Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Christian ROCK album you heard?

Go down 
+15
LRW
Follower of Jesus
MikeInFla
mr.electric40
BearDad
Fundy
rockerVu2
ishmael81
Hardkore
Guilty/Forgiven
Dynamis
alldatndensum
Samson
Staybrite
music___me
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
music___me

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-06-28

First Christian ROCK album you heard? Empty
PostSubject: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Not metal, but ROCK. What was the first Christian rock album you heard? Were you wowed by it?

My first experience with Christian rock was Beat the System and that same summer the Live: Captured in Time and Space release.

Both wowed me big time.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 5:52 pm

The first Christian rock album I ever heard was White Heart's "Hotline".  I was a few decades before I became a Christian and the album was relatively new.  I spent a summer working for a guy that installed drapes and blinds (ahh 1985).  He would play that cassette nearly every day in the van when we drove to and from job locations.
The album grew on me really fast, so much so that I went out and bought my own copy.  Before I became a Christian the only Christian music I owned was most of the early Stryper catalog and that one White Heart cassette.

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-06-28

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Dude. Hotline. We LOVE that album here at the house. My children listen to it quite a bit. We have it on vinyl.
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 6:15 pm

My first exposure to Christian rock was Petra-Beyond Belief back in 1991. I was in 8th grade, and had just moved out of state to a new school, and another boy who I became friends with had made the Petra logo from Beyond Belief out of clay in art class. (You know, the clay where you later harden it in a kiln?)

Anyway, curiosity got the better of me, and I asked him about it, and a few days later, he made me a blank tape of Beyond Belief, which I wore out in my walkman. That planted the seed which led me to becoming a die-hard Petra fan.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 pm

I had a few Stryper albums.  But, when I got into Christian metal and rock in 1990, I bought a bunch of tapes on sale at a local Christian bookstore.  All of them were considered "metal" at the time.  But, Petra's "Beyond Belief"  was probably the first rock I heard even though that used to be in the metal section at that store I went to.

Some of the others I discovered after that were Third Day, Audio Adrenaline, Newsboys, etc.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 11:58 pm

That would be either "Shallow Water" by Servant or Resurrection Band's "Awaiting Your Reply".
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:39 am

First ROCK album for me probably was Crossection -Breaking Ground. I heard a song on a CCM station in 1989 and loved it, not knowing it was the "ballad" song off the album. So when I bought the cassette, I was blown away by the clean sounding rock album that it was. My initial thought was, wow, this is what Night Ranger would sound like if they got saved !

Album's still in my top 10 favs.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 9:27 am

My first was Beat the System as well. I can't remember the whole effect of how I felt but it must have been good. I still love that disc today.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 am

It was actually a mix tape our youth pastor had made.  I listened to a bunch of secular stuff at the time (Rage Against the Machine, Sex Pistols, NOFX, etc.) and he had a tape with a bunch of Petra.  The first song was God Gave Rock and Roll to You.  I asked him about it and he told me there was a whole sub-genre of Christian music.  He even helped me find some alternatives to the secular stuff I liked (NOFX => MxPx, and that kind of thing).
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 11:33 am

music___me wrote:
Dude. Hotline. We LOVE that album here at the house. My children listen to it quite a bit. We have it on vinyl.

I still have my original cassette tape (not that it's worth anything).  I get very nostalgic when I hear that album.

Last edited by Staybrite on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 am

Dynamis wrote:
That would be either "Shallow Water" by Servant or Resurrection Band's "Awaiting Your Reply".

Would that have been in the early 1980's?

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 2:48 pm

The first Christian album I heard was "To Hell With The Devil".
Then I discovered Whitecross, Bride, Siloam, Idle Cure, Bloodgood.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 3:03 pm

First one I heard was Petra's Not Of This World, back in 1987 when a friend went over to USA and Canada for a holiday.  Wasn't for another seven years before I listened to them again (Wake Up Call) and then became hooked!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Quote :
Would that have been in the early 1980's?

Yes, that is correct- 1981 to be exact.

I was first introduced to Servant and Rez Band and later discovered Daniel Band, Barnabas, Jerusalem, Petra, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Not sure if it was Petra - Not of This World or Resurrection Band - Colours. Either way I was hooked.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Fundy wrote:
First one I heard was Petra's Not Of This World, back in 1987 when a friend went over to USA and Canada for a holiday.  Wasn't for another seven years before I listened to them again (Wake Up Call) and then became hooked!

Fundy

Crazy! I didn't read your post before replying, yet we said virtually the same thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 12:38 pm

Mommy Dont Love Daddy Anymore - Resurrection Band .... early 1983 or late 82....  8th or 9th grade.... loaned to me by a guy from school who knew my musical tastes.... snickered when I heard elevator muzik tho...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 1:08 pm

BearDad, we obviously both have impeccable taste!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 7:34 am

More Power To Ya. I was NOT impressed. Even at that young age (12 or 13) I was into the heavier stuff. They recorded parts of Captured In Time &Space in knoxville. I was at that show. Was a good show but didnt care for the album. First metal was Stryper's Reason For The Season vinyl single. Now THAT blew me away!
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 8:05 am

Petra - Captured in Time & Space

-and-

Whiteheart - Live at Six Flags

My brother and my cousin had these tapes back in '86, and I honestly don't remember which one I heard first, but both are my earliest memories of anything harder than Sandi Patty.

Then in '87, I heard White Lion, Dokken, Stryper, Whitecross, Ratt, and the I was lost to metal forever.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 11:33 am

Whiteheart - Live at Six Flags = I've yet to listen to that one... one of these days...
Back to top Go down
LRW

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Petra, Beyond Belief... still has a special place in my heart. I also loved alot of the Shout / Tamplin stuff of that time!
Back to top Go down
IM4given

IM4given

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 3:25 pm

It was probably something by REZ.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 pm

Live Fireworks! by Fireworks
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 am

^^ Just scored Fireworks first release on vinyl last weekend for a buck !  So stoked ! Now I have 2 original Fireworks LPs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Christian ROCK album you heard?   First Christian ROCK album you heard? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Christian ROCK album you heard?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: