Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?

Go down 
+4
Xid
Redeemed Fool
Staybrite
Driven
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? Empty
PostSubject: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 5:39 pm

What are your favourite 10 Christian rock/metal albums of all? And, for bonus points, why are they your favourites?

Mine won't be in order, but here goes…

1. Mastedon - It's A Jungle Out There!: I've praised this album enough already, but it's a fantastic piece of work. It's got a pop/CCM influence, but the songwriting is excellent, and so is the instrumentation. I love this album, period. I'm probably going to wear out the tape before too long. Smile
2. Deliverance - Deliverance: Killer speed/thrash metal. Superb production, with crunchy guitars and aggressive bass and pounding drums. Great riffs too. Heavy lyrics too.
3. Armageddon - The Money Mask: "More Than Conquerors" alone deserves an award. Much like Deliverance, it's got a good thrash production (although it's American power metal, really). Many excellent songs. Sadly, I've overplayed this one and don't listen to it much anymore.
4. Saint - Time's End: '80s metal. Very good sound quality, awesome riffs and vocals and lyrics. Not much more to be said about it, except that it holds up very well. A must have.
5. Goliath - The Gate: For when you want to be crushed under walls of sludgy doom with gruff vocals. I don't think there are too many Christian metal bands with this sound. I have to be in the mood for it, but when I am, duuuuuude does it work!
6. Rev Seven - The Unveiling and Hell And Back (which I sort of consider as one album): The original version of this album has a far different sound from the re-recordings. The sound is somewhat thin, but I love the riffs and Bill's Ozzy-like vocals. Very neat if you can find a tape copy of it.
7. The Seventh Power - Dominion And Power: Somewhat stronger than the first Seventh Power album, with awesome sonics and great songwriting. Clever lyrics, too, and I actually sort of like the vocals. The title track is a masterpiece.
8. Menchen - Red Rock: I promise, this is the last Bill Menchen album Laughing. Bill was definitely at his peak when he wrote this and D&P. Absolutely fantastic bass work, too (this album is the one that got me into playing bass, actually).
9. Barnabas - Approaching Light Speed and Feel The Fire (again, I consider these as one album): Some of the best in progressive Christian rock. Analog synthesizers, odd time signatures, screaming vocals (Njo is one of a kind) with very well written lyrics, the works. These guys are like Rush.
10. ApologetiX - Wise Up And Rock: Because who doesn't love '80s hits, particularly when they're written with great Christian lyrics? I've had to force myself to not listen to this one before bed, for fear of the songs becoming stuck in my head and preventing me from falling asleep. Very strong performance from the band, too.

Runners up were:
Rex Carroll Band - That Was Then, This Is Now: Good blues rock, but I have to be in the mood for it, and the production seems a little weak to me.
Stryken - First Strike: They had the potential to make this far, far, far, far better than it turned out, I'm certain. The songs are very good, but the production is certainly lacking.
X-Sinner - Fire It Up: Rock'n'roll, baby! Sadly, I can't actually rate this, since I don't have it, but I've heard some songs from it and they sound killer!
Daniel Band - On Rock: Somewhat important album in the history of Christian music. Although the sonics are a bit weak, the songwriting is overall really good with very bold lyrics. I've overplayed it, though, and there are better albums, IMO, but I very nearly included it.
Fear Not - Fear Not: Groovy metal, slightly similar to early '90s Bride. Were it not for the fact that there are albums I prefer to it, it would've made it.

So that's that. Give 'er!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Great thread, let's try and keep the list to Christian rock/metal artists folks (to keep within the intent of the forum guidelines).

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Pathogenic Occular Dissonance-Tourniquet As good as and better then most secular thrash with some intenst lyrics. Theodicy on Trial anyone?
Atomic Arena-Barren Cross   Because, they rock and rock very hard.
Theocracy-Mirror of Souls  Superb songwriting, high quality music, what all christian music should strive to be in artistic representation.
Pillars of Humanity-The Crucified  Because Mark Saloman is a genius lyric writer and the christian hardcore scene needed something that wasn't gimmicky.
Your Dying Day-Haven  Can't think of anything. Because his voice warbles at times?
Intense Defense-Joshua  I'd hold this up to any melodic metal album.
Messiah Prophet Band-Captured the NWOBHM sound superbly here.
Red Sea-Blood  I'm a sucker for blues in my rock and oh man, that voice.
Rez Band-Innocent Blood  Something about blues in my rock.
Saint-Hell Blade  Could almost pick any of their albums but I listen to this one most.

