Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So I finally bought a new computer...

Go down 
+5
alldatndensum
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
rockerVu2
Dynamis
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

So I finally bought a new computer... Empty
PostSubject: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 10:26 pm

The old Windows XP computer I purchased back in 2005 is literally on its last leg (it has been dying a slow death since late this past winter).  So I upgraded to a new HP unit with all the bells and whistles:

Windows 7 Professional 64

• • 2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 dual-core processor [3.4GHz, 3MB Shared Cache]

• • Integrated Intel HD Graphics [DVI-D, DX 10.1]

• • 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]

• • 500GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive

I had to special order the compute online since I am going with a Windows 7 unit (I refuse to go anywhere near Windows 8!).  I chose W7 Professional because it has XP Compatibility Mode (my biggest fear is not getting Dreamweaver 8 to run on a new machine- because if I cannot then I am totally screwed).

Also, went with as much memory as possible (8 GB) since the old XP unit (with 'just' 2 GB of memory) could at times bog down when running multiple programs (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, multiple open windows, etc).

The new computer is not scheduled to be delivered until sometime the first week of October.  Let's hope the old computer somehow manages to last until the new one arrives...

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Prayer Request section, but please pray that everything works with the new computer and that an overall smooth transition is made (and if everything does not work as hoped I would keep a level head and think and pray things through in the process).
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:05 am

That's good news Andy.
Hope the new computer come a bit earlier.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:57 am

Good choice. Keep us updated on it's strengths and weaknesses for those of us looking for a new PC too.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

Great news! Hoping the old beast can hold on until the new computer arrives.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23468
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 5:51 pm

My laptop runs Windows 7 as well.  I need to upgrade the RAM so that I can learn how to use the computer for recording music.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 pm

I just upgraded to a TRS80. Beat that !
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks everyone.  I do have some good news.  When I ordered the computer yesterday, it was not scheduled to ship until Friday (and then take between 5-7 days to arrive).  However, upon arriving home from work I received an e-mail advising that the computer has already shipped and it is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.  So all in all I am feeling both excited and a little apprehensive at the same time...
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 am

Good to know that it'll arrive a little sooner than expected.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 pm

I just scored a used laptop (i5, 8 GB, 500 GB) with Win 7 64-bit and Office 2013 Pro for just $200. What a Face

Gotta love deals like that!

sabidoo

sabidoo

Number of posts : 2069

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I just upgraded to a TRS80. Beat that !
Actually, a TRS-80 model MC10 was my first ever computer.  2K of ram.  Data storage was a cassette tape recorder, and my 'monitor' was a 25" console tv.

I loved that machine...

So I finally bought a new computer... Mc-10
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 pm

^ Yup. My best friend's parents dished out a few grand for one of those. We were geeky kids with huge instruction books on how to type in 5 pages of code in dos, then, about 4 hours later hit "enter" only to watch a block choo choo train go across the screen real slow... we'd scream out "WE MADE THAT !!!!"

- early days of PCs were really pathetic.

Things relied on these tape recorders:

So I finally bought a new computer... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlKoeH46TpcbgVC6lk6cIWnccxDYy_wN6jPdHwr0j6egXLwz19
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Ah yes, I remember the tape recorder computer.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Ok, fess up, how many of you 40 something guys used to put a blank tape in there and record your own farts ? Come on ! Confession time ! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 2:27 pm

So I finally bought a new computer... Commodore_16I used to have one of these!  It was the famous Commodore 64 but with 1/4 of the spec!  It was small, ineffectual and pretty much ignored by everyone.  But I loved it!  (until I bought an Atari ST!)
So I finally bought a new computer... 800px-Commodore_16_002a
So I finally bought a new computer... Commodore_16

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 11:31 pm

Just want everyone to know the transition to the new computer went surprisingly smooth.  Got all my files from the old computer transferred and most of the necessary applications installed and running as they should (Photoshop Elements, Office 2003 and Dreamweaver Cool.  Dreamweaver I was most concerned about in that I had read many online horror stories about DW8 not working on Windows 7, but it installed just fine (I even did a 'mini' update - of the Release Dates page - and everything worked fine: DW did not crash at all).  I did not even have to download 'XP Mode' (things are running just fine in W7).

All in all, a big sigh of relief in that going forward things look to be going smoothly.  The only application that would not install was the software for the old scanner I bought back in 2005.  No big deal really in that I hardly scan anymore (you can find a quality image online of just about any album cover you are looking for).  So if all goes smoothly we are looking at a possible update this weekend (review is Wayne Johnson's solo release 'North of Nowhere').
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 8:53 am

That's great news Andy all stuff from your old computer is on the new computer now.

I hope everything goes smoothly.
Curious to read your review of "North Of Nowhere".
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Great news Andy, happy to see you are up and running again!

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

Things relied on these tape recorders:

So I finally bought a new computer... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlKoeH46TpcbgVC6lk6cIWnccxDYy_wN6jPdHwr0j6egXLwz19
I still have one of those old shoe-box recorders.  And it would work too if my son hadn't lost the power cord.

PostSubject: Re: So I finally bought a new computer...   So I finally bought a new computer... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I finally bought a new computer...
Page 1 of 1