Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?

Go down 
+4
Through The Dark Radio
Staybrite
alldatndensum
Xid
8 posters

1 - 2 Months
How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_vote_lcap0%How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3 - 4 Months
How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_vote_lcap89%How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_vote_rcap
 89% [ 8 ]
5 - 6 Months
How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_vote_lcap11%How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
7 - 8 Months
How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_vote_lcap0%How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
9 - 10 Months
 0% [ 0 ]
11 Months to 1 Year
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? Empty
PostSubject: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 11:52 pm

I humbly beseech the CHM Assembly:  How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?

See you at the poll!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 6:14 am

I would say 3-4 months.  Many artists start WAY before that I and I just get tired of hearing about it.  Michael Sweet has been hawking the new project with George Lynch since August.  I think this type of hype is unneeded.  The fans want to know you are working on something, but it is okay to not really start the sales push until the whole project is done.  It takes a while to mix and master, have CDs made, get them shipped to retailers, etc.  Give a few little blurbs about your behind the scenes work.  Then, when the album is really on the way, talk it up big for a shorter amount of time.  That will keep the fans excited and ready to hear what you've got.

When an artist goes for months and even sometimes a year or more talking about the new project that is coming soon, I just get tired of it and probably don't give it as much attention as I should. 

I like the way Saint does things.  They announce they are writing again for a new record and then go silent for a while.  Then, they announce they are going into the studio.  Again, they go silent for the most part but do throw you a musical bone with a clip or video to tide you over.  Then, when they are almost done with the recording process, they start talking it up for a couple of weeks and activate the preorder link.  Once that starts, we have come to learn that the new album is 3 weeks to a month away.  We're excited for it.  A month of waiting isn't bad.  Having to wait for 5 months on a preorder like Sweet/Lynch is doing is way too much.  I might preorder that one sometime in the latter part of January.  Until then, I just really don't care as I am already tired of the hype.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 9:59 am

I completely agree.  A really bad example of "too early hype" would be Worldview.  They have shared two songs but it seems like it has been in excess of a year that they have been promising and promoting their album.  At this point I really don't want to hear another word from them until they have an album to sell.

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 10:16 am

I would go so far as to say 5-6 months but updates should come every month for the first four and a half months, bi-weekly for three weeks and then weekly for the remainer.
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 11:42 am

Staybrite wrote:
I completely agree.  A really bad example of "too early hype" would be Worldview.  They have shared two songs but it seems like it has been in excess of a year that they have been promising and promoting their album.  At this point I really don't want to hear another word from them until they have an album to sell.

This was exactly the example I was thinking of. I first heard of Worldview in the summer of 2013. Now, I really don't want to hear more until there's a solid release date.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 3:18 pm

Thank you all for your input.  I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 4:17 pm

I voted 3-4 months. Less than that is okay too, but more than 4 months and I just don't care.

Example - I pledged $50 to Michael Knott for his new EP and a live DVD way back in September. Mike's a favorite so I was happy to support. They filmed the concert in early October then I get an update that I won't get my stuff until December 2015! Jeezaloo!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 5:02 pm

I also said 3 to 4 for the exact same reasons everyone has stated. 

I think the same should go for movies too... I don't mind knowing they're working on Star Wars 7, but I hate that they're advertising it for a year from now.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
... I don't mind knowing they're working on Star Wars 7, but I hate that they're advertising it for a year from now.

Agreed

Xid

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 8:38 pm

3 to 4 it is.  That's what my wife said, too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 8:44 pm

And I think if the music stinks they should apologize and give your money back. (looking at you Guardian)
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 10:39 pm

Redeemed Fool wrote:
And I think if the music stinks they should apologize and give your money back. (looking at you Guardian)

Exactly!  Luckily, I did sell mine.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 10:48 pm

Surprisingly, the Amazon reviews are positive.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 10:53 pm

I like it.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 9:40 am

Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
... I don't mind knowing they're working on Star Wars 7, but I hate that they're advertising it for a year from now.

Agreed

Same with the Hunger Games. I love that they turned the trilogy into movies but it sucks that I have to wait until this time next year to see the last one...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start?   How Far In Advance Should Album Promotion Start? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1