Honorables:
Deliverance-Stay of Exectuion and Weapons
77's Self Titled
Crystavox Both

There's a lot of others I could include.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 11:13 pm

In no particular order:

1. Rage of Angels, Rage of Angels - Great guitar work, production and just all around butt kickin' rock.

2. Detonation, Bloodgood - This album solidified Bloodgood as part of the brotherhood. Not a bad song on the whole album.

3. Walkin' In Faith, Angelica - Excellent guitar work, prominent bass lines, vocalist has a very high voice but fits the music.

4. Epic Tales of Whoa!, Tony Palacios - I love instrumentals and Tony ranks right up there with the greats!

5. Fire and Love, Guardian - When metal went bluesy, Guardian showed everyone how it's done.  Great album!

6. Snakes in the Playground, Bride - This album won me back over to Bride.  The vocals on Show No Mercy were annoying so I didn't bother with them until Snakes.  Great riffs, lyrics and style.

7. Atomic Arena, Barren Cross - Rock for the King was good, Arena is great!  Excellent riffage!

8. Time's End, Saint - This is one of those albums that has just stuck with me.  When I play it and reach the end I want to play it again.  The lyrics paint cool pictures and I can see the events unfolding.  Good driving music, too!

9. Fear Not, Fear Not - The vocalist has the raw edge to is voice that I like.  Couple that with groovin' riffs and you have a recipe for coolness.

10. Soak Your Brain, Lovewar - This album just grooves.  Good style groovin' that's fun to listen to and I'm sure would be fun to play.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 1:14 am

Great picks guys.  I gotta say this was a hard list to come up with (and as always subject to change) but here are my favorites (in no particular order).

1. Red Sea - Blood: With the exception of one brief song on this album there isn't a throwaway track on it.  Robin Kyle is amazing on the mic and the rest of band just blisters through this blues drenched hard rock album.
2. PK Mitchell - All Hail The Power (the first one):  This was one of the first Christian metal albums I ever owned and I was completely bowled over by the 80's hard rock and metal treatment given to these classic Hymns.
3. Sacred Warrior - Obsessions: Reminding me heavily of one of my favorite metal bands (Queensryche) but still retaining enough of their own identity to not sound like a clone, I really dig their sound and style.
4. Guardian - Fire & Love: Totally slick and full of hooks galore what isn't to love about this album.  Hands down my favorite from the band.
5. Saint - In The Battle:  I could have easily picked just about any album from this band as I love pretty much all of their discs.  This was the first one I owned and it holds a special place in my heart.
6. Barren Cross - State of Control: A little slicker than their previous effort and a bit more mature musically.  Just enough gloss, but still a little bit of grit keeps me reaching for this almost every time I want to hear a little BC.
7. Rose - Healing:  A little alternative and whole lotta doom drenched riffage mixed with lamenting vocals make this a must have in my book.  This was certainly the height of Randy's creative effort.
8. Place of Skulls - Love Through Blood:  A few songs that Victor was urged by his record company to leave off his earlier records combined with a fantastic cover the Third Day classic "Consuming Fire" make this little EP the best thing Victor has ever produced.  Not a dud song in the bunch.
9. Rob Rock - Rage of Creation:  Practically the perfect voice for melodic metal.  This was the first Rob Rock album I ever got and it still holds a special place in my heart.  I could listen to it every day and not grow tired of it.
10. Broken Silence - Discerning The Times:  I have no idea who this band is, but they have created one of the best melodic metal albums I have ever heard, great vocals, great guitars, great hooks, whats not to love!

