For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Group Prayer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Group Prayer   Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:29 am

Some, when chosen to pray aloud among others get nervous, others are very natural and pray with eloquence.
I'm just curious, how are you with group prayer ? Are you smooth and sincere speaking directly to God without caring what others around you think about your prayer, or do you get nervous with people listening to you pray aloud (and try to choose your words carefully) ?

Me, I'm like Moses, I can't speak worth nothing. When I pray to God by myself I'm able to pause and think, re-word what I just said, and share my heart with Him in my own way. But volunteer me to pray publicly and I feel I sound like a blithering idiot. My wife doesn't think so, but she's probably being nice.

What about your public prayers ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18236
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Group Prayer   Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 pm

I usually do fairly well in group prayer. But often I feel like I am just parroting someone elses "religious speak" with some of what I say.

You know what I mean those phrases and words that seem to be used (and probably over used) in group prayer
"Dear Father we come before you today....."
"Lord we lift our brother/sister in prayer to you....."
"Dear Lord Jesus we humbly seek your will....." etc.

I'm not suggesting those words/phrases are not heart-felt, but they often seem like wrote. As if we expect that is the "way" to pray out loud. Used in constent repetition like that I think they become meaningless, and will cause some people to be afraid to speak in group prayer because they don't feel comfortable with the "prayer language".

Personally I am trying to break that cycle. I hope to pray more in the manner that I speak to others. It seems more honest to me, and I think it helps to put others at ease during group prayer.

I have actually said something to this affect recently in a group prayer at church. "Jesus we love you becaue you are awesome. Help us do what is right, because we can't do it on our own. God you rock".

But comfortable or not, some people just have a hard time speaking in front of two or more people. I'm just not one of them.

(gread thread btw Apo)cheers

Number of posts : 3746
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Group Prayer   Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:20 pm

I'm not one for public prayers, although I do pray from time to time in meetings, I'm just not very good at it!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14685
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Group Prayer   Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:15 pm

My prayers are the best when I pray to God alone.
I am not very good in group prayers.
Feel very uncomfortable
For me it works better when I pray alone.
Back to top Go down
drumdude

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Group Prayer   Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:17 pm

Im the worst at group prayers. I get so nervouse and i dont know what to say . But when it comes to personal prayer im fine because its me and God and theres no one around.
Back to top Go down
sabidoo

Number of posts : 2068
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Group Prayer   Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:03 pm

About 6 months ago my preacher called on me to dismiss the Sunday service. Imagine...sabidoo...SPEECHLESS!?!

I always thought stage fright was something made up.

Anyway, I bowed my head and spoke to God aloud. To this day I don't know what I said cuz it just came out. Must not have been too bad cuz I have been asked a number of times since. I still don't like nor agree with praying aloud, and I still get as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs, but I rekon I can hold my own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18184
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Group Prayer   Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:55 pm

I tend to get very nervous. I try my best to just pray out loud like I would if I am alone. I hope it means something to someone else.

It is easier to pray aloud, for me, if you are praying in a circle with everyone taking turns praying. Then, if I don't go first, I'm perfectly at ease. At a Free Methodist church we went to for a few months, they did this and I loved it. If you could get in a small group with people who shared similar experiences in their lives, it made praying for/with each other an awesome experience. It's the only thing I really miss from that little church. Too bad it no longer exists.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2949
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Group Prayer   Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:07 pm

I don't mind group praying. I think I do as well there if not better than when I'm alone. Where I'm bad at is praying with my family. Sad

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Group Prayer   

Back to top Go down

Group Prayer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1