Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)

Go down 
+6
Guilty/Forgiven
Redeemed Fool
Xid
rockerVu2
Hardkore
MikeInFla
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) Empty
PostSubject: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 7:33 am

I could have added this to the picture thread but I wanted to start a new topic. Alldat and I have something in common - we both love A Christmas Story. 

A few months ago my wife wanted to plan a road trip. Being from Florida my kids have not seen a lot of snow. My youngest had never seen ANY snow and my 13 year old saw some when she was about 5. 

So I told my wife "surprise us". She planned a trip and didn't tell us where we were going. Kind of cool to get in the van and just drive. She said she figured there would be snow at our first destination since it was in the mountains. There was no snow there at all, it was just cold. Our first stop was Mayberry!! Mt. Airy, NC! A very small mountain town where Andy Griffith was raised. There is a museum there but unfortunately they do not let you take pictures so this was all I ended up with:

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150117_134333958

A very cool museum with sets, props, costumes, etc. it actually takes maybe 20 minutes to look at everything but you could spend a couple of hours if you read all the letters and documents on the wall. We walked downtown and while a very cool old-timey town, it looks nothing like Mayberry (which of course was a shot on a studio lot in California). There is a Floyd's Barber Shop downtown and just about every store sells Mayberry merchandise. I picked up some of "Thelma-Lou's Peach Butter".

So we hit the road the next morning in search of snow. It wasn't looking good. My wife checked the forecast on the next destination and there was a 50 % chance of snow but the temp was 36. As we entered Ohio we started to see signs of snow which excited the kids. I made the suggestion that we stop off at a rest area and see if there was snow in the picnic area. There was! About 6 inches worth and while we were there it began to snow pretty good. 

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_115827071

So we finally arrive in Cleveland (by this time I figured out where we were going!). We went to the hotel but it was too early to check in. We decided to go ahead and drive to Ralphie's house!!

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_131201746

Here's the lamp in the window!

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_131709548

There were a lot of people on the tour. Here is a shot of the living room.

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_131747587

Look what is hidden behind the desk!

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) DSCN2874

A tour guide gives a lot of trivia about the house and the movie. It was very interesting. She said when they were looking for locations they wanted a blue collar area and loved this house because there is a steel mill seen from the backyard. When Bob Clark tried to find the owner he could not track him down. He finally found him in a local bar and said they wanted to use his house for a movie. The guy said NO WAY. So Bob Clark offered him $30,000 for 90 days. The guy said "here's the keys!". When they got inside the house they loved it, however it was too small to fit all of the cameras so many of the scenes inside the house had to be shot on a sound stage in Canada. She did tell us that anytime you see a window the scene was shot in the house but anytime you couldn't see out of a door or window, it was shot on the sound stage. Some of the interior doesn't match up with the movie but it is incredibly close. Here is a pic of our guide giving us the details of the home:

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_131814704

Here I am with a major award!

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_133644077

My wife and kids with a major award!

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_133349025_HDR

More pics to follow, this message is getting huge.....
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 7:44 am

Calling Schwartz's Mom... My daughter was dumb-founded by the rotary phone.

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_134106090

Sitting on Ralphie's bed

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_133921298

In the kitchen!

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_134658827_HDR

Me under the sink!

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_134813119_HDR

My kids out back!

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_134854399

And from across the street

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) IMG_20150118_141641193_HDR

The museum has a lot of props and costumes and interesting trivia. A lot of the movie was shot in Canada for several reasons. One: More snow than Cleveland. Two: The woman who played Miss Shields was from Toronto and was 8 months pregnant and refused to travel to Ohio so they found a school close to her to film the school scenes. 

I have always wanted to go to this house and it was very cool, but very fast. They spend about 15 minutes talking and then you get about 15 minutes to tour the house. We were the last ones to leave. In fact before we left the next tour had started so we stayed quiet while in the kitchen.

Alldat, I intended to ask them if they saw your video but the tour guides seem to be in a hurry and well educated about the house but didn't seem like they would know what I was talking about if I told them to go on YouTube and look it up. 

Was cool seeing it with snow on the ground. If you ever go, parking on the street is free but the Bumpuses charge 5 bucks for parking so avoid them!
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 8:58 am

That is cool (pun intended). I bet that was a nice surprise road trip.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 9:13 am

A non-YouTube video, trying out Vimeo.

