Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music Categories for the Christian

Go down 
+4
bassdude
unworthy
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Music Categories for the Christian Empty
PostSubject: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:28 pm

I threw this list together as my standard for sifting through the multitudes of music I have...

Definitions for Music Categories as I see it from a Christian’s perspective.

1. Christian Band -
Signed on by a Christian label. Almost all lyrical content is devoted to subjects concerning Christianity. On rare occasions does a song crossover to secular radio.

2. Christian Crossover –
Can be signed by a Christian or secular label. Openly profess Christianity and their faith is evident lyrically. Many songs explore neutral subject matter and make it to secular as well as Christian radio.

3. Neutral Bands –
Bands that have members who are Christian, but have completely neutral lyrics. Lyrics are not about Christianity, but are innocuous to Christian beliefs and values.

4. Christian-Friendly Bands –
These are bands that are NOT Christian, but have lyrics that are innocuous to Christian beliefs and values.

5. Non-Christian Bands –
Bands that have some songs that are NOT Christian friendly, but other songs that are neutral and harmless. Listening only to specific “clean” songs by these bands is where the principle of 1Corinthians 8:13 comes into play.

6. Non-Christian / Anti-Christian Bands –
These are bands that a Christian has no business listening to if he/she claims to be a Born-again Believer in God’s Word.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Cool, but you forgot one.

7. Judas Bands -
Bands that were more than happy to be "Christian" when they were looking for a label to sign them, then quickly dropped the "Christian" label when it became obvious that it might broaden their fan base.

Yes a small (but never-the-less) very real category

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Laughing that's a clever name, sad category, but clever
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Interesting, I see christian bands in 2 categories.. those where the band members are christian and that effects the lyrics they write but they are not ministry bands...and those bands that are ministry bands.
as for secular versus christian bands if I like it I listen to it and if I don't like I don't listen to it. I listen to more secular bands than christian. I don't think what I listen to effects my walk with Christ in any way...but I respect those who choose Christian bands only and would never play anything secular around them.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 pm

I am probably one of the few that sees things in this area more black and white.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 10:24 pm

I personally adhere to the 1st Five on my list, and have obviously refused to entertain #6 for the last 25 years.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 11:12 pm

I only categorize music 2 ways......

1. That which rocks.

2. That which does not rock.

I vastly prefer the first one.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 pm

personally I have always only seen two categories...

1. Christian music
2. Not Christian music

what you refer to as "ministry" bands.. go in the first... everything else goes into the second. What makes music "christian" is not the profession or beliefs of the members.. but what the lyric say...

while I appreciate that some bands believe their call is to not be a "christian band" but "christians in a band" and have lyrics which bear very little difference to what is in the world.. While I believe they may have their place (and accomplish some good) but I wouldn't call the music they make 'christian' simply because they're christians.

In fact, personally, I think most of the "clean" alternatives to the music of the world do as much harm as they do good. People don't need that, people need truth.

that's my two cents on the issue.. you're either with God or not.. there isn't grey area or middle ground... it's black or white.

if I read your lyrics and I don't see Christ... I don't consider you a christian band... even if you wear Christ on your shirt and shout a thousand times that you are a christian band.

This is also why I have never felt a difference between listening to "clean" bands and "dirty" bands... if it's not leading me closer to Christ.. it's leading me away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 2:29 am

bassdude wrote:
I only categorize music 2 ways......

1. That which rocks.

2. That which does not rock.

I vastly prefer the first one.

lol!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:30 am

Staybrite wrote:

7. Judas Bands -
Bands that were more than happy to be "Christian" when they were looking for a label to sign them, then quickly dropped the "Christian" label when it became obvious that it might broaden their fan base.

*cough* Evanescence...

I also want to say that I see things kind of black and white like unworthy but...

I think there are Christian bands whose lyrics are poetic but still about Jesus and that's okay. I mean, Esther and Song of Solomon never mention God...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 3:50 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

7. Judas Bands -

*cough* Evanescence...

Funny that's exactly who I was thinking of.

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

Laughing that's a clever name, sad category, but clever

Yeah, it was meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek. Smile

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

unworthy wrote:
....In fact, personally, I think most of the "clean" alternatives to the music of the world do as much harm as they do good. People don't need that, people need truth.

that's my two cents on the issue.. you're either with God or not.. there isn't grey area or middle ground... it's black or white.....

This is also why I have never felt a difference between listening to "clean" bands and "dirty" bands... if it's not leading me closer to Christ.. it's leading me away.

I used to feel pretty much the same way about music, but I just can't anymore. (don't get me wrong I'm not saying you are in error, I'm just saying I can't see it that way).

To me music is entertainment. If that entertainment contains God's truth, then so much the better. If the entertainment is neutral, and does not contain a message contrary to scripture then that is ok for me (in small doses). If the entertainment is against God (either directly or indirectly) than I want nothing to do with it.....period. I take this stance on all forms of entertainment, music, books, movies, television...the internet (etc.).

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:45 pm

I gotta say I'm with bassdude on this one. I hate categories and trying to stick stuff in boxes. I like what I like and listen to what I like. I respect unworthy's answer, but I don't think things are as clear cut as it sounds there, particularly the "ministry bands" are Christian and everything else is not idea. Truth can be packaged in a variety of ways.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 pm

I like this quote from Mike Roe (the 77s, Lost Dogs, etc):

"I would say that the role (of a Christian musician) would be to do art, and then, to do it as good as you can with as much attention to quality as possible... When that's happening, then the art will reflect who you are, and if you are a Christian, it will reflect where you are at that moment, the amount of faith you have, and the journey of your life with Christ, in its ups and downs."
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Quote :
7. Judas Bands -

That's a very good name for bands like they are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music Categories for the Christian   Music Categories for the Christian I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music Categories for the Christian
Page 1 of 1