For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18083
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 am

You can read the Great Commission in Matthew 28 starting with verse 16. Since coming back from our mission trip with the youth last week, we will be doing a "missions night" at our church and tell about our experiences. We will show some photographs, allow the youth to tell about their experience, and then I am going to give a short message about what the Great Commission doesn't say. Here's my outline for tonight:

Quote :

Matthew 28:16-20 What the Great Commission DOESN'T Say

I. We all know what the Great Commission says, but have we ever considered what it DOES NOT say?

A. It will always be easy

B. It will not cost us anything.

C. There are no age requirements--minimum or maximum

D. There are no retirement clauses--no one is allowed to quit

E. There is no command to just work within our community--we are to have a worldwide influence

F. To make disciples of other nations, or even of people from different backgrounds and cultures, we are going to have to be willing to reach them through their culture--not our own traditions

1. 1 Corinthians 9:19-22 We must become more open to other people--not try to conform them into what we are. After all, we are supposed to making people more like Jesus, not mirror images of us

2. We might have to rearrange our way of doing things as individuals or as a church to reach people. However, we must never compromise the truth of Jesus as Lord and Savior for all who believe.

II. Tonight I want to challenge everyone to evaluate how we are doing in light of both what the Great Commission says and doesn't say.

A. We have some good programs here (like Sunday School, Team Kids, etc.)
B. We minister to community needs when someone is out of work or their house burns.
C. We have our backpack ministry to schools
D. While ministering to the needs of people is good, the GC says to "make disciples" which might mean doing more than just "doing"--it also means sharing our faith outside the church walls wherever God may lead

If you see a point I am missing or think I should add, please post it here! Thanks!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Number of posts : 5627
Registration date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:36 am

No one gets argued into heaven, as someone in the "other board" thread mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18173
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 am

Good stuff!

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:21 am

the only thing I would conider adding would be about the first phrase "Go, therefore..."

Why is the therefore there? Why does Jesus give us this commission in the first place, what's our motivation? Or in theme with your sermon, what things shouldn't be our motivation?

Also, it says "Go." It does not say "Have a cool service so people will COME." or "Pray they come to you so it's easier."

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18083
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 am

Quote :
Also, it says "Go." It does not say "Have a cool service so people will COME." or "Pray they come to you so it's easier."

I changed the point about retirement age to say that "the Lord said to"GO" but He never said to "STOP". I think I can relate that to retirement and a few other issues.

I am going to take the "authority" part and use it, too. Jesus' has all authority and He commanded us to go. If we aren't going, then we are out of His will as a church.

Time to leave now for church, so any other suggestions cannot be worked in. Thanks!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
sabidoo

Number of posts : 2068
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Did you get fired, or get them fired up?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!   

Back to top Go down

The Great Commission--what it doesn't say!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1