Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The age old debate on the horn hand symbol

Go down 
+7
Samson
Xid
Through The Dark Radio
metaldude
Staybrite
BearDad
Guilty/Forgiven
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

The age old debate on the horn hand symbol Empty
PostSubject: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 10:49 am

I was on a Facebook site that had a picture of a Christian rocker with an old lady and they were both doing the "Long live rock" symbol to be cute (cuz when an old lady does it, it's ironic and cute).

Many comments below took the old argument of "why would Christians do the sign of the devil", etc...

This was my response - and I'd like to hear from anyone else here on the subject. What's your take/opinion/idea/conspiracy/etc ?

"I used to be staunch about these kinds of things, and very black and white on all symbols and signs... but terms change, signs change, we can't be superstitious or paranoid as believers and immediately label a simple hand gesture. Yes, as a researcher, I've learned that the symbol LaVey uses on the back of the Satanic Bible is used as "all hail satan", as it has been used by satanists and satanic musicians over the years, but like Josiah said, different cultures have used it with different meanings (such as the Texas Longhorns - the last thing on their minds at a football game is "hailing satan"). In rock music the majority of those using the symbol are innocently conveying the idea of "long live rock and roll". People may believe what they want, and again, I was once black and white about these things and used to believe if someone was using this symbol, it meant hail satan, no matter WHAT ! But we need to ask ourselves, is there a conspiracy of satan to get everyone to use the symbol to glorify him ? Or are we reading WAY too much into a hand symbol that has multiple meanings in different settings ? (As for Bill's comment on the swastika - according to my encyclopedia of symbols, the swastika does have different meanings in different cultures -I don't advocate using it anymore than I personally don't prefer to use the "horns" symbol, but ultimately, the swastika has innocent religious meaning in other cultures).
We hold the "peace" sign up here in America, but in other cultures it means different things (in London, the "peace sign" can be mistaken for the same meaning we have as "giving the finger" over here)
My overall point is, we shouldn't get so hung up on man-made symbols that carry multiple meanings. There's a certain superstition to all of this, and God doesn't want us to be superstitious."
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 10:51 am

It was James from Bloodgood btw:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=870390489637974&set=a.320169964660032.85923.100000010925056&type=1
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 12:37 pm

The folks that say it is a satanic symbol are generally the ones that consider all metal "the devil's music." Dio claimed to be the one that started it, and he said his gypsy grandmother would use it as she maintained it would ward off evil, not unlike Catholics "crossing" themselves. Nothing satanic about that, just superstitious. While it is not something I would do, I don't have any trouble with others doing it.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 12:41 pm

Bingo ! Thank you Beardad for that statement of sanity... at least some people get it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 2:04 pm

BearDad wrote:
The folks that say it is a satanic symbol are generally the ones that consider all metal "the devil's music." Dio claimed to be the one that started it, and he said his gypsy grandmother would use it as she maintained it would ward off evil, not unlike Catholics "crossing" themselves. Nothing satanic about that, just superstitious. While it is not something I would do, I don't have any trouble with others doing it.

I remember Dio saying that. 

I will say that both words and symbols change meaning over time....nearly all of them.  For instance back in the 40's the word "gay" meant something very different than it does today.  The swastika has come to symbolize Nazi terror but for hundreds of years prior to Hitler, many native cultures used the symbol to signify fertility, and the cycle of life.  Kids today seem to use the word "epic" all the time now and it doesn't seem they are using it to mean something grand or massive in scale...it looks more like a substitute for the word "cool".  Things change....maybe the "Long Live Rock" or "Devil's Horns" used to mean something sinister but I don't think that is necessarily the case anymore.  It is just a physical gesture, if people don't intend it for evil I fail to see how it can be evil.  I even see people using it in pictures who aren't even necessarily metal/rock fans.

