Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Country Music

Go down 
+5
Staybrite
BearDad
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
Guilty/Forgiven
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 12:03 am

So it seems the HARD Music board is getting more and more members sympathetic to country music. Twisted Evil

Most know my story- that I hated country before I met Lisa. Then after we got married in '97, I was around more and more country music... and began to like a song or two here and there. Today, I can honestly (and without shame) say that I enjoy quite a bit of country music. MODERN country, not the old stuff that reminds you of "HeeHaw", or that horrible sounding slide guitar ::Shiver::
I really like the sound of a lot of modern country which seems to be emulating the AOR sound of the 80s - many songs almost don't even sound country per se, rather, with Mutt Lange producing many country artists, there's more of an 80s rock sound.

My wife and I watch the CMT Top 20 videos every sunday. Funny thing is, the more I listen to country, the more I notice several songs have lyrics that are MORE Christian than Christian bands ! Granted, there are a fair share of Trucks, Girls, Beer, Bars, and Farms.... but I've never known any other mainstream genre that had SO many unashamed Christian songs.

One such song is currently a new one being played on all the country stations right now. Carrie Underwood sings the following:

"He said I've been where you've been before
Down every hallway's a slamming door
No way out, no one to come and save me
Wasting a life that the Good Lord gave you
Then somebody said what I'm saying to you
Opened my eyes and told me truth
He said: just a little faith and it'll all get better
So I followed that preacher man down to the river and now I'm changed
And now I'm stronger

There must've been something in the water
Oh there must've been something in the water

Well I heard what he said and I went on my way
Didn't think about it for a couple of days
Then it hit me like lightning late one night
I was all out of hoping, all out of fight
Couldn't fight back my tears so I fell on my knees
Saying God if you're there come and rescue me
Felt love pouring down from above
Got washed in the water, washed in the blood and now I'm changed

And now I'm stronger

There must be something in the water
Oh there must be something in the water

And now I'm singing along to amazing grace
Can't nobody wipe this smile off my face
Got joy in my heart, angels on my side
Thank God Almighty, I saw the light
And looked ahead, no turning back
Live everyday, give it all that I have
Trusted someone bigger than me
Ever since the day that I believed I am changed

And now I'm stronger

There must be be something in the water
Oh yeah

I am changed
Stronger

Now I see"

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 6:35 am

If there were more artists actually doing true Christian country, I'd probably buy into it.  Country has always had a mix of secular and sacred back to back.  That's due in part to the Grand Ol' Opry originating at the Ryman Auditorium.  The Ryman was an old church at one time.  They did big southern gospel shows there that packed the house on Sunday nights for many years in its earlier times.  When the Opry came, the owners wanted to keep that religious feel, so many of the artists did their normal songs and did some gospel.  Some of those renditions made it to radio as well.

I just don't care for many of the lyrical themes inside modern country.  I don't care about the drinking, sneaking around or cheating, all the divorce, partying, some country girl shaking her fanny, etc.  If I wanted all that, I'd still be listening to the hair metal from the 80's.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 6:44 am

It's not really my favorite music style.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 8:00 am

I like country, but I'm not so much into what might be called arena country, or chick-country. I mostly like the old fashioned stuff.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 11:01 am

We have very little of the old school stuff. Some Merle, Blackhawk, Emmylou Harris, Patsy Cline, George Strait, Randy Travis, Reba, Restless Heart and of course, Johnny Cash.

My wife doesn't care much for the older twangy country (which I never cared for). Most modern bands have a great sound though. I'm still not a diehard fan, buying my own albums and such... but I dig a lot of what Lisa likes.

Alldat, that makes sense cuz some of the bands will sing this amazing song totally glorifying Jesus and what He did on the cross for us, etc... then the very next song will be about a binge drinking night, waking up with a strange woman, etc scratch
I am pretty convinced though that some country artists are true believers. Several are very drawn towards Christian lyrics more often than not, though they make some mistakes in life (like Randy Travis), I'm pretty convinced by lyrics and interviews that some (ie Randy) are believers, while many others fall into what you were talking about - the whole Opry thing and the fact that it's more accepted in that part of our country .

