Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band

Go down 
+10
Fundy
kerrick
Driven
rich71
Samson
messiaen77
alldatndensum
BearDad
ishmael81
Staybrite
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 4:14 pm

I have no problem with doors that God has opened up for Stryper in bars and clubs. But to sing about Jesus's love and saving grace then say we are not a christain band or ministry that doesn't make sense. Then to say one thing in his book then say something opposite in interviews doesnt make sense. His trashing of other preachy bands doesn't sit well for me either. He's always asking for respect well how about showing some respect for other bands that are preachy and also have a significant listener base. You can say that God has called Stryper to go down a different route and that's fine but don't trash other bands that have another calling that's different then yours.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3507
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 5:14 pm

I've noticed that many musicians seem to absolutely loathe labels.  No matter what the labels are, they don't like being put in a box.  We as fans like labels because it allows us to more easily discuss, refer to, and recommend music.  I wonder if we're not all looking into this too deeply?  Maybe Michael just doesn't want to be put in a box and labeled?  Maybe he just wants his music and lyrics to speak for themselves and that be it?

p.s. I'm not saying I agree with his sentiments at all, just where he might possibly be coming from.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23456
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 6:47 pm

I still don't get why he (meaning Michael) wants the distinction between being a Christian Band or Christian's in a band.  Maybe if I understood his motivation I could agree or disagree with him (or possibly be apathetic over it).  All it all it just seems like a dumb thing to argue over to me.  You are either a Christian or not.  If you are a Christian and a musician and your music exalt's Christ so much the better.  If you are a Christian and a musician and your music is just neutral entertainment that doesn't seem like a big issue to me.  If you are a Christian and a musician and your music is contrary to Christ and his teaching you might want to rethink things.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23480
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Quote :
I still don't get why he (meaning Michael) wants the distinction between being a Christian Band or Christian's in a band.  Maybe if I understood his motivation I could agree or disagree with him (or possibly be apathetic over it).  All it all it just seems like a dumb thing to argue over to me.  You are either a Christian or not.  If you are a Christian and a musician and your music exalt's Christ so much the better.  If you are a Christian and a musician and your music is just neutral entertainment that doesn't seem like a big issue to me.  If you are a Christian and a musician and your music is contrary to Christ and his teaching you might want to rethink things.

Exactly!!!

Quote :
nope..they are a band with a Christian in it...they are spreading their Gospel south of heaven as we speak..and what is their Gospel? Show No Mercy!! And it appears that religious folks are taking it to heart and running with it...why right here on this thread and the reaction to GX project are great examples

Watch it, now.  People have a right to share their opinions without inflammatory statements directed at them.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Quote :
Watch it, now.  People have a right to share their opinions without inflammatory statements directed at them.

sorry, didn't mean any harm to anyone..I was just making a play on slayers music and using it as part of a joke..(for the record South of Heaven and Show No Mercy are both titles of slayer albums and they have referred to their lyrics as the gospel..so I was taking that and this thread on labels and making sport of it all)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 11:49 pm

Quote :
If you are a Christian and a musician and your music is contrary to Christ and his teaching you might want to rethink things.

here is the key to this whole thread..I have realized this is really about theology... I understand exactly what Michael is saying and why he is saying it..let me explain briefly...Michael is simply saying that regardless of the past strypers goal is not to be a ministry....they simply want to be a rock band who sings about whatever they want...they want people to buy their music because they like it and its good..not because of their religious views... Michael is saying that in his opinion those who buy music based on the life and belief of the artist is ludacrious to him (and I agree) however he also has said that if thats what some want and thats how some believe then live and let live... I have a problem with the "Christian" label myself but since that is what the rest of you feel is necessary (secular and christian labels) I use it... I think the same holds true for Michael... Michael holds to the grace message and belief that me and ishmael and deepfriar hold ..in our belief we believe that what sets us apart from the secular world is the one simple fact that we have a relationship with Christ and the world doesn't..we believe that we are not under the law, works, obedience or religion but instead under grace...we dont believe that any sins are held against us and that we are free to live as we choose..we do believe that one's life is at its best when they follow the spirit but regardless of how we live we are still saved because self actions mean nothing to our salvation...as a result it is easy for us to walk away from Christian labels, books, art, tv, etc. and simply live our life and enjoy music and art on the bases of if it rocks get it and if it doesn't ..move on. thats why the belief and lifestyle of the artist really plays no bearing. Evangelicalism to us is simply living out life simply and allowing the spirit to use us when and if he wants...we think that one comes to Christ because they simply became convinced that Jesus is who he says he is and will do what he says he will do..save us and give us FREEDOM and release us from obedience..Now I am not trying to turn this into a grace theology lesson but I am trying to explain it to you from the point of view that we and I think Michael view things...I suggest the new stryper album will be from a christian world view (like many of the other bands discussed here) but not from a ministry point of view..Thats exactly what the idea behind Against the Law was..a christian world view without ministry.. yes, they throw out bibles but that is what they have done from the beginning and to be honest has just become part of the show now...its a keepsake or memorabilia item one can take home...I have one from an early show and it is plastered with stryper stickers that the band put on it (to promote stryper?) ... After all this I have let my past run-ins with Michael go and I have embraced stryper and I am really excited to hear the new album... (for the record the sweet/lynch album is not a christian album in any way) I think (I could be wrong) that Michael would simply say to all of his fans if you dig our music buy it and if you dont like it or the lyrics then dont buy it but dont bash us or question our beliefs...
Back to top Go down
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 12:28 am

I'm tired of Michael and I'm tired of his arrogance. I'm tired of him begging people to buy t-shirts, voting on his videos and stryper videos. I'm tired of his interviews and I'm tired of stryper.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 8:44 am

kerrick wrote:
I've noticed that many musicians seem to absolutely loathe labels.  No matter what the labels are, they don't like being put in a box.  We as fans like labels because it allows us to more easily discuss, refer to, and recommend music.  I wonder if we're not all looking into this too deeply?  Maybe Michael just doesn't want to be put in a box and labeled?  Maybe he just wants his music and lyrics to speak for themselves and that be it?

p.s. I'm not saying I agree with his sentiments at all, just where he might possibly be coming from.

This. In that link I posted about Emery, Toby (their singer/guitarist) says this very thing. I've also heard Mark Salomon say it. They're vocal about their faith but when they get labelled "Christian band" people have expectations about what they should sing about and the style of music. Mark said that's why Stavesacre left Tooth and Nail in the early '00's. They weren't trying to hide their faith but rather have freedom in their art.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 9:34 am

Squirrel!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 10:00 am

The Theology Realm lives!   affraid
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 12:58 pm

BearDad wrote:
The Theology Realm lives!   affraid
SQUIRREL, SQUIRREL, SQUIRREL!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Rolling Eyes you guys are impossible...this thread has run its course...mods..lock it!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band   Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael Sweet says that Stryper is not a christian rock band
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4