Honorable mentions:
Die Happy Volume II - Another great effort featuring the fantastic vocals of Robin Kyle, it should have been on my list
Liberty N Justice - Independence Day: Fantastic melodic hard rock record just brimming with fantastic tunes.
Day of Fire - Day of Fire:  Hands down my favorite effort from a modern rock band.  So very bummed they called it quits.
Mission of One - Mission of One:  Chris was firing on all 6 cylinders with this one.  So many great songs here.  I usually only grab on to 2 or 3 favorite songs on an album but with this one I had 5 (Surrender, Man Overboard, Are You Listening, The End, I Fall Down) an almost unheard of number for most any album with me.  And the bonus is that the follow-up album "Hostile to the Gospel" was just as good.

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Ooh this is a tough one!  Great thread.  Mine's subject to change quite a bit with my mood (especially their order), but these are some of mine that I've continued to keep coming back to.

1. Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte - So beautiful, tragic, and emotionally hard-hitting.  I never tire of this album.

2. My Silent Wake - Shadow Of Sorrow - Not a "Christian band" [anymore], but this album the lyrics read like the Psalms so I'll include it.  Fabulous album from start to end
3. Place Of Skulls - Love Through Blood - What Staybrite said  afro 

4. Paramaecium - Within The Ancient Forest - Doom/death at its finest!

5. Theocracy - Mirror Of Souls - I don't listen to much power metal these days, but this album I just never tire of!

6. Aletheian - Dying Vine - My first Christian metal album so it'll always have a special place in my heart.   I love you   Brutal, melodic, and some of my favorite lyrics!

7. Place Of Skulls - As A Dog Returns - my intro to Place Of Skulls, super solid album

8. Vials Of Wrath - Seeking Refuge - Melodic and thought-provoking black metal with heart and great lyrics!

9. Visionaire - Within The Arcanum Hall - Relaxing, intelligent, and thoughtful gothic metal

10. Forsaken - Dominaeon - epic DOOOOOOOM!
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm going to read others lists and go: oh man, how'd I leave that off?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 11:09 am

Okay, I'm going to take a lot of liberty with what we define as "rock" with my list but hey, it's mine so you can deal with it Smile

In no particular order:

1. Five Iron Frenzy – Our Newest Album Ever!
This album has  what is probably my favorite song ever - Every New Day. Anything in the FIF repertoire is good to me (frankly if Reese Roper wrote it, I’ll probably like it).

2. 3 way tie - Brave Saint Saturn – So Far From Home, The Light of Things Hoped For and Anti-Meridian
You simply cannot listen to one part of this amazing concept trilogy without the other two. A beautiful piece of art that rocks too.

3. Theocracy – Mirror of Souls
My favorite metal album ever.

4. Stryper – No More Hell to Pay
I didn’t like this at first. But it’s grown on me. A lot.

5. Stryper – To Hell With the Devil
The first metal album I ever owned. One day, I’ll get a copy again…

6. Johnny Cash – Anything on the American Label
I know, I know. Technically not rock and not even close to metal. But early Johnny Cash helped define rock and roll as much as Elvis (some would say more so). His tenure at American Recordings produced 6 albums, two of which were released after his death and a massive box set of outtakes. I’ve yet to find a song in all of it that I don’t like. And while some of the songs are about trains or farming or whatever, Johnny Cash was a Christian so it ocunts.

7. OC Supertones – Chase the Sun
This band is a favorite. Reggae, rock and ska with worshipful lyrics. This is my choice right now, but if you asked tomorrow, it could be any one of their others.

8. two way tie - Jars of Clay – Who We Are Instead and Jars of Clay – The Long Fall Back to Earth
A band I’ve been a fan of since 1999. They are genre bending so you never know what the next disc is going to be. WWAI is folk rock with a terrific cover of Julie Miller’s All My Tears and TLFBTE is synth laden rock, bringing back arena rock of the 80’s.

9. Theocracy – As the World Bleeds
Another metal masterpiece. Hopefully I’ll get a copy again soon.

10. Slick Shoes – Burn Out
Punk rock with a metal influence

Runners up:

two way tie - Wish For Eden – Pet the Fish and Rob Walker – Strobe
When Wish for Eden disbanded, Rob Walker put out this solo record. Since he wrote the songs and played the guitar for both projects, they sound the same. I know lots of people think this hasn’t held up that well but they both rock my socks.