You have to wonder about some though - Taylor Swift has not always made the best decisions, but she writes most of her own lyrics. I gotta say, some of her writing is phenomenal (whether you like her or not):

"What if ribbons and bows didn't mean a thing?
Would the song still survive without five golden rings?
Would you still wanna kiss without mistletoe?
What would happen if God never let it snow?
What would happen if Christmas carols told a lie?
Tell me what would you find

You'd see that today holds something special
Something holy, not superficial
So here's to the birthday boy who saved our lives
It's something we all try to ignore
And put a wreath up on your door
So here's something you should know that is for sure
Christmas must be something more

What if angels did not pay attention to
All the things that we wished they would always do?
What if happiness came in a cardboard box?
Then I think there is something we all forgot
What would happen if presents all went away?
Tell me what would you find

You'd see that today holds something special
Something holy, not superficial
So here's to the birthday boy who saved our lives
So here's something you should know that is for sure

We get so caught up in all of it
Business and relationships
Hundred mile an hour lives
And it's this time of year
And everybody's here
It seems the last thing on your mind

Is that the day holds something special
Something holy, not superficial?
So here's to Jesus Christ who saved our lives
But here's something you should know that is for sure
Christmas must be something
Christmas must be something

There's gotta be more
There's gotta be more"

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 11:27 am

I still have a soft spot for old school 60's and 70's country because my mother had a lot of it when I was young.  I remember getting her old records out and listening to Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, Glen Campbell and Dolly Parton (same with Neil Diamond...but he wasn't country).  I can't say I hear a lot of difference in most modern country and 80's radio rock except they tend to throw in some of the country elements I really dislike such as fiddle, banjo, over-used steel slide guitar and of course the cringe-worthy "nasal twang".

Bill Steely would probably be in the modern country group (he is supposedly a Christian).  The only problem is he did one album with a decidedly modern country bent (and I actually like it....because it isn't littered with all the stuff I just complained about).  Here is the only single from that self titled album (from 2007).

The only problem is that he appears to have shifted gears a bit on his second release and now (to me anyway) he sounds more like most of the generic CCM artist.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Staybrite

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 11:30 am

As for the "lip service to God" songs that many country (and even southern rock) bands put out on occasion....It just seems par for the course.  Many seem to think that if they praise Jesus on Sunday they can live like the devil the rest of the week (not just musicians but many Americans).  Not to suggest those musicians aren't "saved"...but their song lyrics and life style often don't seem to reflect it.

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Most modern bands have a great sound though. 

But that's just it. When I hear the modern country singers all I here is arena rock with a slide guitar and a Texas drawl.

Randy Travis, Mark Chestnut, Alan Jackson, Patsy Cline, Reba, Wynona, a some Travis Tritt (although he has a more modern sound ... and knows it, even sings about it).
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Here's a challenge S/B ... play the first 15 seconds of that song you posted for someone that doesn't know it's country. I'll bet you $20 they think it's Neil Young or John Cougar Mellencamp.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 3:33 pm

BearDad wrote:
Here's a challenge S/B ... play the first 15 seconds of that song you posted for someone that doesn't know it's country. I'll bet you $20 they think it's Neil Young or John Cougar Mellencamp.

True, unless that is they consist on a diet of modern country only...then they will think it's that local Amarillo band that opened for Rascal Flatts back in '09....you remember them dontcha?  Billy Bob & The Cowpie Kickers?

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Like I said before, 

What do you get when you play country music backwards?

You get your wife, your house, your dog, and your truck back.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 7:12 pm

I enjoy old country, real country. Hank WIlliams, Johnny Cash, George Jones, etc.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 9:36 am

I like that song by Bill Steely... never heard  My wife probably has.

When I say much of today's country appeals to a more 80s AOR sound, doesn't mean it sounds just like 80s AOR, rather, a lot of artists have left the "inbred twangy" sterotype for a more crossover sound, and in doing so, a lot of the sound harkens back to that radio sound of rock.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 10:29 am

When I say "AOR 80s sound", I don't really mean exactly that sound, rather, more of the simple radio worthy rock songs that don't twang and stuff. A lot of country music today would have fit very comfortably on a Fleetwood Mac album back in the day. Or maybe even a Cougar Mellencamp album. I like a lot of modern country cuz of the great story-telling (not the typical trucks, beer and farms that are still in several songs)

I love this collaberation between 3 huge names in country. The mini-movie video, the great message to not text and drive, and it's a departure from Tim's usual old school country sound (and a bonus by country's resident shredder: Keith Urban)

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 10:40 am

I read that Tim did the Highway song (above) as he now has teen daughters and is concerned about them texting while driving (thus the graphic portrayal of the accident)

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 10:57 am

Lisa and I dig this song and especially the video (I dig songs that tell a good story)

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 11:48 am

I enjoy the Band Perry some. They have an almost folky storytelling style.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Stumbled across this video this morning and I have to say other than Chesney's "drawl" there is absolutely nothing country about this rendition at all.

