Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eighth Grade Algebra

Go down 
+5
Staybrite
Driven
kerrick
Xid
BearDad
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Eighth Grade Algebra Empty
PostSubject: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 9:22 am

I like algebra, and I usually like word problems, but this problem from my 13yo's pre-algebra class had me stumped for over 30 minutes. No wonder she gets frustrated! So how many resident CHM geniuses can solve it?

Jim runs a lawn care business for which he charges $15 to mow and an additional $5 to trim.  One week he earned $415, trimming 5 more yards than he mowed. Write an equation to determine how many yards Jim trimmed, then solve it.

I am sure SOMEone will get the right answer, but if no-one does I'll post the solution in a few days.

BTW, my other daughter, a junior in college, got it wrong. So, are you smarter than an 8th grader and a college student!? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 10:11 am

I came up with 2 ways:

(415 - (5*5)) / 15 = x

(5*5) + 15x = 415
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3507
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 10:54 am

I think it'd be this:

415 = 15(x-5) + 5x
415 = 15x - 75 +5x
415 = 20x - 75
340 = 20x
x = 17 yards trimmed
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 11:25 am

I solved for lawns mowed, not trimmed.  Here's a rewrite:

{(415 - (5*5)) / 15} + 5 = x
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 12:20 pm

The question is, do we assume that all lawns were mowed and trimmed, and that five additional lawns were trimmed?
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Driven wrote:
The question is, do we assume that all lawns were mowed and trimmed, and that five additional lawns were trimmed?

You think like my oldest daughter.  She thought the problem indicated that x lawns were cut while y lawns were only trimmed.  However, the problem states "he charges $15 to mow and an additional $5 to trim".  This implies that he cuts all of them, but only trims the ones that pay $5 more.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 1:45 pm

kerrick wrote:
I think it'd be this:

415 = 15(x-5) + 5x
415 = 15x - 75 +5x
415 = 20x - 75
340 = 20x
x = 17 yards trimmed

You're heading the right direction, except for two mistakes.  #1, like Driven and my college-aged daughter you seem to be assuming that some yards are cut while others are only trimmed. (see post just above).  And #2, you subtracted 75 (lines 3 to 4) from both sides rather than adding 75; if you follow your equation correctly and add 75 line 4 then becomes 490 = 20x, making x 24.5 (the same answer my oldest daughter came up with), and incorrect as we can probably assume he didn't trim half a yard (well, if he was a kid he probably did. LOL!)
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Xid wrote:

Computer programmer?  Smile  That's not an algebra equation, at least not one a 13 year old would know how to write, and the answer is incorrect anyway. Sorry. Smile
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Oh whoops!  I did subtract from both sides...  Embarassed   Send me back to 8th grade...  In my defense, I hadn't had my coffee yet haha!  Eighth Grade Algebra 2859867778

So Jim is trimming the same yards he mowed, plus five more yards?  I see, that makes sense.  That changes it...  I've gotta get back to work, but this will take a little more time...
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Ok what about this?

mowed            5
|--------------|------|
|<-----trimmed---->|

trimmed (total) = x
mowed = x - 5

415 = (15+5)*5 + 15(x-5)
415 = 100 + 15x - 75
390 = 15x
x = 26 yards?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:37 pm

BearDad wrote:
Xid wrote:

Computer programmer?  Smile  That's not an algebra equation, at least not one a 13 year old would know how to write, and the answer is incorrect anyway. Sorry. Smile
I took a little programming back in the day and used to be pretty good at Algebra. 

I think I see the error of my ways:  It's a trick question so he mowed all of them and only trimmed 5.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:38 pm

kerrick wrote:
Oh whoops!  I did subtract from both sides...  Embarassed   Send me back to 8th grade...  In my defense, I hadn't had my coffee yet haha!  Eighth Grade Algebra 2859867778

So Jim is trimming the same yards he mowed, plus five more yards?  I see, that makes sense.  That changes it...  I've gotta get back to work, but this will take a little more time...

No, he's cutting x number of yards, and trimming all but five of them (x - 5).  And yes, it took me some time as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:48 pm

Ok… so lemme get this straight… original post said "trimming 5 more yards than he mowed", but here, you're saying "trimming all but five of them". It's the latter, right? Just trying to make things clear here. I'm a bit confused. Smile
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:50 pm

Xid wrote:
BearDad wrote:
Xid wrote:

I took a little programming back in the day and used to be pretty good at Algebra. 

I think I see the error of my ways:  It's a trick question so he mowed all of them and only trimmed 5.

No, it's not a trick question. I probably screwed it up, as I didn't word it exactly the way it was in the problem (I don't have it with me; my daughter has it at school). Like I told Kerrick, he mowed all the yards, and he trimmed all but five of them.  ("he charges $15 to mow and an additional $5 to trim")
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:54 pm

{(415 - (5*15)) / 20} = x
(415 - 75) / 20 = x
340 / 20 = x
x = 17
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Driven wrote:
you're saying "trimming all but five of them". 

Yeah, I think I screwed up there. Let's break this down:

"Jim runs a lawn care business for which he charges $15 to mow and an additional $5 to trim."

This indicates that every yard service includes a mow, but only includes a trim for an additional $5.

"One week he earned $415, trimming 5 more yards than he mowed."

