For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Jobs, Careers and the unknown

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:44 am

A period of faith is needed for me at a time when I'm pretty short on faith.

The Dr I work for has been through the ringer with some rotten patients who decided to make her life difficult. Instead of chalking it up to "part of the job" as all private practices go through, she's ready to pack it all up and go from business owner to employee of another care. (she'd still experience difficult patients, but I guess her thing is, she won't be the top of the chain with them anymore).
I understand to a point, but my wife is the manager of this outfit and spent countless hours and weekends getting this business going about 8 years ago. We are currently bringing in the HIGHEST bottom line in the history of this very successful office practice....
Anyways, all that aside, she's going to most likely be moving on leaving over a dozen employees on the streets, including my wife the manager and me, the pharmacy dude.
My wife can walk out of this place and get another management job without blinking.
Me on the other hand - I have many health problems and the back surgeries as everyone here is aware of... I could easily snag another job in pharmacy with my knowledge, problem is, I can't deal with the stress that comes with our local pharmacies, I also hesitate due to the need to be medicated for chronic back pain - pharmacies don't like to hire people with pain med needs (and I don't blame them).  We've talked about me doing something different. Lisa said if she lands something where she's making a little more than she makes now, I could work part time anywhere I want. This would be ideal, but my experiences and cynicism says that's not gonna happen. 
So I'm not sure what August is going to bring.  I hate the unknown and wish I had an idea of what to do.  I'm so sick of the medical field I could scream, but if that's our bread and butter, I hafta suck it up and see if God wants me to continue in this field.

That's my current dilemma and I'll take any prayer ya'all can send for me.
1. I need a better attitude
2. I need a new job, wherever and whatever that may be - and they'd have to be understanding of my conditions (people see me and since I'm not in a wheelchair or look sick, they assume I'm healthy and fine. I can get a job based on my experience and how I look - but once I'm there, there's a lot of things I'm limited on doing and could make an employer sorry they hired me). I don't know. I've considered disability, but we don't really want to accept that phase of my life yet.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3245
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Change on this scale is scary.  I hear ya!  Will keep you and yours in prayer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3366
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Praying.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18236
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Change like this scares the bejeebers out of me as well.  Be praying you will have the right attitude and not be too overcome by it.  Also praying the right job comes along.

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks all. Right now I have an apathetic attitude that "hey, whatever happens happens". I'm so tired of not being that younger strapping lad that could do anything for a career - now I'm stuck with disabilities and a low tolerance for stress... what kind of employer's gonna snatch me up ?

I guess it's gonna depend on what Lisa lands. She's got a mind like a steel trap and can recall anything, even people's voices on the phone. She can run an entire office flawlessly, and get this: She LIKES to !

If she lands a good job with good pay, I'm gonna find something simple and easy on the body and just go for part time. I'm ready to be semi-retired... my 44 year old body is the equivalent of a 65 year old...

Though I'm trying to ride this out with a cool demeaner, it is beginning to take it's toll on my emotions. This kind of crap gets to me.

Thanks again for the prayers - this is the biggest time in my life that I need them.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 am

What pisses me off the most is, this whole mess started cuz of ONE patient and ONE Nurse Practitioner a little less than 2 years ago.  I can't go into details cuz of privacy reasons, but a Nurse employed here gave advice to a patient with a grim diagnosis. A year later the patient was still alive and decided to sue the entire office cuz he didn't die. Really ??? So the Nurse ends up quitting before the hearing, leaving all of us hanging.  She has to appear at court with the Dr for several weeks and they fight a good fight, the jury is more than fair, realizing that Dr was not at fault, and really the Nurse didn't do anything wrong either - yet they still rewarded this dude a small amount cuz I guess they felt sorry for him.
Long story shortened, the Dr is now paranoid that it's gonna happen again and be worse the next time. She's become impossible to work with due to her paranoia and is barking at everyone and making ridiculous rules for everyone, including the patients, to follow.... all because of ONE patient who had an agenda to make some cash off of a Dr. Now Dr is meeting with a medical group to get hired on as an employee... if she gets the gig, she's gonna tell everyone here "so sorry, you're on your own now... good luck getting another job". Not to mention 1,600 patients who will need to find another Dr, most of which are senior citizens who can't go down the hill (and trust me, there aren't many Drs left here in town - they will HAVE to go down the hill to the Palm Springs area... our area is considered a "Medical Shortage" area. This year the town lost 1 Dr to old age, and 3 others who retired or took a job down the hill. The Dr I work for has an honest monopoly due to the Dr shortage - Lisa does the books and trust me, this office makes BANK ! Worse time to pull out)

Had we known she was this flakey, we would've never worked under her. We planned on retiring out of this place after about 20 to 25 years here (provided no serious events prevented this).
Anyways, I just wanted to get that off my chest - I'm partly pissed and partly scared of the unknown. I've always been able to jump out there and get a job within days... I don't think I can do that anymore.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 am

You know what man, I'm looking to change careers too. I need (in my head) to go back to school but I don't make enough money.

But ultimately, it isn't about what I can do - or what you can do - but what God can do. And that, friend and brother, makes it a little easier to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks a lot man.  I know God's got a plan for me and that my worrying is actually a mis-trusting of God to do what I know He can do. Thanks for the encouragement ! I'm just gonna ride this out and see where it takes me. Cuz when it all comes down, you realize that you're just on a ride in this life and don't have as much control over things as you think you do... If we could pull back the veil hiding the angels and demons in battle, we'd realize that a lot of our lives are not under our own control.

I know I'm where I'm at right now cuz of God's will... and I know God will lead me where He wants when this chapter closes.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:18 pm

Just writing my thoughts out - you don't have to read all this stuff....

Things are coming down pretty fast.... Ever since the Dr went paranoid, she's been seeking out every law for every area of a medical practice and barking out rules to everyone, so she doesn't have a patient put her through the legal system again.
That's fine, cuz it's good to have everything the way it should be, and avoid any problems. But, she was speaking to a mucky muck today who said that every medication that is dispensed from her office MUST be handed to the patient by her and her alone (she originally ignored that rule cuz she hired me, a tech with 25 years of experience... and I haven't made 1 mistake in 5+ years working here)... but now she's paranoid that she's not following every rule exactly as written. I was warned of this ahead of time and am expecting her to do away with my Dispensary.  I will be out of work, but able to collect unemployment until I can find another job.
Fine with me. I could walk into any pharmacy here in town and get a job, making almost double what I make here, but the stress, the back pain, and the meds I have to take for that pain are all going to be troublesome in landing a new job.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Oh bummer man. I completely understand, I was in a similar position two years ago, only not as good. One the partners at our firm decided he was quitting and left two days later. The other two partners decided they didn't want to carry the company without him and decided to quit too, putting the other 10 of us employees instantly out of work. Sadly the market didn't support me going to any other company what was worse I didn't have my license (at the time)....I was up a creek without a paddle. Fortunately I was able to convince one of the remaining partners to start a new company and take me with him, but even that has been a struggle.

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:53 am

But the key positive in what you said is, you survived, right ?

"I will survive, hey hey !"
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
But the key positive in what you said is, you survived, right ?

"I will survive, hey hey !"

You will!

Number of posts : 5641
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 pm

When I read this thread, I had this song in mind:

Use this song as your alarm clock maybe, or listen to it every day, and crank it up. I hope it encourages you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Razz  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm

OMG people !!! I just got the news today that she "MOST LIKELY WILL NOT BE CLOSING THE PRACTICE !" !!!! ! ! ! ! ! ! !  !

Do you know what this means ????? Of course you do, I've been whining about it for days. OMG I'm so happy !  There may be some changes here in the office, but that don't matter... I can handle small changes.

Wow, I don't know what to say ! Thanks for the prayers ! I've been devastated for a couple weeks, and now I'm elated ! Wooo HOoooooo !!!!!

Thumbs Up  cheers  Rockin'  Headbang  Woo  Woo  Drums  Headbang  Bouncing smiley  Wow!  Amen  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2354
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Thumbs Up  cheers  Rockin'  Headbang  Woo  Woo  Drums  Headbang  Bouncing smiley  Wow!  Amen  Very Happy

WAHOOOOOOO!!! You Rock
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:02 pm

Good news!

Number of posts : 3245
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Woot!
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:15 am

Awesome sauce!
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2949
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:43 am

Did you kiss her (with your wife's permission of course)? Razz

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14685
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:49 am

Yeppers the peppers, that's very good news.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 am

topshot rhit wrote:
Did you kiss her (with your wife's permission of course)? Razz

Uhhh, no.  affraid 

But I'm no longer mad at her  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:33 pm

This situation is becoming schizophrenic.

Now the mucky mucks want to sell the practice to another facility, take our Dr onto their staff and take my wife with them. Lisa's excited as she will be able to work that huge brain of hers and be an invaluable asset to them. Me... well, if they approve the amount Lisa's asking, then she wants me to take my time and just find something part time. Her new income would cover all our bills and make it so I don't have to seek out work in the only field I really know. I've been wanting to get out of the medical field for years, this would be my chance.

So, I'm trying to look on the positive side. If this works out the way she's talking, I could be on "Semi-Disability" - ie take a low impact, low stress job that doesn't require any physical work and just do part time. This would be ideal for me since I've been in tremendous pain since my first back surgery in 2005... Prior to living with pain, I was an invaluable Pharmacy Technician with years of experience... now I'm always in pain and most days are struggles, even at a job where there's no stress and I can sit or stand whenever I want.

I want so much to trust God on this, but I feel SO far away from Him - which is why I've asked for prayer from my CHM family, as I'm not walking too close to the Father these days. 
I miss that relationship. Anyways, your prayers are very dear to me and if anyone wants to hold me up in prayer for my walk with Christ, I could really use that right now. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 2960
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Hmm, you might be suited for some type of pharmaceutical position where you like a tech center person.  But you'd basically do it from home.  I've heard of positions like this.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Hmm, you might be suited for some type of pharmaceutical position where you like a tech center person.  But you'd basically do it from home.  I've heard of positions like this.

That would be cool.
My wife just got a part-time job where she works at home making survey calls for the Department of Agriculture.  Sporadic hours though.

PostSubject: Re: Jobs, Careers and the unknown   

Back to top Go down

Jobs, Careers and the unknown
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next