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 1:54 am

Chesney's alright in my book. Most of his topics are about vacationing on an island and partying at the beach of said islands... but he's got a great sound. Unfortunately I'll hafta agree that he has some drawl to some of his singing, which I'm not big into. But many of his tunes are pretty country-rock.

For those of us raising (or raised) kids, this song still gives me a lump in my throat.. such a great song:

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 am

and if you want a good laugh, this song/video is hilarious ! Came out a few years ago, but is still clever and humorous.
It's got Jason Alexander from Seinfeld, William Shatner and even the gal who played Marsha Brady !!

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 9:52 am

Great video!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 10:18 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Chesney's alright in my book. Most of his topics are about vacationing on an island and partying at the beach of said islands... but he's got a great sound.

So he's kinda like the Jimmy Buffet of modern country?

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 am

Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Chesney's alright in my book. Most of his topics are about vacationing on an island and partying at the beach of said islands... but he's got a great sound.

So he's kinda like the Jimmy Buffet of modern country?

Pretty much -Chesney and Brad Paisley are big on island vacations and partying like Buffett was.

It's not Alan Jackson's style per se, but he did a duet with Jimmy I'm sure you've heard of: It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere. Though I can't say I'm much of a fan of drinking songs... this one had a pretty good sound:

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Another interesting note on today's country music, and why it appeals to less "twang" and more radio rock is the 2 biggest Producers of country music.

Mutt Lange, as many already know, clear back to the 80s has been producing AC/DC, Def Leppard, The Boomtown Rats, Foreigner, The Cars, Bryan Adams, Billy Ocean and many more - has been producing country music for quite some time (possibly due to his marriage to country superstar Shania Twain...[what did she SEE in him... ::shiver::])

Next, Dann Huff has produced many a country artists in recent years. You'll know Dann from Whiteheart and Giant (or his brother David from David and the Giants).
In the 1980s Huff has played guitar on albums for Michael Jackson, Scritti Politti, Whitesnake, Roger Hodgson, Steven Curtis Chapman, Doro Pesch, George Benson, Whitney Houston, Barbra Streisand, Kenny Rogers and more. Since the 1990s Huff has been working as a producer for various bands and artists some of which include Faith Hill, Megadeth, Rebecca St. James and Rascal Flatts.

Some songs Huff has played on include:
 "Danger Zone"-Kenny Loggins
 "Begin Again", "Starlight" & "Red" - Taylor Swift
 "Man in the Mirror" & "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" - Michael Jackson
 "My Heart Will Go On" - Celine Dion
 "I Could Fall In Love" - Selena
 "Toulouse to win" - Claude Nougaro
 "Here I Go Again" (US radio version 1987)[13] - Whitesnake
 "Rhythm of the Night" - DeBarge
 "The Glory of Love" - Peter Cetera
 "Next Time I Fall" - Peter Cetera with Amy Grant
 "I Keep Prayin" - Whitecross
 "One Sweet Day" & "All I Want For Christmas Is You" - Mariah Carey
 "Straight Up" & "Cold Hearted" - Paula Abdul
 "I Found Someone" - Michael Bolton
 "The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter" - Reba McEntire
 "On My Own" - Michael McDonald & Patti LaBelle
 "Go West Young Man" - Michael W. Smith[14]
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 pm

I grew up not liking country. In fact on our Honeymoon to Florida I refused to let my wife listen to her Garth Brooks CD. But now I am way older and have a liking to some of the country. I like a lot of the modern stuff out there like Jason Aldean, FloridaGeorgia Line, Brantley Gilbert, Chase Rice, etc. In fact if it wasn't for Disciple, I'm guessing that Brantley Gilbert's Just As I Am would be my album of the year. Plus, I know Chris mentions lack of Guitar solos on some Christian Rock albums. Country is filled with Guitar solos. Last year when I saw FGL opening up for Jason Aldean, both guitarist put on a solo clinic.

Dann Huff produced the new Brantley Gilbert CD and his guitar chops are all over it. So if you like less twang and more upbeat rock stuff, I would check out Brantley and the others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Country Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Country Music   Country Music I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Country Music
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next