Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Angelic Warlord down due to...

Go down 
+3
topshot rhit
rockerVu2
Dynamis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Angelic Warlord down due to... Empty
PostSubject: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 4:16 pm

a major computer crash. Perhaps I should put this in the Prayer Request Section, but I have just experienced a major computer crash and as a result, Angelic Warlord is on temporary hold until a new computer can be acquired. I would like to thank everyone ahead of time for their patience as I go through this period of transition.

Please note that the site is NOT down, but rather I will be unable to do updates until I can purchase a new computer.

Also, for those of you that are "tech savy", here is the problem: I attempted to download a "free" Media Player. But the download did not work- it downloaded a virus instead and a bunch of programs and software I do not need. Most of the programs I was able to remove but not the virus.

As a result of the virus, none of the Icons on my desktop would not work (I would have to right click and then select open in order to launch them). I also received error messages when opening Word documents.

This morning I called a Computer Technician from a local reputable computer service company (I have used them in the past with no problems). He used a bunch of anti-virus programs such as ComboFix all to no avail. He attempted to use "MalwareBytes" but the virus would prevent him from loading it. He then attempted to run "MalwareBytes" via DOS- this worked at first until "MalwareBytes" crashed and took everything with it (for a lack of better words). Right now I am unable to access any programs (Dreamweaver, Norton, IE, etc) with Icons on my desktop. I am, however, able to access Firefox via the Start Menu.

Perhaps those here who are "tech savy" could offer some words of insight. I did not get upset at the technician for not solving the problem (even though he still charged me for the time spent). But I would like to know: Was he negligent in any way for attempting to run "MalwareByes" via DOS? Or was this the only option available?

Looking forward to any responses regarding this matter.

BTW, it's long overdue that I purchase a new computer, in that my current computer is an old Sony Vaio I purchased in 2005 with an outdated version of Windows XP.

Thanks,

Andy
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Ohhh Andy, that terrible for you.

Praying that an expert is able to fix you computer or you soon can buy a new computer.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Why didn't the tech boot via a CD so the virus never gets loaded? Then he should have been able to run scans to remove it. I wouldn't say he was negligent though. Just not very smart. Very Happy

And what media player were you trying to get so others don't have this issue? FWIW, despite the odd name, Foobar 2000 is the top dog. Wink

Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 pm

The player in question was the SM Player. Hope to have more information for everyone in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Ahlitah

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Hmm, you could still get it working again.

And what does 'crashed and took everything with it' mean?

Does the computer still start-up? your data should still be there, even if windows is messed.

Re-install XP, but then you would lose your data unless it was backed up.

Or install XP on another HD, and with a anti-virus running and copy over your data from the OLD hd, then format it. Then you can use it for storage.

i've downloaded sm player before, no problems. maybe you didn't download from the official sourceforge site?

don't use the player myself, but it wasn't bad.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 1:55 am

Did run Malware bytes in DOS or safe mode? I've always read you should run it in safe mode.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 12:53 pm

I want to thank everyone for their input and encouraging words regarding this issue. Here is an update:

After sleeping on the matter, I decided it would be best to purchase a new computer. The infected computer is 7 years old and runs Windows XP. I faced the option of either reinstalling Windows XP or going the new computer route. The latter makes most sense.

At this point it might be several weeks before the next site update. If any luck it might be next weekend. Basically considering my options at this point in that I do not need the most powerful computer to run the site- looking at some reasonably priced HP or Gateway computers and plan to stop by Best Buy and some other electronic outlets when running errands this afternoon.

So once I get the new computer powered up, it will simply be a matter of reinstalling Dreamweaver, logging into the Control Panel of the WHP and then downloading the Angelic Warlord files. Hopefully it will be this easy...

Thanks,

Andy
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Also, here is some more technical aspects to the matter:

Quote :
Why didn't the tech boot via a CD so the virus never gets loaded? Then
he should have been able to run scans to remove it. I wouldn't say he
was negligent though. Just not very smart.

