For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Confusion at school

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

PostSubject: Confusion at school   Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:03 pm

I get confused. Not with school work so much, but with life and the Bible. Please pray for me. Pray that I can know what is true and that I can stay grounded in Scripture. (I think that's the right Christianese term. I'm still learning Christianese and I'm not the best with idioms.) It's really tough being an ex-SDA in an SDA environment. I get a sinking feeling when I remember that most of my friends and classmates are Adventist. Also pray that I learn more truth and that I can understand what the Bible is really saying without any crazy filters that don't help anything. Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3269
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:07 pm

Praying for God to open your eyes to His truth for His understanding when you are reading His word.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18277
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Praying God will grant you discernment sister.

Number of posts : 14729
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:14 am

Xenonlion, God will help you to open your eyes so you can see and understand His word better.
You also may ask God to open your eyes when you start reading the Bible.
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Thank you so much. Thank you for praying for me and the advice. I really need it. Remind me what the gospel is. It may not seem that big to you, but for me it's huge because I've been taught, and I'm still being taught, a false gospel.

Sorry I keep making so many threads, though. Things keep coming up.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14729
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:38 am

Xenonlion, that's why we are the CHM family.
When one of us needs prayer, encouragement or support, advice or something else.
We are here to pray, to encourage and to support.

We are glad you post threads to tell us about your stuggles.
So God will use us to help you and others.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:32 am

xenonlion wrote:
Remind me what the gospel is.
As a song says, "The gospel in one word is love"
John 3:16

KISS... Keep It Simple, Sister. Smile

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks for listening and not getting annoyed. Thanks for praying, too. Even when I'm done with school, I will need prayer because I don't know what my relationship with my parents will become because of all of this. I want to trust God and I don't want to worry.

Thank you for being a family.

Also, how do I know if I am saved? How do I know what is right? By that I'm talking about all of the different views on Bible texts out there. How do I know which one is right? Is it a combination of a few or a couple. It's so confusing. I wish there was only one way to interpret things: the right way. It's so confusing when everything is saying something different. Like some you can easily rule out because they are unbiblical, but some are more difficult to figure out. I don't know what I'm doing.
Back to top Go down
Xid

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:31 pm

What do you think about this:

Romans 10:5-13
For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is [b]based on law shall live [c]by that righteousness. But the righteousness [d]based on faith speaks as follows: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, [e]that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, [f]resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, [g]resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be [h]disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:31 pm

How do you know what's right? Read the Bible and ask for the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom. Yes, people do still take different interpretations of certain topics, but most thankfully have no bearing on salvation.

Do you have a translation that is easy for you to understand? That is very helpful. If SDA have their own version like the Jehovah's Witness then I'd use something else. I've also found it very helpful to use a chronological Bible, which makes reading through in a year MUCH easier in my opinion.

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Xid wrote:
What do you think about this:

Romans 10:5-13
For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is [b]based on law shall live [c]by that righteousness. But the righteousness [d]based on faith speaks as follows: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, [e]that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, [f]resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, [g]resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be [h]disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

It is interesting. I don't understand 5-7, but the rest is interesting. I always feel like there is more to do to be saved or stay saved. Really I don't like fearing for my life constantly. I dunno.
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:45 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
How do you know what's right? Read the Bible and ask for the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom. Yes, people do still take different interpretations of certain topics, but most thankfully have no bearing on salvation.

Do you have a translation that is easy for you to understand? That is very helpful. If SDA have their own version like the Jehovah's Witness then I'd use something else. I've also found it very helpful to use a chronological Bible, which makes reading through in a year MUCH easier in my opinion.

It feels weird when people talk about being saved. Do you stay saved or go back and forth between saved and not saved? It is confusing. I don't like to worry. I like to trust God that I am saved. Then I don't feel scared all the time. Though I feel like I will be scared again if I have to do anything to stay saved. I do ask for forgiveness when I do wrong and I repent. I don't feel so scared. I feel like I've been scared for most of my life. Afraid of going to hell.

I do have a translation available that I can understand. I kinda feel like I have to sneak because my parents would prefer that I use kjv, but I usually use esv because it's easier for me to understand. I used to only use the kjv, but it was getting really difficult to understand. I do like its older English and I even have a 1611 edition. SDA Bible... Kinda. You don't have to use it. You won't be looked sown upon if you don't use it. It is called the Clear Word or the Clear Word Bible. It is a paraphrase with SDA stuff kinda forced on the verses. People like it. I've never really used it. A chronological Bible sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
Xid

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:43 pm

The core of the passage is "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation."

