For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 pm

I actually find it odd that in a culture where the family is destroyed, sexuality is a choice as is gender, we're legalizing pot, we're unsure if pedophilia is bad people are still so fired up over alcohol. Can it be sinful? Yes! So can many things but we don't tosse them out.
Back to top Go down
I_cut_rocks

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 pm

I rarely drink anymore. If I do, it is generally a swig of whiskey, bourbon, or maybe one beer. Very rarely more than one beer. I want to remain sober at all times as Satan like a roaring lion is seeking
to devour me. The reference is 1 Peter 5:8.
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Good attitude to have.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18176
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 pm

I_cut_rocks wrote:
I rarely drink anymore. If I do, it is generally a swig of whiskey, bourbon, or maybe one beer. Very rarely more than one beer. I want to remain sober at all times as Satan like a roaring lion is seeking
to devour me. The reference is 1 Peter 5:8.

Same here, I might have a single beer, or one glass of wine with a meal maybe once a week. But that is it, anymore and it will consume me.

Number of posts : 5627
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Xid wrote:
Driven wrote:
My pastor spoke on that passage last week, and given the context surrounding the verse, said verse could be interpreted as an instruction to Timothy to take action against bad leadership - which isn't to say that the first meaning is wrong, either.
Based on Paul's style and blunt speaking, if he were instructing Timothy to take action against bad leadership he would have just come out and said it.

True enough, but on the other hand, if we look at the verses before, it seems to simply echo what he just said. Verses 17-20 are instructions on leadership, 21-22 are warnings, 23 is either an isolated and random suggestion or a metaphor (or both), and 24-25 are further warnings. But you're right, though, Paul is usually pretty direct.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Yet "secular music" is "a sin" for most of you. right sir.

BTW when I was "evangelical" I avoided Alcohol like the plague. In my mind the Bible verses that preachers often mention where "enough" for me to believe that "drinking alcohol was a sin. period".
Back to top Go down
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:43 pm

This preacher says "evangelicals" are not supposed to drink one single drop of alcoholic beverages during their Christian life span so ... ( the video is in portuguese , Ill just left it here out of curiosity ): 

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:46 pm

ze_mau wrote:

BTW when I was "evangelical" I avoided Alcohol like the plague. In my mind the Bible verses that preachers often mention where "enough" for me to believe that "drinking alcohol was a sin. period".

Others here have already told you that they listen to music from both secular and Christian artists. Sorry man but this looks like you are just trying to provoke someone into an argument.

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ze_mau wrote:

Others here have already told you that they listen to music from both secular and Christian artists.  Sorry man but this looks like you are just trying to provoke someone into an argument.  

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not really. I´m showing pharisees how juding hurts ( to the point of someone abandoning his faith ) but that´s cool with me ...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:59 pm

ze_mau wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
ze_mau wrote:

Others here have already told you that they listen to music from both secular and Christian artists.  Sorry man but this looks like you are just trying to provoke someone into an argument.  

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not really. I´m showing pharisees how juding hurts ( to the point of someone abandoning his faith ) but that´s cool with me ...

Pharisees? Just who are you referring to?

Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:00 pm

EDIT: ninja'd.

But now you're calling folks here "pharisees"???  Still not trying to provoke anyone into an argument???   Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:08 pm

I´m not calling anyone here necessarily a "pharisee". I´m just trowing the bait to see if some "pharisee" catches it. its not directed at anyone here in the board , mmmmmmmmmmmmkay ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:27 pm

ze_mau wrote:
I´m not calling anyone here necessarily a "pharisee". I´m just trowing the bait to see if some "pharisee" catches it. its not directed at anyone here in the board , mmmmmmmmmmmmkay ?

Sounds like trolling to me. You don't want to be a troll do ya?

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:17 pm

I refuse to feed the troll.....
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:38 am

ze_mau wrote:

"Throwing bait" is trying to start an argument. If I insult Brazilians since they just lost the World Cup (rather embarrassing, don't you think?), is that just "throwing bait"?

Wait, is this our friend zegonzales from CMR? I hope so. When I was having a bad day, his posts made me laugh.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8894
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 am

We welcome all here.... BUT

A huge thing we here at CHM despise is divisiveness, argument starting, and intentional provoking.

This is a peaceful board and has been for many years. People who jump in and start trashing people or looking for a fight, get the boot.  Just the way it is, and just the way we keep things peaceful here.

I cuss everyday, I listen to secular music as much as "Christian", I legally consume MJ for back pain and would gladly drink some alcohol if I didn't have a bad pancreas.
Why all the confession ? Cuz I think everyone here has their own set of shortcomings and none of us can approach God on our own merit, the ONLY reason any of us are here and able to approach God and love each other and enjoy listening to music with Christian lyrics, is cuz JESUS, Y'Shua the Messiah provided the way for each one of us sinners to be viewed by the Holy Creator as holy in His eyes and accept us as His own adopted children.

Going to boards to "throw bait" to catch some Pharisees isn't what we're called to do, nor is it welcome here.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Well said G/F, you have a way with words.

PostSubject: Re: Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...   

Back to top Go down

Quick Bible Study - Interpret this...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2