Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Names that will be forever gone in <20 years

Go down 
+9
alldatndensum
Just_Sue
unworthy
ishmael81
Staybrite
kerrick
Mac
messiaen77
Guilty/Forgiven
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9959
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Names that will be forever gone in <20 years Empty
PostSubject: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 7:19 pm

In the spirit of my previous post about phrases from the 20s 30s and 40s... please help me list names that will be all but memories within the next 20 years.

Such as:

Phyllis
Gladys
Gertrude
Walter
Herbert
Henry
Iris
Elmer
Alfred
Dolores
Virginia

Can you think of any names that are going to be or are already extinct from the 20s 30s and 40s ?
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Well...hopefully so.  But I have a feeling someone is going to revive some of them.
Back to top Go down
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Verna
Mabel
Matilda
Lois 
Hubert
Viola
Harriet
Back to top Go down
Mac

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 11:15 pm

I almost forgot Merdel!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 2:23 am

Is it Merdel or Myrtle ? I think those are two different names aren't they ?
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 2:35 am

messiaen77 wrote:
Well...hopefully so.  But I have a feeling someone is going to revive some of them.
Once the hipster generation starts spitting out kids... all the aforementioned names are going to get revived for sure!  It'd be so ironic and counter-culture and vintage!  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mac

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 am

I could be wrong but Myrtle is the spelling for the plant and Merdel is the spelling of the woman's name!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23449
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Mortimer
Artimus
Gomer
Phineas
Beatrice
Eileen
Lucy

Mrs Staybrite suggested
Bruce
Peter

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Yeh, without intending to offend, I believe names like Peter and penis will never again be considered by parents of the future for obvious reasons.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Yeh, without intending to offend, I believe names like Peter and penis will never again be considered by parents of the future for obvious reasons.
I knew a guy whose parents named him Penis.  He got made fun of a lot.  Razz 

Haha I'm hoping this is another case of autocorrect gone bad???
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Actually, cheese, my wife's grandmother is named Myrtle - I think it's interchangeable.

What about:
Ernest
Orville
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 3:42 pm

kerrick wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I knew a guy whose parents named him Penis.  He got made fun of a lot.  Razz 

Haha I'm hoping this is another case of autocorrect gone bad???
I'm guessing he meant for it to read "D i c k", but the forum's auto-censor stopped him.

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Haha that makes sense...  I hope we don't have any Richards on this forum who go by that name; that'd just be sad!  Your own name: inappropriate for a Christian forum!

Hmm... that just gave me an idea.  What if the moderators set a handful of commonly-used words to be auto-corrected to something silly?  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 5:08 pm

THAT was weird.... it actually changed a harmless NAME that people still living today have (albeit very old people)...

I'm offended by the word it changed an innocent man's name to ! This is preposterous !
If I were to post a statement about me and my grandpa D I c k going fishing, this insulting board would change my Grandfather's name to male genitalia !  I am so flabbergasted, I should faint !

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Back to the names...

Howabout "Blanche"
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
THAT was weird.... it actually changed a harmless NAME that people still living today have (albeit very old people)...

I'm offended by the word it changed an innocent man's name to ! This is preposterous !
If I were to post a statement about me and my grandpa D I c k going fishing, this insulting board would change my Grandfather's name to male genitalia !  I am so flabbergasted, I should faint !

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hey dude, watch your language!

Razz
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 5:43 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 pm

my wife didn't like my son's middle name being Richard because, evidently, d i c k is a common nickname. I still haven't figured out why.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 1:05 pm

My stepfather's name is Richard and he goes by Rick (and pretty much always has). For some reason a less than intelligent truck salesman insisted on calling him D i c k once......once.

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 1:17 pm

my dad's name is Richard and has always gone by Rich .. so I never knew about the apparent d i c k nickname until my wife heard I wanted to give it to my son as a middle name in honor of my father..
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Just_Sue

Just_Sue

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 3:25 pm

unworthy wrote:
my wife didn't like my son's middle name being Richard because, evidently, d i c k is a common nickname. I still haven't figured out why.
My mama's older brother is named Richard and to me and my brothers he's always been 'Uncle D i c k.' That's just the short form my grandparents chose.
My mama is 'Patsy' and I havent heard that one in a very long time. Her middle name is even less common... Rowena.

Oddly enough, while I hear my first name fairly often [Rebecca], I did a check recently and my middle name [and the one I go by], Susan, apparently started losing steam in the 80's, so while there may be variations, just Susan might be on the way out.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 3:48 pm

I knew a Rowena through working in pharmacy. I think that name definitely makes this list.

My brother's name is Richard and has always gone by Rick. If the other name was even hinted at, he'd probably help the person swallow some of their teeth.

But in the 30s thru the 50s there were many men named D i c k as their primary name, since it didn't mean anything else but their name back then.
It's like "Gay", we have a patient named Gay. That name dropped in popularity through the 80s,90s, 2000s.... but I believe will probably make a huge comeback with the "open-mindedness" going on all around us.

(not too many Tim McGraw fans here but that song applies here:
"Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a Coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said, "I'm down with that"
Well, it meant you had the flu" )
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Every time I hear the name Rowena I think of Park Overall's character from the movie "Biloxi Blues"

Just_Sue

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Every time I hear the name Rowena I think of Park Overall's character from the movie "Biloxi Blues"
Yup.
Mama was named 'Rowena' after her daddy's oldest sister. Her first name, Patsy, came from the family dog. They had a red haired Chow named Patsy and Mama was born with a swath of red hair [which she kept all her life, though now, with age, it's a 'strawberry blonde']. Her parents, brothers and sisters all had black hair and dark brown eyes. Mama was fair, freckled, redheaded and had glass-green eyes. She was definitely the oddball, but her paternal grandma was a fair, green-eyed, redheaded Irish immigrant named Susanna [no... I wasnt named after her. I was named after my mama's favorite childhood doll].
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Very cool! I kind of wish I had been named after something cool like a doll or the family dog. All of my names are hand-me-downs (father, uncle, grandfather)

PostSubject: Re: Names that will be forever gone in <20 years   Names that will be forever gone in <20 years I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Names that will be forever gone in <20 years
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next