Tour of living room

Tour of bedroom

Outside and backyard
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 9:47 am

I tried to check on Netflix to see if I can watch A Christmas Story.
No results.
But that's here.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 10:17 am

Looks like a lot of fun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 11:22 am

I'm jealous.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 11:46 am

Very cool indeed !!!
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Aww, way cool!  What a great sounding trip.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 1:03 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
I tried to check on Netflix to see if I can watch A Christmas Story.
No results.
But that's here.
We are finding out (at least at my house) that a lot of great movies are missing from Netflix. A Christmas Story is not on it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23424
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Wow, what a cool trip!  I am officially jealous.  Very Happy

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 2:17 pm

Don't even get me started on Netflix. 
Worse selection ever ! We've had to rent movies on Amazon that you'd think would be common old movies available on Netflix. They don't have It's a Wonderful Life, any Dirty Harry movies, pretty much any movies I search for...they don't have. We only keep our subscription cuz of TV series- which is pretty much all they're good for. 
Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled thread. :-)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23424
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Don't even get me started on Netflix. 
Worse selection ever ! We've had to rent movies on Amazon that you'd think would be common old movies available on Netflix. They don't have It's a Wonderful Life, any Dirty Harry movies, pretty much any movies I search for...they don't have. We only keep our subscription cuz of TV series- which is pretty much all they're good for. 
Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled thread. :-)

I'm of the opinion that the TV series selection on netflix (streaming) is pretty decent (even if it is perpetually one season late), but the movie selection is horrible....the vast majority of movies are poor B & C-grade flicks.  I have started half a dozen interesting sounding movies only to quit them 15 minutes later and never waste my time on them again.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Man, I'd love to visit that house!  I am definitely jealous!

This is the first year in a LONG time that I did not watch A Christmas Story.  I guess after working on the song and video that I felt like I had seen it.  LOL

I wish the museum would take notice of the song and use it.  I'd love to have people singing "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" after visiting.  First Dr. Demento Show; tomorrow, A Christmas Story house!!!  Mwahahahaha!!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Send the song to the museum.  They probably have an email and/or Facebook page.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 5:52 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

This is the first year in a LONG time that I did not watch A Christmas Story.  I guess after working on the song and video that I felt like I had seen it.  LOL

I wish the museum would take notice of the song and use it.  I'd love to have people singing "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" after visiting.  First Dr. Demento Show; tomorrow, A Christmas Story house!!!  Mwahahahaha!!!!

Sometime you should plan a road trip there. We just happened to pick the right time I guess because gas was cheap (mostly around $1.80). I think our hotel was $69 plus tax and our Garmin took us right to the house. Plus, it is much closer for you than it is for me to drive there. I think it is about an 8 hour drive from the Nashville area.

Some more trivia, the guy who owns the house bought it on e-bay. The house had been completely destroyed in the inside. The outside had been re-done. When he bought it it looked like this:

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) DSCF0116

They said all the copper inside had been stolen and floors and walls had holes. He paid $150,000 for it but at that time houses in the area were selling for less than $30,000.  The inside was a complete mess and he remodeled the whole house and looked at movie stills to get it as close as possible. They said he spent over $240,000 of his own money on restoration alone. I am sure he has made his money back because admission is 10 bucks for adults (my youngest got in free and my older daughter paid the kid rate of $6). But it was worth every penny I would go again in a heartbeat. 

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) DSCF0104

Front porch had to be completely rebuilt.

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) DSCF1026

The room here on the left of the picture was closed off, we could not go in it. I did not see the parent's room where Ralph sticks the Red Ryder ad in Look Magazine.

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) DSCF1043

They did an excellent job making it look just like the movie set but some things were different.

As luck would have it, my Flip! Video Camera was completely dead when we got there so I could not make the videos I wanted to make. I wanted to video the whole thing and then add some music so I was stuck using my cell phone video camera. Those turned out OK and I stuck them on Vimeo. 

Across the street is a store that sells all kinds of merchandise from Stocking Caps, goggles, bunny suits, leg lamps of all sizes, anything you could ever want. I only bought a bumper sticker while buying our tickets. I wanted to go back to the store when we were done but she said no because I would see something that I wanted. 

They also have the "old man's" car on display and the old firetruck from the flag pole scene (or a truck like it). They also have the chalk board on display with the A++++++++ written across it. 

It was one of the most enjoyable trips I have had in years and I would love to go back again some day (and probably will!).
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 12:46 pm

MikeInFla, I might check out YouTube.
Sometimes it's hard to watch here all the movies you can watch in the US.
Special all the Christian movies. 
I don't give it up.

And the house.
Yep the house.
The house is awesome.

MikeInFla, what a wonderful gesture of you to share this with us. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 6:44 am

Through The Dark Radio wrote:

I did.  I got no response whatsoever.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 8:31 am

alldatndensum wrote:

Time to plan a geocaching trip.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Through The Dark Radio wrote:

I did.  I got no response whatsoever.

Yeah, I e-mailed them too and got no response when I sent them the link.

Also, people at work have the same question for me: WHAT is in the shed?!?

Nothing, it is an empty shed. I should have included the inside of the shed in my video. For some reason people seem to ask me that question when they see the picture of my kids near the shed. 

Something else I noticed in the house -- No damper. I wanted to close the damper on the furnace but it isn't there. Yesterday I noticed the house next door to the immediate right of the house is gone.

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) Img_3734

The house on the right was torn down and is now part of the backyard. I didn't realize it until yesterday when I saw this picture but when we were there I was thinking something didn't look right and it was the house next door being gone. Several of the homes in the area have been completely restored. Before this was turned into a tourist attraction the houses were pretty run down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)   For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For ALLDAT (well, and everyone!)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: