Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Amp problems.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 4:41 pm

Last year I bought a Vox tube amp.
But from the beginning I was fighting with the sound.
Now my guitar teacher tried out the amp and he told me this amp has not a cool rock sound.
That's what I figured out too.
Now I need a new amp.
One with a rockin' sound.
I looked online and thought A Roland Cube will be cool.
I hope I can trade my Vox amp.

Have you tried a Roland Cube amp?
Or are there other cool amps with a cool rockin' sound?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23473
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 6:12 pm

I just bought a brand spankin' new Hartke 60 watt guitar amp. It has both great clean and overdriven sounds with a natural sounding reverb. I wanted something small & portable but with a BIG sound. But, I didn't want to shell out a lot of $$$.

I sold my Kramer electric guitar and used that money to help pay for the new amp. Now, I just have two electric guitars.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 7:17 pm

I'm having trouble with my amp too. It has a great rocking sound but ever since one of my channels quit during our concert in the park it has been acting up.
The problem channel actually works again (for some reason) but now it has a wicked hum that makes a lot of noise when I'm not playing it (regardless of which channel I'm using).
My warranty expired more than a year ago, and I don't exactly have $500 to go buy another one.

Let me know what you think of that Hartke amp Alldat, and let us know what kind of amp you decide to get Yvonne. I have never heard of a Roland cube. I do know that Roland makes some decent keyboards, but I didn't even know they made guitar amplifiers. The best way to decide if you like the amp is to go to the music store and try it out.

Admin
alldatndensum

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 8:25 pm

Roland does make guitar amps, but they are very small and mostly considered for practicing. If you're planning on doing a gig, the Cube would not be something you'd want.

For the same prices (around $200) there are several options from Crate, Hartke, Behringer, Peavey, Kustom, and Line 6. Depending on what features the amp has, you can get an amp with up to 60 watts of output. It isn't huge, but you could play a gig with around 100 people--maybe even a bigger venue if you run the amp through the PA system.

For myself, I'm tired of lugging huge amps around. Give me something light and portable!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 8:13 am

Friday I go to the store to take a look for a cool guitar amp.
What I need is only a practice amp.
Maybe the Roland Cube is nice or a Peavy too.
I have to listen and see what's the best.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 8:39 am

Before you go to the music store, browse through some of the sites like musiciansfriend.com, zZounds.com, or SamAsh.com. With these sites, you can look under the guitar tab, find a link for amps, and then search by price. Although you would probably prefer to buy this locally, you can get an idea for what is out there.

One of the new amps I was looking at was the Epiphone Firefly. It has great clean tones, but the overdrive sounded SO muddy. The Hartke had a lot of power and great sounds for a decent price. I think you'd probably like this, too.

Today, I get to change the strings on all of my guitars. Where we did the gig at the Wilson Co. Fair, it was so hot outside and I was sweating profusely! So, even though I wiped my guitars down that night, the strings have rusted! I haven't played since then, and I got out my SX yesterday and my strings had rusted! Oh well, that's the life of a musician....

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 8:45 am

Thanks for the good advice.
I will check all those sites and look to the Epiphone Firefly.
Will try to trade my Vox amp.

I think you don't feel sorry you've sold the Kramer?

Time to restring your SX. Rushy strings?
I think a scourer doesn't work to get your strings rusthy free.
Hmmmm rustproof strings aren't so band LOL
Have fun restringing your guitars today.
I'm glad I never had to restring my guitar.

Last edited by on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 8:57 am

An other amp question.
What's better to buy an amp with a foot pedal or an amp with the knobs at the top of the amp?
And what are great rocking distortions to use.

I played the intro of "Smoke On The Water" and used "UK Modern and "Reverb" That didn't sound very well.
Back to top Go down
sabidoo

sabidoo

Number of posts : 2069
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Staybrite wrote:
The problem channel actually works again (for some reason) but now it has a wicked hum that makes a lot of noise when I'm not playing it (regardless of which channel I'm using).

Sounds like you have a short causing the 60hz hum. Go into the cabinet and look for connections that may not be very strong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
Staybrite

Staybrite

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 2:31 pm

sabidoo wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Sounds like you have a short causing the 60hz hum. Go into the cabinet and look for connections that may not be very strong.

I'd like to, but I'm afraid I would mess something up.
I need a guitar/amp tech. I keep telling the pastor we need a good tech and roady crew but he won't pony up the cash.
scratch

sabidoo

Number of posts : 2069
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 6:10 pm

Staybrite wrote:
sabidoo wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

I'd like to, but I'm afraid I would mess something up.
I need a guitar/amp tech. I keep telling the pastor we need a good tech and roady crew but he won't pony up the cash.
scratch

LOL...must be a Baptist
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
Staybrite

Staybrite

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 7:58 pm

sabidoo wrote:

LOL...must be a Baptist

How'd you guess?
Amp problems. 1

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 12:09 am

My son has a Roland Cube. It's not a gigging amp, but it has a good basic sound, although a pedal helps to get a real crunch out of it.

My advise would be to take your guitar to the store and test out any amp before you buy it. Don't be afraid to take some time to fiddle with the knobs and see if you can get the sound you want out of it. If you can't, why bother spending the money?
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 8:57 am

Good advice Nick.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Amp problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp problems.   Amp problems. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amp problems.
Page 1 of 1