Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mixing/Mastering

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Mixing/Mastering Empty
PostSubject: Mixing/Mastering   Mixing/Mastering I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 9:07 pm

What is the difference between Mixing and Mastering a song or album.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Mixing/Mastering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixing/Mastering   Mixing/Mastering I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 10:28 pm

Put simply, mixing is adjusting the volume levels of each track so that they blend together.  If the bass is too loud, drop its volume a bit.  Likewise if the kick drum is too quiet you bring its level up.

Mastering on the other hand is going through each track and adjusting the EQ to remove or boost frequencies.  It's not something you just do as it's a craft.  There's more to it than just adjusting the EQ.  A song that has been mastered will sound good across different devices like a high end stereo and a smart phone.

Alldat will explain it better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Mixing/Mastering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixing/Mastering   Mixing/Mastering I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 5:57 am

An example of a remix would be Saint - The Mark. On The Mark the drums sound a bit thin. If you listen to the Remix (The Revelation) it is the SAME drum tracks, however they sound like they have a ton more boom and even the guitars have a different sound. It was first remixed, then sent to Cliffy for remastering.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Mixing/Mastering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixing/Mastering   Mixing/Mastering I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 am

Quote :

Put simply, mixing is adjusting the volume levels of each track so that they blend together.  If the bass is too loud, drop its volume a bit.  Likewise if the kick drum is too quiet you bring its level up.

Mastering on the other hand is going through each track and adjusting the EQ to remove or boost frequencies.  It's not something you just do as it's a craft.  There's more to it than just adjusting the EQ.  A song that has been mastered will sound good across different devices like a high end stereo and a smart phone.

Alldat will explain it better.

No, that about sums it up!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Sponsored content

Mixing/Mastering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixing/Mastering   Mixing/Mastering I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mixing/Mastering
Page 1 of 1