The tech attempted everything to bypass the virus and run Malwarebytes- safe mode, DOS, etc. The virus will block it from a CD as well.

Quote :
And what does 'crashed and took everything with it' mean?

Initially after downloading the virus I could access all applications by right clicking on the Icon and selecting Open. After the tech spent a couple of hours on the computer, the Open option was no longer available when you right click on the Icon. I probbly could have explained things better in this area Very Happy

Quote :
Does the computer still start-up? your data should still be there, even if windows is messed.

Yes, the computer still starts up. As a matter of fact, I am typing this e-mail on the infected computer. The only program I can access is Firefox, and that is via the Start menu. Basically the only thing that works. All my data is there- spend several hours yesterday backing everything up on disc.

Quote :
Re-install XP, but then you would lose your data unless it was backed up.

Or
install XP on another HD, and with a anti-virus running and copy over
your data from the OLD hd, then format it. Then you can use it for
storage.

As already stated, I figured the best thing to do would be to buy a new computer since the infected one is 7 years old.

Quote :
i've downloaded sm player before, no problems. maybe you didn't download from the official sourceforge site?

What started this matter is that I downloaded the latest version of WMP only to discover that you have to pay additional in order to play DVDs. If I was not so set on playing DVDs this matter would not have happened- this is what is so maddening. Evil or Very Mad

Quote :
Did run Malware bytes in DOS or safe mode? I've always read you should run it in safe mode.

Yes, he attempted to run it in Safe Mode and the virus still blocked it.

Oh and finally, here is one more thing: I figured out how to access certain programs I need to run the site such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc by using the Run function and getting in through the back door. I could probably do an update this weekend but do not want to risk uploading what might be infected or corrupt Dreamweaver files.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Serious bummer Andy, so sorry to hear this. If I were you I would be buying a new computer too.

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Quote :
Serious bummer Andy, so sorry to hear this. If I were you I would be buying a new computer too.

The good news is that it will probably be only two weeks (perhaps only 1 with any luck) between updates to the site. This will also give me a bit of a break between updates and come back with renewed energy and focus.

Also, I found a creative new way to raise funds for the purchase of the new computer: And that is to cancel some expensive pending dental work. Some dentists wants to charge me $1000 for a pair of crowns and decided that a new computer would be the better way to spend the money.

At least I am not opening a Kickstarter account to fund the new computer. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 10:05 am

Quote :
At least I am not opening a Kickstarter account to fund the new computer. Very Happy

You are great Andy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:02 am

I'm thankful for the wealth of info on AW. Keep up the great work on that site man.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 am

Dynamis wrote:
Quote :
Why didn't the tech boot via a CD so the virus never gets loaded? Then
he should have been able to run scans to remove it. I wouldn't say he
was negligent though. Just not very smart.

The tech attempted everything to bypass the virus and run Malwarebytes- safe mode, DOS, etc. The virus will block it from a CD as well.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. If you have something like the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (which any decent tech would - it's free), you can boot the PC into XP from that CD so the normal hard drive is never accessed and thus impossible for the virus to load, even if it's in the master boot record. I've used it many times to image my drives. Takes a while, but you're guaranteed a clean boot.

Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 pm

I just want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement in this area in that over the past day or so I have had some breakthroughs in regards to the computer.

Yesterday evening was spent undoing all of the damage the technician did on Saturday with the end result a functioning computer. By functioning I do not mean a clean bill of health, but at least the computer now runs well enough I can proceed with updating the site this weekend. And for that I am very excited.

This evening I ran an online program that completed a 40 minute scan of the computer and quarantined/eliminated a couple of trojan viruses in the process. Another scan removed a ton of unwanted adware.

So at least we are good to go. For a while there I was feeling a lot of pressure thinking I had to purchase a new computer right away- and such is not the case in that it definitely is time for a new computer but at least I can take the needed time and work through any bugs and problems without added pressure.

Thanks again,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord down due to...   Angelic Warlord down due to... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angelic Warlord down due to...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: