For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...   Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:00 am

For those who haven't heard, Michael Gungor (leader of the musical collective Gungor) has stirred up a bit of controversy recently after stating that he doesn't believe the story of Noah happened exactly as it's written in the Bible. This has even caused at least one church to back out of hosting a Gungor concert and has caused some fans to question his beliefs...

http://gungormusic.com/2014/08/im-with-you/

Does anyone else think the controversy over this is a bit ridiculous? So he has a different interpretation of part of the Bible than others do. Who cares?
Back to top Go down
http://www.archiefans.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...   Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 am

Don't know his "interpretation" of it, but if it's anything like that Russell Crow movie... yeh, that was WAY off.
We humans have only what we have to interpret. Between the basic text that God has preserved for thousands of years, reputable commentaries that are able to reference other historical records to compare to the Biblical account as well as the language used and translated to english, and most importantly, the Holy Spirit sealed in ONLY the believers - I feel we have enough info to get the "simple message" passed down and preserved for God's adopted kids to understand what we need to understand it, without adding to it, or coming up with our own silly ideas.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18236
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...   Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:51 am

I think trying to say that some things in the bible are "literal" and others are not, is a very slippery slope.  At what point does one just decide to completely throw out portions of the bible they don't agree with or don't understand (some call that "cafeteria Crhistianity").  I have a difficult time with people that dismiss portions of the bible that seem relatively straight forward (like the flood and creation accounts). 
I'm not going to stand up and scream "heretic" at Gungor, but I certainly don't fault any church that might want to rethink having them perform in their facility or event.

Number of posts : 3366
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...   Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Not a big deal. I don't believe the whole Bible is literal either. Will I be banned from CHM? lol...
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...   Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:23 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Not a big deal. I don't believe the whole Bible is literal either. Will I be banned from CHM? lol...
Yes lol...  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18236
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:19 pm

ishmael81 wrote:

No, but I will say this is why (in general) we don't have theological debates here at CHM.  

We do have a statement of faith http://www.christianhardmusic.com/t18-chm-statement-of-faith
But nobody is "required" to affirm it.  Just respect it.

I understand that there is a variety of "Christian beliefs" and I seriously doubt that any one Christian group (or person) has it even 80% correct with regards to God/Christ and his will/plan for us.  I think on one hand we should extend grace to most others calling themselves followers of Christ who follow a theology that doesn't match our own.  But on the other hand be wary of heresy and false teaching/beliefs.

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:59 pm

I agree
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...   

Back to top Go down

Michael Gungor: I don't take Noah story literally...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1