If there were more to be saved or to remain saved, it would be there.
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:18 pm

What I wonder is why it is this simple. In my mind, I feel like it's more complicated.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Xid wrote:
The core of the passage is "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation."

If there were more to be saved or to remain saved, it would be there.

Couldn't have said it better!  Maybe it is just that simple XL, and God has given us the tools (i.e. His Word and Holy Spirit) to figure out the rest of the little "details" as we go along in this life.  Smile
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:23 pm

Okay. I see.

I'm still afraid of going to churches in the future because I don't want to be taught something contradictory to Scripture. It would be even worse if I've already bonded with the people. What should I do in that situation.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:42 pm

xenonlion wrote:
It feels weird when people talk about being saved. Do you stay saved or go back and forth between saved and not saved?
This is one that many argue over. After reading the Bible through the first time it was clear to me that YOU could remove yourself from the flock (but nothing else could). However, it's not something you should wonder or worry about because you would know if you did such a thing. There's no way you can mysteriously lose your salvation. On that I agree with the "eternal security" folks. It really is simple - do you trust Jesus as your savior and live like it in your heart? If not, then worry. Since you are concerned about it, it shows that you do.

Quote :
A chronological Bible sounds interesting.
This is the one I have used for years. They have a standard sized paperback as well.

BTW, the ESV is my preferred version.

As for finding a good church, you really have to shop around, just like you will for a car or house some day. Even within the same denomination you can find some surprising differences. A simple test is do the sermons and teaching bring conviction to you (in general)? Some are meant to uplift and exhort but a pastor's job is to equip the saints so the majority should focus on how to be a better disciple and further the kingdom (in my opinion).

I would stay away from the more liberal denominations. By that meaning ones that have recently allowed ordained homosexual clergy for example as it's obvious they have no problem with purposely sinning within their leadership.

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:15 pm

What do you mean by the sermon convicting you?
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:03 pm

xenonlion wrote:
What do  you mean by the sermon convicting you?
One definition of conviction is when you hear something that you are having an issue with the Holy Spirit stirs your conscious to make you realize you could do better in that area. It could be a sin of some kind or just that you may not be doing well in some facet of your relationship with Jesus. In other words, you are "guilty" (hence the term conviction) of not living like you should be. Of course, nobody does since we can all improve somewhere so if the church is all watered down, seeker sensitive, wishy washy, etc., it's not likely your going to get some good teaching that will help you improve. I also don't want you to think being convicted is a bad thing. In my eyes, quite the contrary. If you're thinking you've got it made, have this "Christian life" all figured out, rarely getting convicted, etc. then you're on a very slippery slope and may not be saved.

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Oh okay. Smile

What often happens though is that I get violent thoughts about myself when I feel convicted, too. I feel like dying and I won't want to speak. I'll wish that I could not speak or do anything. I'll get thoughts of my death or myself getting my limbs cut off, or getting stabbed or sliced in the stomach in a dark room. It is bloody and everything. It's not mysterious to me or anything. When I was very young I was constantly afraid of going to hell. Whenever I do something wrong I am afraid and I for a while I feel like I will go to hell and that I can't do anything right. I get thoughts of hurting myself, too. Usually with sharp objects. I will sometimes scratch myself with things just to feel the pain. I have used keys, scissors, thought about using a fork earlier. Really I would use what I could.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:24 am

That is a bit extreme. I'm not a psychologist, but I'll give you a couple points to ponder.

1. Satan is the one influencing those thoughts. How can I say that? Because it's clearly not of God. I personally would pray for God to bind up those thoughts and loose his loving presence over your mind.

2. Can you find any example of Jesus acting in any way like that toward a sinner who wants to come to God? The woman at the well. Woman caught in adultery. Even the foreign woman that wanted him to heal her daughter. The only ones he was not that compassionate with were the religious leaders that were keeping people from a relationship with the Father.

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Okay.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18277
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:02 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
That is a bit extreme. I'm not a psychologist, but I'll give you a couple points to ponder.

1. Satan is the one influencing those thoughts. How can I say that? Because it's clearly not of God. I personally would pray for God to bind up those thoughts and loose his loving presence over your mind.

2. Can you find any example of Jesus acting in any way like that toward a sinner who wants to come to God? The woman at the well. Woman caught in adultery. Even the foreign woman that wanted him to heal her daughter. The only ones he was not that compassionate with were the religious leaders that were keeping people from a relationship with the Father.

Well said.

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Please continue to pray for me. I do have a praise that I haven't been so confused lately.
Back to top Go down
Xid

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confusion at school   

Back to top Go down

Confusion at school