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 2:32 pm

I gotta agree with the Bear. I don't use it,  but I'm not bothered by it,  either. Kinda funny though...I've probably used it thousands of times watching Texas Longhorn football.  Does that mean they're satanic?
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Many good points here. Thanks all
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Sorry guys I just found irrefutable proof that the symbol is indeed evil......I will never use it again.

The age old debate on the horn hand symbol Justin10

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 4:25 pm

metaldude wrote:
I gotta agree with the Bear. I don't use it,  but I'm not bothered by it,  either. Kinda funny though...I've probably used it thousands of times watching Texas Longhorn football.  Does that mean they're satanic?

Yes, they are Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 5:23 pm

A lot of people now call it the Rock Fist.  James is a goofball so he's always doing something goofy.  That picture didn't surprise me at all.  What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Nicko McBrain once said:

"Don't meddle wit tings you don't understand."

Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Samson wrote:
Nicko McBrain once said:

"Don't meddle wit tings you don't understand."

If all men lived by that motto they'd all be single!
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Samson, you're awesome.  I love you   Up the irons.  Headbang
Beardad, good point!  lol!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 9:52 pm

I use it and I sure as hell don't worship Satan (see what I did there? lol)

Anyway, most people who have an issue with the hand gesture use wreaths and trees at Christmas, but that's a stolen pagan ritual. They also preach that we shouldn't work on Sundays but then are the first in line after church at the buffet...

Anyway, symbols and that kind of thing are what you make them.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 7:48 am

Personally, I see no problem at all.  If you are using this as an actual Satanic ritual or rite, then I think that God would be very displeased.  Just using this as the "rock on" sign, I just don't think that He is going to send us to Hell. 

We give words, symbols, etc. more power than we should.  Sure, they kind of take on a more ominous or nefarious meaning once they have been applied to certain things, but we gave them that new meaning and then became afraid of them.  In the future, it will take on other meanings as we recycle things or even Christianize certain things.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 9:26 am

Exactly !
Cuz doesn't this actually mean "GOAL" ? cheers Or can it be used as worship ? cheers Maybe someone's fed up cheers or maybe the person is being arrested cheers
 This dude could be painting, as many painters use their thumb for dimensions and perspective, measuring it against their subject Thumbs Up or perhaps he just hit it with a hammer Thumbs Up (it is particularly huge!)
Just so, this dude could be a Texas Longhorns fan Headbang or a rocker sayin' "ROCK ON !! METAL FOREVER !!" Headbang
And this dude is laughing at my post = Laughing
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Question Thinks guy is wondering if you could have used more smilies in your post!  

ROTFL(that's just me laughing at my a lame joke/post that will likely only make me laugh....but that's all that really matters)

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 12:29 pm

You got THAT right ! Laughing
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 pm

It is clearly a satanic symbol and something all Christians should avoid completely lest it give Satan a foothold in your life.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Exactly !
Cuz doesn't this actually mean "GOAL" ? cheers Or can it be used as worship ? cheers Maybe someone's fed up cheers or maybe the person is being arrested cheers
 This dude could be painting, as many painters use their thumb for dimensions and perspective, measuring it against their subject Thumbs Up or perhaps he just hit it with a hammer Thumbs Up (it is particularly huge!)
Just so, this dude could be a Texas Longhorns fan Headbang or a rocker sayin' "ROCK ON !! METAL FOREVER !!" Headbang
And this dude is laughing at my post = Laughing

cheers  Touchdown!

Last edited by BearDad on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 6:46 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
It is clearly a satanic symbol and something all Christians should avoid completely lest it give Satan a foothold in your life.

Well played.  I wonder if anyone else will catch the irony.

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Staybrite wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

Probably.  I enjoy being in a place where sarcasm isn't a dead language.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 9:13 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

Probably.  I enjoy being in a place where sarcasm isn't a dead language.

Like conservatism these days?  lol!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 am

messiaen77 wrote:

I agree. Now leave me alone whilst I gossip and eat too much...Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The age old debate on the horn hand symbol   The age old debate on the horn hand symbol I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The age old debate on the horn hand symbol
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next