crucified Life" and in that book, he makes the following observation:

When the early Christians were told that the love of the world and the things of the world meant they did not love God, they did not hold discussions on what "the world" meant or how far they could go and still please God. They got out of the world; they separated themselves completely from everything that had the world's spirit.

"...from everything that had the world's spirit." Wow. When I've considered the music I listen to, the TV and movies I watch, etc., I have always had that "how far can I go and still please God" mentality. It is now changing, rapidly. Now, the question is no longer, "can I do this and still please God?", but rather now it is, "will this push me closer to God?" If the answer is no, I'm trying to move on. Furthermore, it is amazing just how much of our entertainment is saturated with the world's spirit. The lyrics can be as benign as anything, but the spirit of this world is still very present.

So, this has meant that for the last 10 days or so, I have not listened to any secular music. It is not a legalism thing for me anymore. I don't avoid it because I think it might not please God or because I think it is evil or anything like that. I avoid it because I would rather listen to music that pushes me toward my beloved Savior, Jesus Christ. Even some "Christian" music is going away because it does nothing to push me toward God. I want to have the deeper inner life and playing games on the surface with things like music, movies, and a host of other things is wasting precious time.

So, all that to say, I think I'm with most of you now. So far, it's been a voluntary move to just not listen to the secular music. But I still have it. The next step, and it's a whopper, is to start getting rid of it. I did that already with some movies and TV shows I had on DVD. But music is harder. But soon, I have to do it, or it will become too tempting to go back to it. I'm done with weak half-measures. Jesus gave his all for me. I need to lay everything on the altar. He may give some of it back to me, but I have to surrender it all to him NOW.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:57 am

Music and movies aside I love your attitude about wanting to get closer to God!

I personally purged all my secular music back in 2005, but in the last two years I have let some of it creep back in (still only about 10% of my music is secular). But I am still very picky about what I listen to. My wife and I did the same thing about 3 years ago with movies. We got rid of all of our rated R movies (and even several of our PG/PG-13 films). It is rather comforting to know that our young kids can select any movie from the cupboard and not hear profanity, blasphemy or see filth coming from the tv screen.

You have my prayers brother; you might feel like you have a gaping hole in your life for a little while. But as a friend once told me that's ok because you can just fill it with more of God.

Timshell64

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2011-05-25

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Follower of Jesus that is awesome!! I only listen to christian music, and not even all of it that calls itself christian!! I just wanted to encourage you to continue. You have a great attitude and the Lord will honor your effort.

God bless you my friend!!!

Timshell64
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Follower Of Jesus, that's is great.
I'm sure God likes your attitude.
When you try to come closer to God, God will come closer to you.

Since 2000 I listen to only Christian music. I never longing to my secular rockers anymore.
I did the same with books I had doubts about.
I'm selective in what I watch on TV too.

We are here for you to support and to encourage you.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Thumbs Up

Good stuff, FOJ. I tried listening to a secular tape (Trust, a French band) that I'd liked years ago, but I just couldn't. I felt a conviction that that stuff was wrong.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm

What are some good Scriptures regarding "guarding your heart" or just simply avoiding things that aren't edifying to us ?
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
What are some good Scriptures regarding "guarding your heart" or just simply avoiding things that aren't edifying to us ?

That passage about "what is perfect… think about such things." comes to mind. (Philippians?)
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Excellent ! Phil 4:8
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

So that tells you what you should do, what about other Scriptures that may tell you to avoid the sinful things of secular entertainment ?
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:15 pm

I Cor. 10:23 - “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Cool ! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3118
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 pm

This is great for you, I am happy you are able to do that. Me, personally, I have no problem with it. I listen to all types of music and lately have been on a Huey Lewis & The News kick. Who can't love "Working For a Livin" or "Power Of Love"? not Christian songs, but fun songs that relate to life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 pm

I was there about ten years ago. I trashed about 100+ cds and over 500 cassette tapes (as in "threw them away"). I've added some of them back and listen to quite a bit of secular now, but at the time it was absolutely the right decision to make. Thumbs up, dood.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 4:46 pm

I've been in this camp for 22 years now. I got rid of my secular collection (except for Weird Al and the Grease soundtrack) back in 1990. I have never gone back, and I don't really miss it.

Since then, I don't watch R rated movies anymore. I limit the amount of TV I watch. I don't even read books from many secular authors anymore just because I found so many books I wanted to read in Christian bookstores as I got more music. I never meant to separate my reading material--it just happened that way. I am not opposed to reading novels by non-Christians. I'd read something if I was really interested in it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3118
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:06 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I've been in this camp for 22 years now. I got rid of my secular collection (except for Weird Al and the Grease soundtrack) back in 1990. I have never gone back, and I don't really miss it.

Since then, I don't watch R rated movies anymore. I limit the amount of TV I watch. I don't even read books from many secular authors anymore just because I found so many books I wanted to read in Christian bookstores as I got more music. I never meant to separate my reading material--it just happened that way. I am not opposed to reading novels by non-Christians. I'd read something if I was really interested in it.

There are a lot of great Christian books out there and I read them when I can. Normally I have about 5 or 6 books I read all at once and that drives my wife nuts that I can jump around in just one sitting. Still like to read books about TV, Star Trek and recently read one called "The Smoking Gun" which has all kinds of funny tour riders in it. Good stuff. Also read "The Grand Dillusion" Styx bio and Sammy Hagar's book, all good reads.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:43 pm

On the subject of secular music, in recent years I've been listening to some of the old classic rock and radio tunes from my childhood. Granted I'm very picky as to what I allow in my collection. Some harmless Fleetwood Mac is an example of what I don't have a problem with. However, I've dug into some stuff I liked as a teenager and listened to them on Spotify... I can't believe how filthy or anti-Christian some of that stuff was. That kind of crap has no place in my collection.

Such a shame too, cuz many of them were very talented artists and excellent albums. I've even taken some songs and edited them with my mixing skills to remove a curse word or two, so I could listen to them in my truck. Cleaned up songs Very Happy

I use it as a witness too. I tell people who are all into an old band and ask me if I like them, and I'll tell them I won't listen to all their music due to language or beliefs. But some songs are ok. Opens up for interesting conversations and witnessing ops
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 pm

G/F, can I rent your sig and advertise my website? I'll give you a hug in return. Razz
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Ummm, not really into hugging guys... y'know ? Evil or Very Mad

Promise me a copy of your first album when it's released and you can rent from me.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 8:10 pm

I can't promise I will have an album… I hope so, but… Sad
Back to top Go down
Timshell64

Timshell64

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2011-05-25

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Ahhh come on G/F give him a big Bro Hug I think I'm in with you guys now 13074
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 11:05 pm

You can't catch any social diseases from a digital hug

Driven

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 8:19 am

Brofist, maybe?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think I'm in with you guys now   I think I'm in with you guys now I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I think I'm in with you guys now
Page 1 of 1