Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Albums that had to grow on you

Go down 
+4
Redeemed Fool
Staybrite
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
8 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23475
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Albums that had to grow on you Empty
PostSubject: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 am

Have you ever bought a CD or download that you just didn't like at first but they grew on you with time?  What are some of yours?

Randy Rose - Sacrificium   When it came out, I was expecting something a bit more like MATW, but this was just rough and dark sounding.  After the first Rose album came out, I pulled this out and liked it.

Saint - Too Late For Living/Time's End   I just couldn't get into these guys at first.  I don't know if it was the end times prophecy lyrics or the Judas Priest ripoff sound.  I just didn't care for them until after I heard "In The Battle".  I still like their newer catalog better, though.

Kutless - Believer   I bought this expecting another rock album, but it just isn't there.  Oh, there are still some high energy songs, but this isn't the same band that released their self-titled debut, is it?  Well, actually it isn't.  The only original member left is the singer.  Kutless started off as a church praise & worship band and morphed into a rock band before getting signed.  Kutless now calls themselves a rock/worship band, and this album makes a lot more sense with that in mind.  It FEELS more like their two worship albums "Strong Tower" and "It Is Well".  With time, I have learned to like it when comparing it to those two projects that I love.  I expect the new album that releases in February to be more like this with the two singles they have released thus far.  I certainly can't blame them for changing their sound as their previous worship projects have outsold everything else they've done combined.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3120
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Deliverance and VR. Never really cared for them, just not my style. I have the VR reissues but rarely play them but have grown to appreciate them. Same with Deliverance, just not really into them but I enjoy some songs and have the What A Joke reissue and the new album (already forgot the name of it!). The new release is pretty good but way too short on songs.

Last edited by MikeInFla on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:26 pm

This doesn't happen to me too often.  It took me a couple of listens to get into the early Rez catalog, but with most music if I don't like it on the 1st or 2nd listen I'm not likely to like it on the 20th either.

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Doesn't happen much now as, like SB, I listen first. In the old days though it happened more when I had to risk without listening. Silence is Madness was one that at first I was like, meh, but after more listens I really liked it.
Someone bought me Jesus Freak and I laughed, I don't like rap but it isn't much in the way of rap and I came to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:42 am

Bride, I have to listen many many times to Bride before I finally loved their music.

Disciple is a band I've listend to many time and did not like them.
After seeing the band playing live I really liked them.

Saint is a band It took a long time before I liked them.
I love "In The Battle" and "Desperate Night".
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3875

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Staybrite wrote:
This doesn't happen to me too often.  It took me a couple of listens to get into the early Rez catalog, but with most music if I don't like it on the 1st or 2nd listen I'm not likely to like it on the 20th either.
+1 Sometimes I'll give those everyone seems to rave about 10 or so listens just to see what I'm missing, but I don't think I've ever found it.  geek

Edit: I take that back. I recall getting Ride the Lightning in 1986 and it took me a while to get into it (my first taste of thrash) but then I quickly became a Metallica fan (until they started going downhill).

Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 12:29 pm

The early Veni Domine albums for me.  When I first heard them, I just didn't care for the vocals.  But they slowly back more pleasing over time.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9957
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Same here. Rez band. My best friend in the early 90s loved them, so I listened with him, but couldn't get into them... now I dig them.

VR, Ultimatum, Morti style singing took me a while to swallow, but once I did I kind of like the taste.

What still hasn't grown on me are the real extreme styles of singing.... I'll still listen to a song or 2, but just don't care for it still.

(When Metallica came out, it was love at first listen ! I stood in awe staring at my tape player while listening to Seek and Destroy on a compilation my friend made for me - that sound would become my favorite style of metal ever - thank God in heaven for copycat bands that sing for Him but play like Metalideth)
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3875

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
thank God in heaven for copycat bands that sing for Him but play like Metalideth)
LOL. OK, other than Boarders and Eternal Decision, who do you think fits in this category? Some Tourniquet could.

Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9957
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Boarders, Eternal Decision, Jesus Freaks, Heaven's Rage, Preacher, Sons of Thunder, Wrench, (not to mention the last 5 actual Megadeth albums  Very Happy  )

Lots of similarities to Metalideth:
Step Cousin, Thresher, Axehead, Inc., Betrayer, Deliverance, Detritus, Endless Funeral, Exalted Dirt, Valor, Haven, Knight Riot, Lordchain, Overdrive, Redemption, Seventh Avenue, The Showdown, Titanic, Torn, Tourniquet, Temple of Blood, Under Command, Wayne Johnson...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums that had to grow on you   Albums that had to grow on you I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums that had to grow on you
Page 1 of 1