For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Job issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3325
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Job issues   Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm

So a few weeks ago, my boss's boss pulled me aside and told me a bunch of good stuff about me. Basically, that I was next in line for the Manager position when my boss retires (likely about this time next year) and that in another 4 or 5 years, I'll be in line for her job as Assistant Superintendent.

The fact is that I generally like my job and I'm good at it. Not trying to be arrogant, but I'm good. So I got excited and started putting in even more effort and all that.

Then this week, some weird stuff started happening. People from central office showed up (my boss's boss's boss's boss...) unnannounced. They've started doing some things that they did in 2012. Which is the year they closed the location I worked for and I almost got laid off and ended up demoted with a pay cut for almost a year.

So now I'm stuck. Do I keep plugging away and shoot for the Manager's position? Or do I look for something new? The problem is I've been here since 2007 and I somehow don't have many skills to show for it on my resume'...

Prayer appreciated but any suggestions or words of wisdom would also be.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18063
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri May 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Can't tell you what to do, but will be praying for you.

Number of posts : 419

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri May 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Praying...
Back to top Go down
bassdude

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri May 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Praying...
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks you guys for praying. Today we had an "Expectations Meeting" which was vaguely reminiscent of when we closed the other site. It just feels like deja vu' to me. Maybe since I went through it once before, I'm paranoid but to be honest, I really really feel like I gotta make a move to get out of here.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:56 am

So I know you guys are tired of hearing about my job crap but...

Well, I have to go. I have to leave. This place has become unbearable and it's only going to get worse. And the good news is that the guy in my same position has been gone for a week because his dad past away (which I'm sad for) and he's likely to be out next week too. And our manager is on vacation. So it's all on me for a whole week.

For those of you praying, please pray I find a new job soon. I don't think I can deal with this place much longer.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8863
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Do what is best for you and those you love.  I'm learning that struggling away my life in my condition is a big joke, and when I decided to make a huge life change, it's scary, but so freeing !  
Sometimes you have to do what's best for #1... in order to be of any good to anyone else.  Having job struggles that you are tearing you down ?  QUIT ! Move on. We have to work and earn livings in this life, but we don't have to be miserable doing it.  One of the greatest decisions I made career-wise was leaving my previous Pharmacy gig, where I was being torn apart everyday, and founded the job I've worked at for the last 5+ years.  It was a great decision on my part, and all my stress and issues went away (today's problems are an all together different subject for me with my health, but that's another story).  So just go with it.  God ALWAYS takes care of His kids - guaranteed.  So re-read your signature of Joshua 1:9 and do what you have to.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Still praying for you brother, I hope you can get into a better situation with work.

Number of posts : 615

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:35 pm

I took a pay cut to get away from my last job. That was 19 months ago. My blood pressure is now at the lowest it's been in a while.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Samson that's awesome.  I had similar in that I used ta pop Xanax like candy when I worked at my previous job. Super stressful. Then I was blessed to move out of that stress-fest into a much easier job with lower stress. It was a good run for the last 5 years.

That's why I say just do it !  God will take care of ya.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:56 am

I could use some continued prayer. My anxiety level is the highest it's been in years. I'm looking for a job that will still support my family (my wife is only able to work part time after her surgery in January).

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:55 am

Praying....
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Still praying for you brother.

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Hello. Just an update...

So the other guy in the same position as me and I met with our manager today. It was terrible. Basically, her boss's boss is all over us because we haven't made changes (oddly enough, changes we were told to not make yet). She actually said "You guys look stupid."

*sigh*

She then proceeded to tell our manager a bunch of things we have to add to our workload now, including the three of us working evening and night shifts...

You know, at some point last week, the thought occurred to me that it would be nice to just drive a truck or something.

I hate my job you guys. I hate it so much it's making me very bitter and irritable and frankly, it makes me not want to even pray. It hasn't been said but I know that Central Office is looking at plans to close our location. If that happens, I'll be unemployed.

I've been looking for a job and praying for one for well over three years because I knew this day would be coming and it seems that God isn't even listening.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2316
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Ah crap man, that sounds like an absolutely miserable and horrible work environment.  I wonder though if God may be allowing this to happen to prepare you for some bigger change?  Perhaps you were holding onto something that you shouldn't and this is all a part of the process of being ready to sever ties with your current employment.  Maybe God has been wanting you to drive a truck since you were born and it's only now that you're coming around to it!  Wink  But seriously, this could be the end of one chapter so that a fresh and new one can commence.  I hope and pray that is the case.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Really hoping you can find a better (or at least less stressful) job soon.

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:01 pm

I know for a fact that God will bring you through and you'll be better off than ever !  What I'm praying for is that it's SOON and doesn't drag out.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks guys. I feel bad about this whole situation. My wife even said something last night about how cranky I've been. I don't want to be though....

I just don't know what to do. It seems like all the jobs that pay what I make (which isn't a fortune...), I'm not qualified for and the jobs I am qualified for, I'd have to get a second job (again) to pay all our bills...

Anyway, thanks for the prayers and encouraging words. I'm really struggling with this and I've shared with my wife and some friends and it's ncie to have my online friends to talk to.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:08 pm

I was just talking to my wife the other day about how I would like to get a job with substantially less stress than I have right now but I couldn't find anything paying close to 2/3 of what I make now.  Kind of makes me feel a little trapped.  Fortunately I work with (and for) good people, and I enjoy the kind of work I do....so I will just have to work through it.
Of course my situation isn't anywhere near as bad as what you have reported.

Admin

Number of posts : 17978
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:19 am

I went through the whole "I've been praying and God isn't listening/I'm angry because He isn't listening" phase.  I wanted out of Bridgestone for many years (1990-2009) and prayed that God would create a door. What I wanted was just to walk out and quit and expected a job to materialize.  I just couldn't quit with the money I made was my reasoning.  I spent the better part of 10 years waiting for freedom.

In 2009, my chance came.  We were going into layoffs, and the higher senior people had the ability to volunteer to go.  We had better recall rights than the newer guys.  I volunteered with no job in sight.  I was going to seek out being a youth pastor in a church more than just a voluteer basis.  I took the layoff in March but didn't get the job at my current church until July.  I also needed to keep my summers free, and so I took a job as a substitute teacher to suppliment my income.  I was making about the same as I did at Bridgestone--well, except for the summer months when I wasn't getting paid from the school system.

Two years of subbing, and I wanted a more permanent position.  I took a job in a behavioral class at one school that I hated almost immediately.  I did 4 months of that and God opened up the door to the special needs class I am currently in as an aid.  I've been here over 3 years (will be 4 in February).  I absolutely love what I do now!

Why such a long story?  Because God IS listening, but He is getting you to the REAL place you need to be to accept what He has in store for you.  For the 10 years I wanted out of Bridgestone, I was not ready spiritually to go where I wanted to go.  I imagine that the Lord is doing the same for you.  Just hold on, but keep doing your part by filling out applications and sweetening that resume.  With that, I simply mean rewriting what skills you have in the most positive ways so that you can sell yourself in an interview.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:29 am

Good words you guys. I am really trying to just be patient - I've been here 6 years and looking for a job off and on for almost 4. My blood pressure remains elevated, I stress eat (I've put on about 30 pounds in the last 18 months), my anxiety is high... *sigh*

Thanks for the encouragement and prayers.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2924
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:51 am

We know God is always listening, but He often doesn't give us the answers we want and certainly not on OUR timing. I agree that He is prepping you for something else, perhaps nothing you're even expecting. In some cases you may need to step out on faith, too.

In the meantime, you still need to be the best you can be where you're at. Seems like they really need to see more of Jesus there. And maybe that is why He hasn't called you out of it yet. ???

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:24 am

So not an issue at my job but...

My wife and I are good friends with our pastor and his wife. My wife also works for our church part time. My wife was talking to our pastor's wife about my job situation and how I feel pretty hopeless right now.

Long story short, our pastor's wife asked me to send my resume to her to see what she could do. She works for a large healthcare company (her department alone has 2500 employees in the region) and she would forward it to her HR rep. She also helps with hiring and knows several recruiters and is going to contact them.

I appreciate your prayers thus far but if you would also say a quick prayer about this. If this is what opens the door, so be it. I'm ready to move to the next place I'm supposed to be.

Thanks gang.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:28 pm

Sounds like an answer maybe ?  Will definitely pray about that !
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Sounds like an answer maybe ?  Will definitely pray about that !

Ditto!

PostSubject: Re: Job issues   

Back to top Go down

Job issues
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next