Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals Empty
PostSubject: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 2:18 pm

http://www.papermag.com/2015/03/christian_music_festivals.php

Interesting article/interview.  I'm not sure I like John Cooper's answers very much.   Neutral

Last edited by BearDad on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 2:29 pm

I didn't read the responses from every artist but I read all of John's and few of the other scattered responses.  I have to say I agree, I wasn't really impressed with most of what John had to say there.

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 3:19 pm

I think it was a good article. Some highlights for me:

John Cooper:
"So if you sign an autograph for them, that's not going to be enough; they're also going to want a picture. And if you don't take a picture, they'll accuse you maybe of not being a good Christian. So if you take a photo, then they want a second photo, with a different camera with a funny face. They're not trying to be rude; they honestly feel like, "This is my hero, and he says he's a Christian. How can he possibly not give me the time of day?"

I've seen this happen.

Josh Caterer
"There was an entirely different set of criteria that was making them respond to the music, and I couldn't grasp what it was. I feel that way about popular contemporary Christian music to a large extent. I hear what's being played on Christian radio and it seems so processed and so formulaic that it lacks any of the basic spark that would appeal, I would think, to any real appreciator of music."

I've been saying this for years, albeit much less eloquently.

Colton Dixon:
"I'm not trying to get all biblical, but God called us to love one another and go out into the world. And if you look at the life of Jesus, he wasn't spending his time in churches and synagogues; he was out hanging out with the prostitutes and the gamblers. And man, I think church has it so backwards nowadays, and it's a shame. But yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to do: to go out and play music for whoever is willing to listen. Doesn't matter if you're a believer or not. You're always welcome."

I don't care for Colton or his music, but I have a lot of respect for this position.

John Cooper:
" And yes, there have been times when there's been strippers and maybe some drug or alcohol abuse going on, but typically they keep that stuff to themselves, and we keep Jesus to ourselves. "

This concerned me at first, but given the context, I see what he means.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 3:34 pm

I knew what he meant, but I don't like the implication. As Christians it is part of our commission, practically our reason for existence, to share Jesus with others, even if they don't want to.  I think too many Christian artists operating in the non-Christian world worry too much about offending the secular counterparts.  Of course I say that realizing that, not being a Christian musician, I really don't have much right to make such a declaration. No more than an "armchair coach" has much right questioning the playcalling made by the real coach! Wink
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Right. I agree. But at the same time, we can't force Jesus on those who clearly aren't interested. We can continue serving them and loving them, which I suspect John does.

It's a tough thing. I can get fired from my job for talking about my beliefs. But I still do, when the moment presents itself.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 11:51 am

Keeping Jesus to ourselves was interesting to read since he said pretty much the opposite Friday night in regard to them touring with secular groups.

John seems tough to read. I wasn't impressed by what he said the first time I saw them, was at least neutral the second time I saw him and he was pretty bold about sharing the gospel and talking about tough things this last time.

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Quote :
As Christians it is part of our commission, practically our reason for existence, to share Jesus with others, even if they don't want to

2 questions here for everyone...
1. who here tells practically everyone they meet or know about Jesus and if you do do you just tell them about Jesus or do you use it as an oppritunity to spread your theological view?
2. Which speaks louder and spreads the message..our words and evangelism or just simply living our lives as Christians (no words needed)?
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 2:17 pm

I like pistachios.

Last edited by BearDad on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 2:32 pm

Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals Dead_Horse1
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Samson wrote:
Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals Dead_Horse1

Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals 026

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals   Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inside the Sprawling World of Christian Music Fetivals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: