For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Doing a project on Messianic prophecy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Driven

Number of posts : 5627
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Doing a project on Messianic prophecy   Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Right now, I'm starting on an assignment that was given at the very beginning of the year and that is due tomorrow… Very Happy Don't worry, though, I have this under control and have over half done it. Anyway, I chose to talk about Messianic prophecy, or prediction of Jesus's life and work - outside of the actual "prophets" - in the Old Testament. There are a few places where God and/or the author allude to the Messiah, notably in the eras of Genesis and David. God promises at the Fall that Eve's descendant (Jesus) will crush the serpent (Genesis 3:15); God promises Abraham that the nations will be blessed through his offspring (Jesus), and specifically ALL the nations as opposed to just the sons of Abraham [which means we're included - this was a big obstacle to the Jews when Jesus first came] (Genesis 12:3); Job knows that his Redeemer (Jesus) has already saved him. David, meanwhile, speaks of the Lord, Son of God specifically (Psalm 110); God promises to David that his descendant (Jesus) will reign forever (2 Samuel 7:16); David writes a Psalm that perfectly describes Jesus's crucifixion, and is quoted by Jesus Himself as he is on the cross (Psalm 22).

I know that's a lot of stuff, and probably not clear (don't worry, my project is a lot clearer Laughing), but I just find it so cool that in the Old Testament, there are glimpses and hints of a Messiah who will save the world from its present state. Just wanted to share this with y'all, and maybe have a bit of discussion about it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Doing a project on Messianic prophecy   Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 pm

Some scholars think that parts of the Ark/Flood account mirror Jesus' coming... I'd have to look up why again tho...
Back to top Go down
Driven

Number of posts : 5627
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Doing a project on Messianic prophecy   Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:45 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Some scholars think that parts of the Ark/Flood account mirror Jesus' coming... I'd have to look up why again tho...

The first thing that comes to mind is this: "37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." (Matthew 24)

I'm sure many parallels can be drawn, even if there are stretches. I'd have to take the time to make connections. It could be a cool exercise.
Back to top Go down
Samson

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Doing a project on Messianic prophecy   Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 pm

I often think of Balaam's prophecy in Numbers 24:17

“I see Him, but not now;
I behold Him, but not near;
A Star shall come out of Jacob;
A Scepter shall rise out of Israel,
And batter the brow of Moab,
And destroy all the sons of tumult.
Back to top Go down
https://gabrielkinson.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doing a project on Messianic prophecy   

Back to top Go down