For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Prayer for My Son

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18073
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Prayer for My Son   Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:24 pm

I could use a little prayer for my youngest boy (he is 13). He is starting public school today for the first time in 7 years (he was home-schooled all that time).
He is a little nervous about the whole thing (as am I and his mother). Normally we wouldn't worry too much about our kids in public school (his brother and sister were also home schooled but took several classes at the High School). We are mostly worried because he is small for his age, impressionable, and hasn't been as exposed to sex and drugs on quite the level as the kids he is starting school with. He also has a mild form of Tourette syndrome, along with a learning disability.

Number of posts : 8866
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:18 pm

He'll do great bro. Public school has it's ups and downs, and I'm sure he will have more ups than downs.
Prayin' for him ! 
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Definately praying here.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Dang, I'm praying.
Back to top Go down
LRW

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:11 pm

I understand a little of what you're going through. We homeschooled my oldest son 14, through some rough years in middle school. He matured a lot through that time, so when he thought it might be time to go back as a freshman in public high school, I was cautious but not terrified. I have to say, I'm really impressed with his poise this year. He is really taking everything in stride, and is keeping up with his studies on his own. He laughs at the fact that Fridays at his high school are notoriously known as ' kick a freshman day ', LOL. We all have to take our lumps at some point in time, and it can be really rough, but it's not hopeless. I hope this encourages you a little bit, and I'll pray for both your son and your family.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14574
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 am

I keep your son in prayer Gary.
God goes with him to school and will help him and protect him.

Last edited by rockerVu2 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement.  He had a few minor problems yesterday, and I'm more than a little peeved that they put him in a pre-Algebra class.  But all-in-all his day went pretty well and he is excited about going back again.  He's not too happy about having to do homework after dinner each day though (quite a change from homeschooling where you get all of your work done in the morning/early afternoon).
I'm also really ticked that nobody explained the lunch system to him.  He cannot have dairy (at all) when he went through the lunch line they debited his account,  but by the time he got to the food selections all the spaghetti was gone and all that was left was mac-n cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches.  Nobody told him there was a sandwich bar on the other side that he could have had a sandwich made...so he didn't eat anything for lunch (grrrrr) Mad

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:34 am

LRW wrote:
I understand a little of what you're going through. We homeschooled my oldest son 14, through some rough years in middle school. He matured a lot through that time, so when he thought it might be time to go back as a freshman in public high school, I was cautious but not terrified. I have to say, I'm really impressed with his poise this year. He is really taking everything in stride, and is keeping up with his studies on his own. He laughs at the fact that Fridays at his high school are notoriously known as ' kick a freshman day ', LOL. We all have to take our lumps at some point in time, and it can be really rough, but it's not hopeless. I hope this encourages you a little bit, and I'll pray for both your son and your family.
My daughter and oldest son where quite similar.  Took my oldest boy out of public school in 4th grade.  He was very intelligent but has ADHD and the school was failing to meet his needs, and were failing him in 3 of his classes.  We took him out, and modified his educational plan and he did fantastic.  Once he hit 9th grade we modified his homeschooling so that he could take 3 classes at home and 3 at the High School.  He loves it, and is completely self taught now (he started 10th grade this year).  My daughter did pretty much exactly the same thing (only we first took her out in 6th grade).  She hated middle-school and all the terrible social aspects, and it was seriously affecting her grades.  She is 20 now and is working nearly full time, and taking college classes as well.

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Awesome! It's actually really encouraging to hear that you've had some success with this as well Staybrite. As a parent it's hard to know what to do sometimes, you want to protect them as much as you can, but at the same time you know that some things you just have to place in God's hands!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:28 pm

LRW wrote:
Awesome! It's actually really encouraging to hear that you've had some success with this as well Staybrite. As a parent it's hard to know what to do sometimes, you want to protect them as much as you can, but at the same time you know that some things you just have to place in God's hands!
Indeed!

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:41 pm

with my daughter pretty much everything is in God's hand because she lives with her mother.

why no pre-algebra?

my wife is extremely and sternly opposed to any kind of home schooling.. personally I think it's great and would love to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:05 pm

unworthy wrote:

why no pre-algebra?
His retention abilities are horrendous. I have been teaching him basic fraction functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication etc.) for about 9 months now, and he just can't retain much of any of it (especially factoring and mixed numbers). Pre-Algebra assumes you have already mastered basic mathematics including fractions, decimals and even some rudimentary geometry (rectangular perimeters and areas etc.). Sadly he has not mastered much beyond addition/subtraction, multiplication/division of whole numbers.

unworthy wrote:

my wife is extremely and sternly opposed to any kind of home schooling.. personally I think it's great and would love to do it.
It is great, and I applaud any families who do it. Many people think that it is much harder than it usually is. When my wife and I first started home schooling our kids 7 years ago we feared that we would not be able to handle it. But we did just fine (well at least with two of our kids).Smile 

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for My Son   

Back to top Go down

Prayer for My Son
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1