For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Personal Faith Builders...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fundy

Number of posts : 3746
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Personal Faith Builders...   Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:14 am

I'm going to list a few things that have really lifted my faith over the years.  It would be great to read what others have had aswell.

1 - Ken Ham.  Listened to him in 1996 and was blown away by how he spoke and how the Bible began to make so much sense.
2 - Kent Hovind.  Yes, he's in prison, but that doesn't take anything away from a man who doesn't pull any punches when it comes to being bold for Chirst.
3 - Bill Coopers books.  Man, what a great read.  I had a few doubts about the Bible as a history book.  Not any more!  Great reading about the authenticity of Genesis and tracing Japheth to ancient Europeans using actual records.
4 - John Sanford.  He did a DVD on declining genes.  That was eye opening for sure!  The decay graph that is a scientific fact is exactly the same as the supposed random ages of man after the flood.

I realise they're all creation type guys, but it's really been a joy to watch or read their input.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3365
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:23 am

NT Wright has been a big one for me. He also views Christianity with a historical and cultural understanding. Plus he's British so he's fun to listen to.

Another big one is John Eldrege. Just... wow.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:56 am

I'm with Fundy regarding Kent Hovind he does have some great teaching (assuming you can handle his dry humor and King James onlyism), but he's got some stuff I'm not sure I completely buy.  I've also hear or read some great stuff from Ken Ham, Ravi Zacarius (sp?), John Macarthur, John Piper and even Ray Comfort.

Number of posts : 3746
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:51 am

Staybrite wrote:
Ravi Zacarius (sp?), John Macarthur, John Piper and even Ray Comfort.

They've all played a part in my life to some degree.  Heard JM in 1997 and 1999.  Heard JP in 1998.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18177
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:11 am

I need to check out some Ken Ham.  Some writers who have inspired me are Craig Groeshel and John Eldridge.  I read everything they put out.  Of course, they are not quite as theologically deep, either.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Number of posts : 5641
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:25 pm

C.S. Lewis is a fantastic author. Although his books are written from his own perspective, he has a gift for analogies and explaining things well. I have a French study Bible with notes from John MacArthur, which I haven't cracked open yet.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:49 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I need to check out some Ken Ham.  Some writers who have inspired me are Craig Groeshel and John Eldridge.  I read everything they put out.  Of course, they are not quite as theologically deep, either.

I've never heard of Groeshel, but I think I might have seen Eldridge speak at a Promise Keepers conference.  I know he wrote the "Wild At Heart" book that I have heard several people speak highly of, but I haven't had the opportunity to read it yet.

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Driven wrote:
C.S. Lewis is a fantastic author. Although his books are written from his own perspective, he has a gift for analogies and explaining things well. I have a French study Bible with notes from John MacArthur, which I haven't cracked open yet.

Lewis is a fantastic Christian writer.

Number of posts : 8921
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:54 am

I dig Lewis. Also listened to, and read a lot by Walter Martin, Norm Geisler, James White, JI Packer, RC Sproul.
We spend a lot of time in the writings of D.A. Carson, Beale(The New International Greek Testament Commentary), Kostenberger(Baker Exegetical Commentary), Leon Morris, and of course the Systematics especially Wayne Grudem's.
Before marriage, kids and pain, I use to spend all my time in study. Now we have a home Bible study led by a retired LAPD who has money for the big books  Smile  and time to study - He puts together some outstanding research for our Bible studies. He uses hundreds of authors on different subjects to come to balanced understandings of Biblical teachings.... I'd love to retire and just study like he does. Maybe someday.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3365
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:13 am

The thing with CS Lewis is that you have to be aware that most of his theological works are him actually working through what he believes and not actually what he thinks others should believe. It seems a small difference but it's really not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Personal Faith Builders...   

Back to top Go down

Personal Faith Builders...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1