Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Worship band players

Go down 
+2
ishmael81
Driven
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Worship band players Empty
PostSubject: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 5:46 pm

I have a question… so I've been playing on Sundays for a few months now (mostly bass but sometimes drums). We usually do two upbeat songs as the introduction, and three slower songs during mid-service, and one or two closing songs. However, I've noticed that I tend to lose my concentration towards the middle of the worship set, during the slower songs. Do you have any tips for staying focused during these slower songs? If so, pray share them. Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I played drums for our old church. It's easy to get distracted during slow songs.

You mentioned what I did a lot of during that time - pray. Also, how do you view what you're doing? Are you just playing drums, or are you worshipping God with your playing? Once I began to worship God through that skill, it was a whole new ballgame.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 7:09 pm

I used to play guitar (and sometimes bass) in the band at my old church. I too would tend to loose focus (ie get bored) during the less upbeat songs. It helped me to stay focus by making up silly words to the songs....Kind of a Silly Worship Songs with Larrry (ala Veggie Tales) kinda thing.

So kind of the opposite of what Ishy suggested. (lol)

bassdude

Number of posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 8:58 am

To be a little more serious, I would say you need to focus on your dynamics on the slower songs.......most songs may be really quiet on the verses but build to a big chorus..........make the soft parts really soft and then bring it with all you've got in the louder parts.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 4:45 pm

bassdude wrote:
To be a little more serious.....

Ummmm I was being serious (well my suggestion might have been silly....but that is seriously what I did).

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Ish: prayer's always a good idea eh? And how do you see yourself (mindset) worshipping as opposed to just playing?
Staybrite: fun suggestion, but I'm prone to breaking out laughing and it wouldn't do. Thanks but won't work for me Razz
Bassdude: I'll have to keep that in mind, because I don't always watch my dynamics.

Thanks all! Keep 'em coming Smile
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 am

I played in jazz and symphonic bands for years before i played for our church. I did this to entertain the crowd and for my own enjoyment.

But when I played with the worship band, it was different. See, leading worship isn't just done by the person singing the most while they play the piano or guitar. It's done by the whole band. If you play as if you're playing for the Lord, you're leading worship and the congregation sees that.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Here's an example of good dynamics from my worship band......I'm on bass, my friend Matt is on drums.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 9:54 pm

So my church switched me to headphones for drums… quite a different experience, kinda helped me keep focused.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 pm

When I used to play ohn a praise band, I kept my focus during slower songs by tryign to find ways to get some great embellishments and and little harmonic parts to just give some great layers and feeling to the songs. You don't want to get too busy with the bass during slower songs, but there are ways to really add to what is going on.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Ascension

Ascension

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 7:08 pm

That's all I do now is the Worship stuff. Don't get boredom during slow stuff at all as many times the slower stuff is much more challenging to really play with dynamics right than the fast stuff is so??
Man many times in worship I'm shredding harder than I did doing the metal stuff so boredom is NOT a problem. May be the settings where I'm playing vs where you are.
Back to top Go down
Ascension

Ascension

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 7:12 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
When I used to play ohn a praise band, I kept my focus during slower songs by tryign to find ways to get some great embellishments and and little harmonic parts to just give some great layers and feeling to the songs. You don't want to get too busy with the bass during slower songs, but there are ways to really add to what is going on.
Word on that and same with guitar or drums.
Learning what not to play is most important in worship but even in the slow open parts if you can play tastefully you can still keep things interesting.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 am

For the Christmas Eve service, we did a few rocking tunes (me on bass, my brother on drums, our singer on keys, a senior on organ and a friend on acoustic guitar) at first. Then we switched to an acoustic-based gig for the second half, where the singer switched to acoustic guitar and I accompanied the two guitars. I actually hadn't played one of the songs until the service (Silent Night) so I got to make up a walking bass line on the fly. It was mostly arpeggios though.

Here was our set list:
[intro]
Hark The Herald Angels Sing
Joy To The World (Unspeakable Joy)

[mid-service]
Emmanuel (Hallowed Manger Ground)
O Come All Ye Faithful
Everything Changed

[near end, candlelight service, acoustic]
All This Glory
O Holy Night
Silent Night
Our King Has Come

Despite my having a cold, I did pretty well, I guess. Having my brother as timekeeper was another boon, because we know each other pretty well by now. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worship band players   Worship band players I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worship band players
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: