Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs

Go down 
+5
ishmael81
Driven
alldatndensum
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs Empty
PostSubject: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

A lot of traditional Christmas songs are phenomenal (ie read the lyrics to "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing").

[There's obviously some fairly newer songs that have become traditional like the Reindeer hit-and-run Grandma song that was funny the first few times, but is now just annoying.]

However, the MOST annoying traditional song to me the Little Drummer Boy. Completely fantasy, non-Biblical account that confuses the world into thinking that this junk is actually in the Scriptures- ie the ox and lamb keeping time while this kid played his Zildjian. I can't stand that song! !!

Last edited by Guilty/Forgiven on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:52 pm

I am not a fan of any christmas music...christian or secular.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 3:06 pm

That's one way to sum it up Twisted Evil Laughing
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 5:15 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I am not a fan of any christmas music...christian or secular.

Wow! And here I thought I was the only one! (well not entirely I do like a few songs....but very few).

This is actually one of the few Christmas songs I like.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Mary Did You Know is one of my favorites. I could listen to it any time of the year.

My least favorite? Probably "The Little Drummer Boy" unless it is rocked out by Whiteheart. Then, I can still listen to it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
However, the MOST annoying traditional song to me the Little Drummer Boy. Completely fantasy, non-Biblical account that confuses the world into thinking that this junk is actually in the Scriptures- ie the ox and lamb keeping time while this kid played his Zildjian. I can't stand that song! !!

Not trying to be nitpicky but Zildjian (I think that's how it's spelled) is a cymbal company. Razz

My favourite traditional Christmas song might be What Child Is This, or Feliz Navidad (prospero año y felicidad…). As to songs I can't stand, can't think of any at the moment.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 4:48 pm

I always liked I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. It was originally a poem by Charles Wadsworth Longfellow. He wrote it about his son enlisting for the Civil War without his permission, then got seriously wounded, his wife dying in a house fire, his resulting atheism and his return of faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq7Rw03yhl4
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 5:16 pm

One of my favorite songs is one written by Ricky Scaggs but the version I like is by the Gaither Vocal Band. It's called "New Star Shining". I am doing it in our Christmas program at church.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 am

My favorite christmas songs are

"O Holy Night" this wil be a song full of emotional memories this Christmas.
"Joy To The World"

The most funny Christmas song is "Winter Wonderland" of Stryper.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Quote :
Not trying to be nitpicky but Zildjian (I think that's how it's spelled) is a cymbal company. Razz

lol! Shows how much I know Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Ascension

Ascension

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Wow that is surprising here! Being I was a Classical Guitar performance major I adore Christmas time as I actually get to rock the heck out of classical riffs. This year I did all our Churches arrangements for Christmas music. Next year if we get into the new building we are trying to buy with the HUGE stage I plan on doing a full on TSO style production.
With a LOT of the better metal stuff having strong classical influences who would have thunk that this board in particular would have so many who don't like the traditional Christmas stuff melodically.
Back to top Go down
Ascension

Ascension

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Here is one that I thought was a KILLER.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLhL0UQwJ8E
I wanted to pull this off at my Church this year but unfortunately the bass player and other 2 guitarist in the band couldn't get the groove right on this to save their lives.
Sounded like the white bread Pat Boone version every time we tried to play it.
We did pull off a decent version of this however!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLhb3qUA3uc
Back to top Go down
Ascension

Ascension

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 8:58 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
One of my favorite songs is one written by Ricky Scaggs but the version I like is by the Gaither Vocal Band. It's called "New Star Shining". I am doing it in our Christmas program at church.
We do an unplugged set every year on Christmas eve. I have never heard this song till now and might try to pull this off next year for that set thanks for posting this man!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 pm

It's not that I "dislike" the classical, traditional Christmas songs of old, it's that they are PLAYED OUT ! (In fact I love them, even though they're so out of range for the average human, no one can sing them)

Bands continue to perform Christmas songs every year using the same tunes, however they attempt to change them up any. It's still the same tune.

What I'd like to hear in December of 2013 are bands re-imagining music to the traditional lyrics. THAT would be a welcome change and would probably sell very well (depending how well the songs are done).
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Not really a fan of Christmas music, there's a few songs I don't mind too much......mostly I like instrumental jazz arrangements of Christmas music or something really rocked out like Deliverance doing Silent Night.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 am

I love Christmas music, but I can only listen to them in church or very infrequently on my CD player. There are some great songs out there, it's just it feels so wrong singing about it in Mid June! However, Easter songs I love all year round!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs   Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best and Worse Traditional Christmas songs
Page 1 of 1