Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores

Go down 
+4
alldatndensum
Staybrite
Hardkore
Guilty/Forgiven
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores Empty
PostSubject: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:46 am

I found this interesting... and somewhat ridiculous in most cases:

LIST OF ALBUMS CENSORED BY CHRISTIAN BOOKSTORES:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_albums_censored_by_Christian_bookstores#endnote_Ws
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 2:00 am

Interesting read..thanks for posting it.

I am glad you added "in most cases"..cause I agree with some of the bans.

Any album that uses profanity or has sexually explicit lyrics SHOULD be banned from Christian bookstores. I believe there should be a standard of decency expected from a Christian bookstore. If you still want it, there is always other outlets.

Some of them do get crazy though.

Stryper's To Hell With The Devil was banned by some until they changed covers.

Last edited by bought4life on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:04 am

I agree.  I do think a couple of the albums were "misunderstood" by these "judges". The album by Bill Malonee's Vigilantes of Love is a genius work of art, and the only song in question is about love between a married couple. He's actually celebrating that love lyrically in a way that isn't much different than Solomon's Song (and his racy song made it into the Bible). I think we should be responsible as Christian writers, but sometimes the censorship needs to take a look at the Bible's words and realize there's a lot in the Bible itself that's pretty racy and more "adult" oriented.

This could make for a separate interesting discussion - sometimes we don't even acknowledge that the Bible has some harsh stories in it. You don't see too many kid's books with a drawing of a kid hacking the head off a giant person, or terrified people screaming for their lives while drowning in a never-ending world of water, etc - you get my drift... we always see the cutesy pictures of fuzzy animals on a boat with some happy old people.  (I know I've drifted off the subject kind of), How much Biblical "reality" is appropriate for younger kids, and for that matter why don't we hear more of the ugly things from the pulpit ?
Anyways, I'm just blabbin on this morning, but some interesting things to think about...
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 am

I see the first two discs by Vengeance Rising are listed with the reason being "Cover art, musical style". It seems kinda silly to mention those yet no mention of Believer's Extraction from Mortality since it would probably be on the list for the same thing. Makes me kinda wonder.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 am

exactly - double standards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 am

Along with what I said earlier, I also think in some cases I am ok with an album being banned from a Christian store only because of overly graphic covers. 

Because I believe that, whether it is right or wrong, a Christian bookstore needs to cater to a wide range of people and I believe that older generations would find those kind of covers offensive. I don't think a Christian bookstores role is to shock people. Of course, the whole Christian book market is corrupt anyway, but that's another rant.

I really think it is a lack of respect for others to have covers like that and expect them to be displayed in Christian stores. As Christians we shouldn't be offensive to other Christians in matters like this, even if it means holding back a little on what we want. As long as we stay true to the Word and we don't have to compromise our faith. Too many Christians today do what they want regardless of how others feel about. I am not talking about whether or not you offend someone by speaking Biblical truth BTW, I mean how we act in day to day life.

I am not saying ban a cover with the hand of Jesus with a nail in it, or like Stryper's TWTD. I am talking about the covers that you see on a lot of the albums from brutal/unblack/death metal bands. I never understood, and never will, the reasoning behind those kinds of covers. I know there was a whole thread about that (that I started) in CMR and people commonly used the excuse of having to blend in to reach the kids that are into that genre and that the cover is actually based on the Bible..blah blah blah. The problem with that theory is that so many bands aren't really trying to "reach" anyone other than to sell records. And just because something is in the Bible doesn't mean it really should be turned into art, like demons and stuff. I think that is glorifying the demons IMO, a ton of anti-Christian bands (like Venom) use stuff from the Bible, but they don't use it to glorify the creator they use it to glorify the evil..cause that's what is "cool".

wow..sorry guys..just my opinion
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 11:34 am

I find many of the Christian self help books (and the name it and claim books) to be more offensive than much of the music for sale....but that might just be me.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Agreed.  I do think that sometimes that some of the books on the shelves contain some doctrines that would be far more offensive.  Walk into most Christian bookstores and you will find Joel Osteen.  Some of his stuff is more "power of positive thinking" BS than real teaching from the Bible.

Some of the covers that have been banned from the bookstores were silly.  Stryper's THWTD offensive?  It was COOL!  However, I think some artists do a controversial cover just to get a little publicity to insure album sales.  A controversy is nothing more than free advertising that no one can put a price tag on.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 pm

These are the same "Christian" bookstores that carry music albums by Jimmy Swaggart and Carman. (don't get me wrong, I dig me some carman sometimes) but without getting into a debate on their theologies, my point is, they won't carry an excellent album by Ultimatum cuz it has a ::gasp:: skull on it, but they don't flinch at carrying music by artists who have questionable doctrines.

Doesn't it make more sense to "ban" albums with DOCTRINAL issues, rather than an album that has the word "butt" in the lyrics ? or an album with grisly looking art ?

Old folks walk into a Christian bookstore, they shop around, and probably avoid the music section for rock and metal anyways. Most elderly nowadays would see some crazy artwork on a metal album cover and just think "kids these days." I don't know, maybe I'm wrong on that.

It's goofy
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 3:57 pm

This is why I don't shop at Christian stores.  I'd prefer to decide what's appropriate and what's offensive on my own so you can butt your nose out, Lifeway.

I always used to laugh at my wife when she would talk about things like this. "I don't think a Christian should watch a scary movie" or whatever.  I suggested she read Judges 19.  She did and never said anything about it to me again.

Don't get me wrong, I think there should be discernment, but I'm a grown-up and can choose what I want to listen to/watch/read/etc.

Last edited by ishmael81 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3496
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 4:36 pm

He said
[censored]:
!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 5:00 pm

kerrick wrote:
He said
[censored]:
!!!

lol! 

I knew I would be in the minority on this one....and rightfully so probably.

I guess I won't win many debates being so willing to roll over, will I? It just happens to be one of those things I am not overly convinced I am right to begin with....lol
Fight
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Nah I'd agree with you: you gotta draw the line somewhere.  Hahahaha I just imagined a "back room" of a video rental store but one for a Christian book store that had all the gnarly metal CDs hahahaha...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 pm

kerrick wrote:
Nah I'd agree with you: you gotta draw the line somewhere.  Hahahaha I just imagined a "back room" of a video rental store but one for a Christian book store that had all the gnarly metal CDs hahahaha...

That would be hilarious!!!

And when you walk towards the back, everyone kinda stops and stares at you. Parents cover the eyes of their little kids. And the seniors just stand there shaking there head in disapproval...lol
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Ha!  And they'd give you special opaque bags to carry your CDs in so no one would see the covers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:41 pm

kerrick wrote:
Ha!  And they'd give you special opaque bags to carry your CDs in so no one would see the covers.

ROTFL 

and make you leave through the back door...and then quickly disinfect their hands from handing money you had touched...
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm

This whole thread = lol!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 pm

bought4life wrote:
kerrick wrote:

ROTFL 

and make you leave through the back door...and then quickly disinfect their hands from handing money you had touched...

I'd feel the same way buying a book by Jimmy Swaggart!  LOL

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 am

alldatndensum wrote:
bought4life wrote:
kerrick wrote:

ROTFL 

I'd feel the same way buying a book by Jimmy Swaggart!  LOL

Yeah..but with Jimmy it's more than just hands that need to be washed off...Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 9:46 am

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the back room and opaque bags and so forth... Is that a movie reference?
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the back room and opaque bags and so forth... Is that a movie reference?

No, no movie reference…  But video rental stores would have back rooms for “adult” movies – hidden away from everyone else.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 pm

kerrick wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

No, no movie reference…  But video rental stores would have back rooms for “adult” movies – hidden away from everyone else.

Soooo... are we to assume you and b4l have partaken of these... services? lol! ROTFL
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Ha!  What a punk.  For the record, I have NOT!

p.s. you have 666 posts...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Quote :
ishmael81
kerrick wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

Soooo... are we to assume you and b4l have partaken of these... services? lol! ROTFL

The right to remain silent is a legal right recognised, explicitly or by convention, in many of the world's legal systems.
The right covers a number of issues centred around the right of the accused or the defendant to refuse to comment or provide an answer when questioned, either prior to or during legal proceedings in a court of law. This can be the right to avoid self-incrimination or the right to remain silent when questioned. The right usually includes the provision that adverse comments or inferences cannot be made by the judge or jury regarding the refusal by a defendant to answer questions before or during a trial, hearing or any other legal proceeding. This right constitutes only a small part of the defendant's rights as a whole.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 pm

kerrick wrote:
Ha!  What a punk.  For the record, I have NOT!

p.s. you have 666 posts...

My favorite maiden tune...

I love 80's Maiden..haven't really heard anything they have done since Dickinson came back (or during the replacement era)

And yes Ish....666 666 666 666 666 666 666 ..you naughty!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores   Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums that have been banned by Christian bookstores
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next