For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I want to start a food ministry

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: I want to start a food ministry   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Many of you who know me know that cooking is one of my passions in life. I love to create creative and delicious meals. Last night I had the opportunity to cook some chicken and ribs for my son's best friend's family.

Some background is in order. The husband went in for surgery a year and a half ago. Due to doctor error in removing a tumor he is now paralyzed from the waist down with limited use of his hands. He is bound to a wheelchair and needs a hoyer lift to get him in and out of the chair. Before this surgery he was a perfectly healthy man. His wife quit her job to take care of him full time. They are now in the Medicaid system and they don't qualify for much assistance from food stamps. I would love to invite them to come to church but its impossible for them to come because the public wheel chair transport service aka LiftLine has limited routes on Sundays. Rob and I were discussing this whole dilemma coming home from grocery shopping and he said to me, "We have to be The Church to them"

We were invited to come for dinner last night. Rob and I cooked the entire meal. I made BBQ chicken, ribs and we also cooked up some fresh zucchini along with some homefries; which Rob cooked up on their grill. We did not want them to lift a finger at all. Between our family and theirs they're were 9 people. The best part was there were a lot of left overs which we left for them. We all had a great time last night just hanging out. We didn't talk about God or church or anything like that but God's hand was totally in this. As I was putting the left overs in their fridge I wanted to cry when I saw how empty it was. They are a family of 4. It really made me feel convicted when I take for granted my fully stocked fridge. They really enjoyed the dinner especially Rob's potatoes. It was a total privilege to show them God's love by using the gift that God has given me. I really want to do more to help them out. We don't have a whole lot of extra money but I want to take them shopping for food and whatever else they need.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18236
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I want to start a food ministry   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Very cool!

Admin

Number of posts : 18184
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: I want to start a food ministry   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:16 pm

It may not be that God is wanting you to "start a ministry" is it might be Him wanting you to specifically care for this family.  God works by showing us what He is trying to accomplish and then inviting us to join Him in that work.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14685
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: I want to start a food ministry   Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 am

My thought is that God will show you what His plan is in the "food ministry".
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 2960
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I want to start a food ministry   Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:27 pm

I would suggest to continue to be The Church to this family.  Possibly talk with the church leadership to see if there could be a food drive to assist them.  I would first ask the family's permission to do so before proceding with it.
Back to top Go down
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: I want to start a food ministry   Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:06 pm

We are gonna do something for them thru our small group at church
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 2960
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I want to start a food ministry   Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Good idea.