Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bible study recommendations

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Bible study recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Bible study recommendations   Bible study recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 10:27 am

So as I get older, the more I realize I don't know about the Bible. I'm looking to study a few specific topics in the coming year and would like some recommendations.

The first thing I want to study is eschatology. Will there really be a "rapture"? What does the book of Revelation really mean? Stuff like that.

Any book, study or essay recommendations would be appreciated. And even though I believe openness theology, I would read stuff by those of other persuasions.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Bible study recommendations   Bible study recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 12:05 pm

I used to read a lot of End Times stuff.  I quit.  To be honest, there are too many trains of thought and all are theory until one of them turns out to be right.

I just tend to let Jesus be the key to understanding prophecies in both the Old and New Testaments.  I also don't worry about it a lot.  I know what I think is right, but I am open to other ideas.  All I definitely know is that Jesus Himself said He would return in like manner as when He ascended.

So, as far as recommending books, I would mostly recommend prayer and read it yourself using Jesus' teachings as the keys.  Does that sound vague?  Probably, but it is all I would offer to anyone. 

Why?  I feel that people get fixated on the end more than they do on the One who is everything:  Jesus.  We fixate on our beliefs vs. everyone else's.  We fixate on End Times prophecies.  We fixate on demons/Satan.  In all of our fixations, we tend to leave out the importance of Jesus and a relationship with Him.  If that relationship is right, then the rest will work itself out as the Holy Spirit guides us into all truth.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Bible study recommendations   Bible study recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Good advice alldat. Maybe I'll do that since no one has recommended anything yet...
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Bible study recommendations   Bible study recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I've never run into an impassioned, neutral discussion of all (major) views on end times, free will/predestination/sovereignty, dispensation/covenant, etc. I'd like to find one someday, and if not, I'd like to write one.

Just don't get the CMR Theology Bible study. (sorry, those jokes will never grow old… Razz)
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Bible study recommendations   Bible study recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 7:24 am

Driven wrote:
I've never run into an impassioned, neutral discussion of all (major) views on end times, free will/predestination/sovereignty, dispensation/covenant, etc.

This!  I have yet to see an online discussion that really got into deep theological waters stay friendly.  Eventually, someone throws a cloaked insult and the poo-poo hits the fan.

I still love Disciple's song when it comes to these matters:

I just know Jesus is the truth
I just know Jesus is the way
I just know Jesus is the life
I just know Jesus is my God!

Ba-da-da da-da--da-da--da-da da-dum

(Yes, you all just did the riff with your mouth guitar--its okay!)

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Bible study recommendations   Bible study recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 8:24 am

This is cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bible study recommendations   Bible study recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 11:56 am

Quote :
I would read stuff by those of other persuasions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_eschatology#Orthodox_Judaism
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bible study recommendations   Bible study recommendations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bible study recommendations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: