Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

School photos of metal giants

Go down 
+3
Fundy
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

School photos of metal giants Empty
PostSubject: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am

Every "cool" rocker had that "awkward high school period" that proves they're no different than us.
Here's a few yearbook embarrassments for some big names:

School photos of metal giants High_s10
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 am

A couple of those guys don't really any different, just younger. But I love the pictures of Steven Tyler and Marilyn Manson.

I'm actually surprised to see Kurt Cobain smiling, that dude was seriously depressed.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Quote :
I'm actually surprised to see Kurt Cobain smiling, that dude was seriously depressed.

Yeah, I thought the same thing - kinda sad to see that picture
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Steven Tyler lol! these pictures crack me up School photos of metal giants 13074
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5331
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:41 pm

The Alice Cooper one is brilliant. If I saw that photo without his name at the bottom I would be thinking "That sure looks like someone, but I just can't put my finger on who!"

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:44 pm

I find it funny that they even posted a picture of someone in Slipknot. Isn't that the band that wears masks all the time?

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I find it funny that they even posted a picture of someone in Slipknot. Isn't that the band that wears masks all the time?

Good point. They probably did an un-masking like Kiss did in the early 80s... idk, i don't keep up with gimmicky non-Christian bands
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm

When you are looking at the photo of Eddie van Halen you never thought he's making such a cool music.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 6:49 pm

I don't know why people think Cobain was so depressed...

and if he was people sure must not understand it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 3:46 pm

unworthy wrote:
I don't know why people think Cobain was so depressed...

and if he was people sure must not understand it. Smile

Oh he was. Several locals who knew him well stated as such. The fact that he killed himself at the height of his band's popularity and shortly after the birth of his little girl attests to the fact that nothing seemed to make him happy.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

A sad story about Kurt Cubain.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 6:40 pm

yeah.. well.. I'm not convinced that it was suicide.. having watched a couple of documentaries on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 12:53 am

Even if Kurt did kill himself, it wasn't a matter of being "happy". if it was suicide, he obviously had something alon with the depression. That's only my clinical opinion though...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

unworthy wrote:
yeah.. well.. I'm not convinced that it was suicide.. having watched a couple of documentaries on it.

There was this guy (Richard Stark I think) who had a public access show on T.V. called "Kurt Cobain Was Murdered". Once a week, for an hour he would prattle on about his conspiracy theories concerning the death of Kurt. This went on for several months (at least) The guy was rather slow, and obviously more than a few cards shy of a full deck. I can't help myself, but everytime someone says anything about Kurt Cobain's death being something other than a suicide I think of that guy.....and (fair or not) all credibility behind what that person is saying seems gone to me.

Kurt also attempted suicide with pills/drugs, less than a year prior to actual death.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 4:03 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Even if Kurt did kill himself, it wasn't a matter of being "happy". if it was suicide, he obviously had something alon with the depression. That's only my clinical opinion though...

I would correct that to say "It wasn't just a matter of being "happy"". Millions of people suffer from depression but not all of them kill themselves....but from what I have read most people who commit (or attempt) suicide do suffer from depression. My wife has one cousin who attempted suicide and failed, and another who was sucessful at killing herself.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Ok, I feel like I have totally derailed this thread...sorry about that.

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I wonder if any old pictures of guys from stryper or whitecross exist?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 1:59 am

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

I would correct that to say "It wasn't just a matter of being "happy"". Millions of people suffer from depression but not all of them kill themselves....but from what I have read most people who commit (or attempt) suicide do suffer from depression. My wife has one cousin who attempted suicide and failed, and another who was sucessful at killing herself.

I hear ya Gary and wasn't trying to call you out, necessarily... Having worked in mental health for almost a decade, I've met people who just aren't that educated about it.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's cousin. My wife had an uncle that commited suicide when she was 9 (she's now 31) and it still bothers her to this day. I tried once in high school and was about to a second time when I realized it would be my mom who found me. I'm glad I didn't go through with it.

I guess that's more why I said something. Even people who are suffer from severe, chronic depression (like I did) usually don't commit suicide unless there's something else going on. I wonder what effect the drugs had on Kurt, or if he had paranoid schizophrenia or something else even.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:53 am

ishmael81 wrote:

I hear ya Gary and wasn't trying to call you out, necessarily... Having worked in mental health for almost a decade, I've met people who just aren't that educated about it.

No worries, I didn't think you were taking me to task, and I certainly expect with your experience that you are much more educated on the subject than I am.

ishmael81 wrote:

I'm sorry
to hear about your wife's cousin. My wife had an uncle that commited
suicide when she was 9 (she's now 31) and it still bothers her to this
day.

Sorry to hear that your wife had to go through that. I didn't mention it before but one of my good friends from college committed suicide a few years ago. The part that hit me hardest was that I had fallen out of touch with him but had recently talked to him on the phone (about 3 months before he killed himself). Neither of us were Christians in college (and he still wasn't) and I didn't do anything about sharing the gospel with him.....still bugs me to this day. I still have his e-mail address in my contacts list and can't bring myself to delete it.

ishmael81 wrote:

.....I tried once in high school and was about to a second time when I
realized it would be my mom who found me. I'm glad I didn't go through
with it.

I guess that's more why I said something. Even people
who are suffer from severe, chronic depression (like I did) usually
don't commit suicide unless there's something else going on. I wonder
what effect the drugs had on Kurt, or if he had paranoid schizophrenia
or something else even.

I have struggled with depression most of my life as well. I gave thought to committing suicide more than once when I was a teen, but thankfully never even came close enough to even plan it out. I am certainly glad to hear that you weren't successful in your attempt. Praise God for keeping so many of us from doing something so dreadful.

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:38 pm

This thread diversion brings up another topic… How would one go about spreading the Gospel to depressed/suicidal teenagers? I know some of you are ministers, so I could appreciate advice on this. Some of my classmates and acquaintances lead really miserable lives and are very depressive at times.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:50 am

I'm no minister, but when I went through it, I had people who were going through or had been through the same thing talk with me about it. It made me realize I wasn't alone.

The time I tried, I had stolen some pills and Jack Daniel's from a friend's aunt. It didn't kill me but I thought I was going to die from the vomiting. The second time, I had my dad's shotgun, but couldn't go through with it.

I told a friend, as a very harsh joke, about it. He didn't laugh, or cry, he just said "I've been there too. I didn't want my mom to find me either."

That was like a slap in the face, man. Just being able to relate and see how he came through it helped me. And I grew up in church.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 am

Gary, don't EVEN worry about "derailing" this thread.. this is GOOD stuff. If a silly picture like the one I posted , can bring about such rich conversation, then let it be !! This is great!
We all know someone, or is someone, who has depression issues.
dbf, having had very low seratonin my whole life is like being someone who knows everything is just fine in life, yet still feels depressed/sad/down/unmotivated.
I came to faith at 19 and my desire to no longer live went away - I felt purpose, but didn't lose the physical abnormalty in my brain that causes depression. So even though I came to faith, knew I was now a child of the Father, and later married the most wonderful woman on earth, I still struggle with periods of emotional difficulty...
Now, I told you all that to tell you this: What to do for friends, teens, loved ones with depression ? BE THERE !! I can't tell you how many times I just wanted someone to just simply be there for me and let me know "you're gonna get through this, there will be better times coming"- My wife has been fantastic for this. She's reminded me many times that it's a normal part of my condition and that just like all the times before, I'll get thru this one too.
Someone being there for a sufferer of depression is no guarantee they won't end it all, but it is a strong deterrant for many !
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 3:44 pm

It is really easy to get caught up in the "hardness" of daily life. It seems that somebody is always disappointed in you, or angry at you....or things just don't go your way. It becomes easy to dwell on the negative things. Especially for teens that are unsure of their future.

One thing that helps me struggle through fits of depression is to be reminded (usually through reading scripture) that I am to find my joy in Christ, not the things of this world. Just knowing that someday I will get to leave all this imperfect world behind and be in the everlasting perfection of God is often enough to keep me from despair.

(fine Jim, I will keep letting us derail your thread) Laughing

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Staybrite wrote:
It is really easy to get caught up in the "hardness" of daily life. It seems that somebody is always disappointed in you, or angry at you....or things just don't go your way. It becomes easy to dwell on the negative things. Especially for teens that are unsure of their future.

One thing that helps me struggle through fits of depression is to be reminded (usually through reading scripture) that I am to find my joy in Christ, not the things of this world. Just knowing that someday I will get to leave all this imperfect world behind and be in the everlasting perfection of God is often enough to keep me from despair.

(fine Jim, I will keep letting us derail your thread) Laughing

Amen. The peace of God is almost magical, something I haven't found in stuff of the world. That may sound cliché, but trusting in God just feels right, y'know? It's like having a burden off one's shoulders.

My main problem is that I suck at motivating people. I have a "get-over-it-and-move-on" mentality towards struggles, which is not very helpful for the seriously depressed. God can still work through that, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School photos of metal giants   School photos of metal giants I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

School photos of metal giants
Page 1 of 1