The Undecided – Sefl titled and More to See, Twotimer – See What Happens From Here
New school punk that I grew up on. Still love it.
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 11:15 am

I support you picking Cash.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 11:25 am

Glad to hear it. My wife says she doesn't like him because he's a punk/metalhead that played country. I told her that may be why I love his music so much.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Definitely not in any order:

Saint - Time's End  This really defines the 80's metal sound for me.
Stryper - To Hell With The Devil  Fantastic songs and musicianship.  Plus ya gotta love a Christian album with controversial covers Wink
Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice  One of the finest thrash/extreme albums
Place of Skulls - Love Through Blood  What everyone has about this album who picked it is true.  A classic
Nomad Son - The Darkening  Speed DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM at its finest
Sacred Warrior - Rebellion  Our first introduction to Rey and the boys.  Solid music.  Black Metal is a great tune.
Sacrament - Haunts of Violence  Stinkin' heavy and fast.
Feast Eternal - With Fire  Just a brutal album that doesn't let up.
Bloodgood - Detonation  While their first album is great, they just kicked into high gear with this one.
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth  Morty's greatest release
Back to top Go down
Acurus_

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:10 pm

My first posting  Wink :

1. Steel Prophet - Inner Ascendance (it is White Metal in my opinion)
2. Veni Domine - Material Sanctuary
3. Veni Domine - Fall Babylon Fall
4. Saviour Machine - Legend Part III:I
5. Recon - Behind Enemy Lines
6. Sacred Warrior - Wicked Generation
7. Sanctum - Believers
8. Soldier - The Definitive Collection 1985-1989
9. Faith Factor - Against A Darkened Sky
10. Griftegård - Solemn - Sacred - Severe
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Welcome to the board Acurus.

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks! I love White Metal! And I hope, european catholics are accepted here  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 pm

We don't tend to push people away over denominations/doctrinal issues here. And we already have a few Europeans, so you should fit right in.  Thumbs Up 

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks. I hoped and thought this, before I registered myself. My question was not meant 100 % seriously. The biggest problem could be, that english is not my native language ...
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Welcome, Acurus_. We don't usually talk about doctrine much here, so don't worry about being Catholic. I think/hope you'll find this to be a great board. Smile

Where in Europe are you from?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Acurus_ wrote:
Thanks. I hoped and thought this, before I registered myself. My question was not meant 100 % seriously. The biggest problem could be, that english is not my native language ...

Well your English seems quite understandable to me.  Thumbs Up 

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 7:47 pm

You're better then Driven already. He is a Canuck and says hoser all the time.
Back to top Go down
Acurus_

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 12:55 am

Thanks again!

@Driven:  I am from Germany.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 9:38 am

I do say "hoser" a lot, like "The car's pretty muddy. Hoser down." Razz

@Acurus_: then Willkommen! (That's about as much German as I know. I hope to learn German someday. Smile )
Back to top Go down
Acurus_

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 12:38 pm

kerrick wrote:

1. Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte - So beautiful, tragic, and emotionally hard-hitting.  I never tire of this album.

Wow! That one is so different to anything I know. By happenstance I stumbled over this australian masterpice some weeks ago. From the first second on I loved it.

You cannot compare it directly, but you should try Griftegard.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Right on! Yeah that Virgin Black album is FANTASTIC. All their music is great, though that's my favorite. Definitely check out their other material. Each album is very different from the others.

I've heard of Griftegard though haven't looked into them too much. Are they Christian? Their lyrics are definitely very spiritual though some of it strikes me as a bit odd. I'll have to look into them more. Any particular song you think would be a good one to sample?
Back to top Go down
Acurus_

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 1:10 pm

After listening to this Virgin Black album I looked out for all the others Smile  So I knew them all, now. There shall be another one, which has never been released. It has classical instruments, only.

In Europe we call Griftegard a Christian band, but more a light one. They have only one album and some singles out. On the album is no weak song. Try this one:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?   Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Christian rock/metal albums?
Page 1 of 1