I'll admit, this makes it sound like some yards he only trimmed while others he mowed, which is probably what screwed me up so bad last night. However, I believe it indicates of all the yards he services, he mowed and trimmed five more than he simply mowed. Don't thing of "trimmed" meaning only a trim, but being a mow and trim. In other words:

yards serviced = yards mowed + yards mowed and trimmed
yards serviced = yards mowed + (yards mowed + 5)   <-- solve for number of yards mowed

or

yards serviced = (yards mowed and trimmed - 5) + yards mowed and trimmed  <-- solve for number of yards mowed and trimmed

and finally, 

money earned = yards serviced
money earned = (yards mowed and trimmed - 5) + yards mowed and trimmed   <-- plug in from above

So, in algebraic format, where t represents yards trimmed and m represents yards mowed

415 = t + m
415 = t + (t - 5)  <-- big hint there.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 5:08 pm

BearDad wrote:
Driven wrote:

"Jim runs a lawn care business for which he charges $15 to mow and an additional $5 to trim."

This indicates that every yard service includes a mow, but only includes a trim for an additional $5.

I'll admit, this makes it sound like some yards he only trimmed while others he mowed, which is probably what screwed me up so bad last night. However, I believe it indicates of all the yards he services, he mowed and trimmed five more than he simply mowed. Don't thing of "trimmed" meaning only a trim, but being a mow and trim. In other words:

yards serviced = yards mowed + (yards mowed + 5)   <-- solve for number of yards mowed

or

yards serviced = (yards mowed and trimmed - 5) + yards mowed and trimmed  <-- solve for number of yards mowed and trimmed

and finally, 

money earned = (yards mowed and trimmed - 5) + yards mowed and trimmed   <-- plug in from above

So, in algebraic format, where t represents yards trimmed and m represents yards mowed

415 = t + m

Wait so am I right? bounce

kerrick wrote:
Ok what about this?

mowed            5
|--------------|------|
|<-----trimmed---->|

trimmed (total) = x
mowed = x - 5

415 = (15+5)*5 + 15(x-5)
415 = 100 + 15x - 75
390 = 15x
x = 26 yards?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 5:22 pm

t=trim & mow - m=mow only - Therefore m=t-5

15m + 20t = 415
15(t-5)+20t = 415
15t - 75 + 20t = 415
35t - 75 = 415
35t - 75 + 75 = 415 + 75
35t = 490
35t / 35 = 490 /35
t=14
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Xid wrote:
 t=trim & mow - m=mow only - Therefore m=t-5

15m + 20t = 415
15(t-5)+20t = 415
15t - 75 + 20t = 415
35t - 75 = 415
35t - 75 + 75 = 415 + 75
35t = 490
35t / 35 = 490 /35
t=14

cheers

Check: 

(14 * 20) + ((14 - 5) * 15)
280 + (9 * 15)
280 + 135

Last edited by BearDad on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 5:37 pm

kerrick wrote:
BearDad wrote:
Driven wrote:

or

and finally, 

415 = t + m

Wait so am I right? bounce

kerrick wrote:
Ok what about this?

mowed            5
|--------------|------|
|<-----trimmed---->|

trimmed (total) = x
mowed = x - 5

415 = (15+5)*5 + 15(x-5)
415 = 100 + 15x - 75
390 = 15x
x = 26 yards?
Not quite
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Incredibly poorly worded problem.  This is the reason that many kids can't get word problems because the teachers/text book writers can't seem to communicate effectively with words.  I have had this same problem with my kid's homework from public school.  On one occasion I gave my daughter three different solutions to the same word problem (in college) and told her to give them all to the teacher and tell him one of them had to be correct or else the textbook writer is a complete moron and is wasting everybody's time. 

In the real world if a client gave me a problem like this I would likely spend an hour and fifty minutes getting them to word the problem correctly and an additional ten minutes solving the problem....then they would wonder why I was charging them for 2 hours.

xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 5:45 pm

I find this amusing...
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Staybrite wrote:
In the real world if a client gave me a problem like this I would likely spend an hour and fifty minutes getting them to word the problem correctly and an additional ten minutes solving the problem....then they would wonder why I was charging them for 2 hours.
+1 Thumbs Up

BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Incredibly poorly worded problem.  This is the reason that many kids can't get word problems because the teachers/text book writers can't seem to communicate effectively with words.  I have had this same problem with my kid's homework from public school.  On one occasion I gave my daughter three different solutions to the same word problem (in college) and told her to give them all to the teacher and tell him one of them had to be correct or else the textbook writer is a complete moron and is wasting everybody's time. 

Yep. That's what more-or-less started this whole thing. My wife was so frustrated she gave up and said, "I'll bet Courtney couldn't get that" ... and she was right! So I decided to see if anyone here could. The difference is you guys had the benefit of having someone that had already worked it out to explain it and break it down, and while I didn't have that I at least have experience with poorly worded requirements (computer programmer, remember. Smile ).  A 13 year old kid that already hates math is never going to be able to find the solution! it makes me want to just do her math homework for her, because she will never pass on her own.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 9:03 pm

This little problem of yours was bugging me all day.  When it comes to puzzles I get a little OCD leaving them unsolved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Grade Algebra   Eighth Grade Algebra I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eighth Grade Algebra
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: