For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Sunday Plans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Sunday Plans   Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 pm

I have found myself in a rather odd situation. As you may or may not know, a while back Downhere announced that they were ending their touring ministry until further notice, and that they'd be setting aside a dozen or so dates in October for a brief "farewell" tour. Unfortunately, until now I have found myself unable to attend any of the few farewell tour dates due to having class from 1-3 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (the closest concert dates have been 4-5 hours away).

A couple weeks ago, my dad found out that he could get a good deal on tickets to the Bengals-Dolphins game this coming Sunday through work. Because of this, I requested Sunday off so I could go to the game with my family.

This afternoon, the teacher announced that we would not be having class on Monday because he's taking a personal day.

Downhere is playing a concert in Orland Park, IL (near Chicago) on Sunday, which is about 4 1/2 to 5 hours from here (depending on which map site you look at). Since I'm already off on Sunday and usually don't work until 6:45pm on Mondays, I'm now thinking about going to the concert instead.

This is a tough situation for me - I really want to go to the game (how often will I be able to attend a Bengals game for $30+ less than the "cheap" seats normally retail for, especially with my parents and sister?), but I also find it very difficult to miss out on what may be my last opportunity to see one of my favorite bands in concert.

Someone on the Downhere forum suggested I do both - stay at the game for a while, then leave and go to the concert, having someone save me a seat since I'd be arriving right about the time the show started.

This seemed like a good idea at first since the estimated driving time was 4 1/2 hours and the concert starts at 7 my time, but I'm not sure that will work now, both because I'd likely have to allow time to get gas (not sure I can get from here to Orland Park on a full tank) and because one site is saying it will take 5 hours to get there instead of 4 1/2 (even when I adjust the route to match that of the other site). When I add in time to get from the stadium to the car, I figure I'd only be able to stay for about 30 minutes at the most before leaving.

So, I need to figure out what to do here, before I talk to my parents about it (I'd be driving their car and I still live at home, so I can't really do this without involving them in the decision as well). Do I just enjoy the football game and the rare Sunday off, and hope I have another opportunity to see Downhere at some point in the future, do I try to do both the concert and the game, or do I just decide to skip the game entirely?
Back to top Go down
http://www.archiefans.com
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3366
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm

My first thought - I think your parents would understand you going to the concert.

My second thought - what if you never get the chance to see Downhere again? The Bengals aren't going anywhere anytime soon (that I know of) and hopefully you'd get to go again.

My third thought - explain to your folks what's going on and see what they think. If they're like mine, they'd probably encourage you to go to the show.

I say all this because I had the chance to go see Resurrection Band (my favorite) at their 40 year celebration at Cornerstone this year and passed because I couldn't afford it. If I could have, I would have taken off work, called out of my second job and skipped church because how soon will they play a show again?
Back to top Go down
unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:29 pm

talk to your parents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:04 pm

I would choose the concert!!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18236
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:47 pm

unworthy wrote:
talk to your parents.

This! And I would def vote for going to the show....the Bengals will still be playing next year...and the year after that....

Number of posts : 14685
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm

It's what unworthy and Staybrite have told.
Talk to your parents and tell them what you really like.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18184
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 am

I'd talk to your parents. However, if they have already purchased the game tickets and you agreed to go, then I think you should let your word stand and go to the game with them. I lost my mom at age 24 and my dad at 40. While I'd hate to miss a band I like on their final shows (it happens, though), I'd much rather make that memory with my folks as they won't be around forever either.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:54 am

Good point alldat. Let your yes be yes...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18236
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I'd talk to your parents. However, if they have already purchased the game tickets and you agreed to go, then I think you should let your word stand and go to the game with them. I lost my mom at age 24 and my dad at 40. While I'd hate to miss a band I like on their final shows (it happens, though), I'd much rather make that memory with my folks as they won't be around forever either.

Wow, way to make us all look petty and selfish. lol! (But you do have a point)

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 am

So what'd you do???
Back to top Go down
unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:35 pm

you see.. all I said was talk to your parents.. I didn't say what to do.. so I wasn't selfish Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunday Plans   

Back to top Go down

Sunday Plans
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1